The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agree 100%.  And if we retain 50% that TDL return will be even more.  Will we trade Miller at the TDL though if our club is in a playoff spot or fighting for a spot?  I “hope” we will, because (as you point out) the return will be a lot.  I just don’t “think” (considering our owner) we will. 

Exactly!! If we are in the playoffs and look ready to do some damage or in a fight but looking good the chances of trading Miller at the TDL is pretty much zero! 

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Horvat lives in London, ON.

So I guess we’re finally getting Kerfoot from the Laffs at the trade deadline. 

I mean, if Makar does a Gaudreau in a few years, he'd probably not want to live too close to his family so Calgary and Edmonton are out leaving Vancouver as his most logical destination. Just dreaming...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

We were shopping Miller last season until 2 weeks before the TDL when we took him off the market.  Chytil, Lundquist, and the Rangers’ 2022 first was a fair offer.  We might hav3 been able to get even more if we kept Miller on the market.  There is no reason to believe (if we are in a playoff spot or close) our owner will allow us to trade Miller at the 2023 TDL.  

Alf, your post is 100% speculation with zero support. It is completely hearsay that we were ever shopping him, or that this package was ever offered. It was speculated by the media, its along the lines of, "Someone living under a bridge overheard someone up on the sidewalk discussing what they thought was fair value"

ALL trade approvals stop on Rutherford's desk. He would not have taken the job under any other conditions. He would not have pulled himself out of retirement and moved across the country at the age of 73, without control of all hiring, firing and trades.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Enjoy Petey walking as a UFA then.

Wow relax just because something has not happened. Do not think the team will fall apart.How old are you and do you or have you ever been in any sport for more then ten yes,cause you sound like you might be 12.

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Wow relax just because something has not happened. Do not think the team will fall apart.How old are you and do you or have you ever been in any sport for more then ten yes,cause you sound like you might be 12.

What’s so hard to grasp about trading your best player(s) at the trade deadline while you’re competing for a playoff spot would not sit well with the locker room at all?

• Vintage 1

Just now, Pears said:

What’s so hard to grasp about trading your best player(s) at the trade deadline while you’re competing for a playoff spot would not sit well with the locker room at all?

So they should just let the most valuable asset they've had in a decade just walk for nothing?

Just now, cripplereh said:

Not going to dignify the personal stuff with any comment other than telling you to grow up and act like an adult.  You're suggesting taking away a key piece that allows the team to be competitive now.  If the team is in the playoff picture, that's a horrible message to send to the group, which is why you don't usually see teams with a chance as sellers.  Throwing in the towel just over a year after removing a locker room cancer like Green is not how a winning culture is developed.  Pettersson's already on record stating that he wants the team to be competitive for his next contract.

All of this can easily be avoided by handling the situation one way or another before camp.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

If it happens and we get a great return that would speak just as loud to the players

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Letting your best player walk as a UFA would not sit well with the team either…

Theres no scenario other than JT re-signing that the players will be happy about losing their best player. The team gets immediately worse no matter what assets come back.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

If it happens and we get a great return that would speak just as loud to the players

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not going to dignify the personal stuff with any comment other than telling you to grow up and act like an adult.  You're suggesting taking away a key piece that allows the team to be competitive now.  If the team is in the playoff picture, that's a horrible message to send to the group, which is why you don't usually see teams with a chance as sellers.  Throwing in the towel just over a year after removing a locker room cancer like Green is not how a winning culture is developed.  Pettersson's already on record stating that he wants the team to be competitive for his next contract.

All of this can easily be avoided by handling the situation one way or another before camp.

So us getting two young players that make the team better for years would upset players.They know what is going on and at anytime Miller is traded that helps us in the future will make players happy.Far as growing up I mean I see the way things are going and agree.Saying other players will walk because one player hasn't been traded is childish at best.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Theres no scenario other than JT re-signing that the players will be happy about losing their best player. The team gets immediately worse no matter what assets come back.

True, but the step back is a lot less if Miller is traded before the season starts, because the return would more likely be helpful now.  TDL returns would be futures. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

So us getting two young players that make the team better for years would upset players.They know what is going on and at anytime Miller is traded that helps us in the future will make players happy.Far as growing up I mean I see the way things are going and agree.Saying other players will walk because one player hasn't been traded is childish at best.

Show me one situation where a player of Miller's quality was traded at the deadline by a team in a playoff position.  There's a reason when teams bring in rentals, the players usually show their appreciation towards management's belief in them.  The opposite is also true.

Management is on record as saying they want young players who can contribute now for a reason.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

True, but the step back is a lot less if Miller is traded before the season starts, because the return would more likely be helpful now.  TDL returns would be futures. 

No player we get now will replace what Miller brings and the players know that.

If we trade him now I doubt we make the playoffs.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

and I don't see that happening, or it would have happened already, imo.  After the JG exodus out of Calgary, they should be working to remedy this situation sooner, rather than later.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Show me one situation where a player of Miller's quality was traded at the deadline by a team in a playoff position.  There's a reason when teams bring in rentals, the players usually show their appreciation towards management's belief in them.  The opposite is also true.

Management is on record as saying they want young players who can contribute now for a reason.

Look at what the rangers offered us Thier is your example

1 minute ago, stawns said:

and I don't see that happening, or it would have happened already, imo.  After the JG exodus out of Calgary, they should be working to remedy this situation sooner, rather than later.  

Can’t create a trade market that isn’t there though.

Just like if they could have re-signed them they would, if they could have traded him for a good return they would have too.

Edited by DeNiro