The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd keep Garland for sure, because of his age and drive. He brings a lot of the same things Miller does via his play style imo. He's tenacious, plays bigger than he is, and typically puts in a good effort night in and night out. He's got similar drive, plays with heart, he's actually one of the reasons I'm fine with moving Miller. You like to have guys like Miller on your team, but those guys don't have to be Miller. Garland has struggled of late, but he's not alone in that. 

I'd move Miller. I'm also open to moving Boeser though, though Boeser's in a bit of an odd spot. 

He's a pending RFA with a large qualifying offer, he's a forward who's shown he's capable of being an offensive contributor every season up til now, and he's a player you're probably selling low on if you move him imo. There's a fair chance he bounces back, Pettersson's struggled this season too for whatever reason(s), and that he may be receptive to a longer term deal with a smaller cap hit. Boeser could honestly go either way. Though despite my saying we'd probably be selling low, that doesn't mean I don't think we could get something of value for him. He's still valuable, he just inspires less confidence than he did at the end of last season. 

I think Miller probably goes. Garland? Maybe, but I'd rather he stay given his age and deal. Boeser? I think what happens with Boeser honestly depends on who JR an Al want from their top six and what they could potentially get from him. Boeser's got a great shot (or at least he did at one point) and he's an underrated passer imo, but he's not exactly fast or gritty. If management decides they want to add other elements to our top six he may be the guy who's moved to bolster another area of the roster and open up a top six slot. 

Keep Garland, work a new longer term deal with Brock at a lower cap hit or move him, and cash in on Miller. I would also explore trading Petey. People are using the Mackinnon comparison to him, but that's not a guarantee. Just look at the Virtanen/Neely comparison.

11 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

Keep Garland, work a new longer term deal with Brock at a lower cap hit or move him, and cash in on Miller. I would also explore trading Petey. People are using the Mackinnon comparison to him, but that's not a guarantee. Just look at the Virtanen/Neely comparison.

There is no cashing in.

Cashing in would be to make this team INSTANTLY better with a Miller trade. 

So far, I see nothing worth a Miller trade.

The Canucks are no longer rebuilding. They are evolving toward being a playoff team.

1st round drafts developing in the AHL don’t help this team. 

21 year olds won’t help this team make the playoffs, and won’t help this team IN the playoffs.

Miller helps this team. 

Miller is the type of player who scores the winning goal in a game seven of the Stanley Cup finals. 

You just don’t trade that type of player away. You do everything to re-sign that type of player.

Edited by Me_

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Schneider, Laff and Kakko are non-starters for Miller? 

Guess they’re not getting him then. 

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Saw the same sentiment on HF as well. 

&^@# 'em then.

Trade em to their competition then. Have fun trying to win in the East Rags.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Provost said:

That is more like it… I don’t mind Debrusk included as he makes us harder to play against and gives us an NHL body back for the short term.  He also might play with an extra chip on his shoulder having demanded a trade and wanting to prove himself.

For me though, he is more of a throw in if they need to move money out and want another one of our veteran players like Hamonic/Poolman back to help replace Carlo’s minutes.

I'd like to see:

Carlo, Debrusk, Lysell, 1st

for

Miller, Poolman

The RHD for the Canucks next year would look fantastic:

Hughes-Carlo

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Hamonic

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd like to see:

for

Miller, Poolman

Hughes-Carlo

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Hamonic

If this was an option although it's enticing. I still view the Rangers as the best suitor. If Boston was to offer this and rangers had to step up to the plate. I don't think a package of Laff, Schneider and a 1st is out of the question. Although I think Schenn or Motte would likely be a part of the Miller package. 

4 minutes ago, KKnight said:

If this was an option although it's enticing. I still view the Rangers as the best suitor. If Boston was to offer this and rangers had to step up to the plate. I don't think a package of Laff, Schneider and a 1st is out of the question. Although I think Schenn or Motte would likely be a part of the Miller package. 

Well, yeah, if NYR offers up Laff,Schneider, and a 1st, then of course we take that... my gut tells me they won't though.  The Boston package could potentially happen simply because Debrusk wants out anyways.

I'd really like us to move Poolman too.  Hamonic will likely play next year.

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

There is no cashing in.

Cashing in would be to make this team INSTANTLY better with a Miller trade. 

So far, I see nothing worth a Miller trade.

The Canucks are no longer rebuilding. They are evolving toward being a playoff team.

1st round drafts developing in the AHL don’t help this team. 

21 year olds won’t help this team make the playoffs, and won’t help this team IN the playoffs.

Miller helps this team. 

Miller is the type of player who scores the winning goal in a game seven of the Stanley Cup finals. 

You just don’t trade that type of player away. You do everything to re-sign that type of player.

You're also under the assumption that he is just going to sign here. If there was any concrete evidence that this was true, then there wouldn't be this much smoke around his name in trade rumours. "Cashing in" would be getting an acceptable return for him. Something that the previous regime was never adept at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I would also explore trading Petey. People are using the Mackinnon comparison to him, but that's not a guarantee. Just look at the Virtanen/Neely comparison.

Seem to be a waste, selling low on what up to his injury mid last season was a record breaking, Calder winning phenom that the entire league was buzzing about, who then missed a half a year, likely a large portion of offseason training, and training camp. Are we shocked he's having an off year after that?

You know what's almost as bad as a Virtanen/Neely comparison...?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd like to see:

for

Miller, Poolman

Hughes-Carlo

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Hamonic

I would like to see that too… I think Miller is worth a lot, but that might be a little rich as a return.  We would probably be sending a piece of value along with Miller if that was the return (Motte? Rathbone?)

• Like 2

Miller to the Rangers makes the most sense out of the reported teams interested; Boston, Minnesota, and Calgary due to their prospects that fit the Canucks needs and Miller being the most valuable trade option. Maybe those teams are interested in Boeser, Garland, Motte, Pearson, and Dickinson.

I still really like Anaheim's & LAK's prospect pools, don't know if they're interested in any of the Canucks' players.

How difficult of a negotiation would it be for JR and Allvin - re-signing Miller.  Is he the type to ask for the moon, with a full NMC? 

It makes me nervous that they could lock him up long term - because he's the best player right now - but after a few years he'll get frustrated with something, and as he gets older, his value will decrease.  Meanwhile the young guns (Petey, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Hughes etc) will have taken a bigger role and might be ready to carry the team. Miller could end up being a very expensive $3C in a few years.

Where was Miller on the depth chart in Tampa?  Bottom 6?  That's what he actually is, on a contender. On the Canucks, he's their best player lol 

Don't be fooled JR!

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

How difficult of a negotiation would it be for JR and Allvin - re-signing Miller.  Is he the type to ask for the moon, with a full NMC? 

It makes me nervous that they could lock him up long term - because he's the best player right now - but after a few years he'll get frustrated with something, and as he gets older, his value will decrease.  Meanwhile the young guns (Petey, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Hughes etc) will have taken a bigger role and might be ready to carry the team. Miller could end up being a very expensive $3C in a few years.

Where was Miller on the depth chart in Tampa?  Bottom 6?  That's what he actually is, on a contender. On the Canucks, he's their best player lol 

Don't be fooled JR!

This is such a terrible post. Couldn’t disagree with you any more.

Miller is top 6 material for any contending team, including Tampa. He has excelled in EVERY aspect of the game since he left that organization. He has become great at being a leader, face offs, scoring goals, passing the puck, hits, PP and now PK. He does it all and has literally demonstrated being MVP of this franchise next to Demko. 

Also. If him getting frustrated triggers you then you must have had your head in the sand these last couple years. I’m glad he gets frustrated. It means he cares. I much rather get rid of player that doesn’t give a damn. 

Management would be foolish to not try and keep him (as long as it’s at a reasonable cap hit and term). Miller is not an idiot. He can see who is up for new contracts and what our Cap is at. If he wants to stay, I’m sure he will make it work and not ask for the “moon”.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This is such a terrible post. Couldn’t disagree with you any more.

Miller is top 6 material for any contending team, including Tampa. He has excelled in EVERY aspect of the game since he left that organization. He has become great at being a leader, face offs, scoring goals, passing the puck, hits, PP and now PK. He does it all and has literally demonstrated being MVP of this franchise next to Demko. 

Also. If him getting frustrated triggers you then you must have had your head in the sand these last couple years. I’m glad he gets frustrated. It means he cares. I much rather get rid of player that doesn’t give a damn. 

Management would be foolish to not try and keep him (as long as it’s at a reasonable cap hit and term). Miller is not an idiot. He can see who is up for new contracts and what our Cap is at. If he wants to stay, I’m sure he will make it work and not ask for the “moon”.

this is his career defining contract, the one that will chart the course for the rest of his life and the rest of his kids lves most likely.  It's foolish to think he's not ging to chase as much money as he possibly can.  Further to that, why would he want to stay in Canada, where he will pay sign ificant taxes on that money when he can play in a state with little to no income tax.  Why, as an American especially, would he do that?

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

this is his career defining contract, the one that will chart the course for the rest of his life and the rest of his kids lves most likely.  It's foolish to think he's not ging to chase as much money as he possibly can.  Further to that, why would he want to stay in Canada, where he will pay sign ificant taxes on that money when he can play in a state with little to no income tax.  Why, as an American especially, would he do that?

1) he likes the coach

2) he has good friends on the team

3) he likes the city / good place to raise a family 

Those would be the top 3 reasons why he wouldn’t be just all money.

Think of it on a personal level. I, myself, have taken less money for a good supervisor, good crew to work with and where I wanted to work. 

Money isn’t everything 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who knows what some people may be thinking though... $7.5M x 8 years is $60M.  If he only pockets half of that after taxes and what not, he's still netting $30M on TOP of everything he has earned so far.

$30,000,000 over 8 years is the equivalent of earning a very healthy $150k salary for 200 years (not a typo... 200 friggin years! LMAO)

His estimated earnings so far is $27M... so take half of that too... $13.5M.

So $43.5M of lifetime earnings AFTER taxes... I really don't think money is the be all and end all for some of these guys.  Maybe it is, but maybe he'd like to be known as the guy that helped this franchise win its first ever Stanley Cup.  We'll wait and see...

• Cheers 2

Since most posters here are assuming EP , Horvat and Boeser to ever become better players than they are presently,

We should also assume the Miller wants to stay,.   Which I’m sure is going to be the first and foremost question put JT before any moves are made.

I can not see any of those three players bringing better leadership by on ice example than what JT does.

As much imagination is used into declining curves, should just as easily be used with plateaus.

Horvat, Boeser and EP might be our 3 least physical players.

Horvat let’s up and rarely finishes a check.

Boeser avoids.  .. and EP looks like a pin ball flipper at times.

One would hope , that by now, Horvat would have the leadership qualities Miller exudes and initiates..  if it’s not there, he hasn’t  got it.

It’s what is present that matters,  you build around your strengths..  you don’t “hope” for them or start creating fantasy line ups through trades.

Move what’s weak and broken,  keep what is strong and works.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

You're also under the assumption that he is just going to sign here. If there was any concrete evidence that this was true, then there wouldn't be this much smoke around his name in trade rumours. "Cashing in" would be getting an acceptable return for him. Something that the previous regime was never adept at.

Yes exactly. There is nothing wrong with making a complex decision and carrying out a plan for long-term success... for once. In comparison we've seen this organization cater to short term fan impatience over and over and over again.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Who knows what some people may be thinking though... $7.5M x 8 years is $60M.  If he only pockets half of that after taxes and what not, he's still netting $30M on TOP of everything he has earned so far.

$30,000,000 over 8 years is the equivalent of earning a very healthy $150k salary for 200 years (not a typo... 200 friggin years! LMAO)

His estimated earnings so far is $27M... so take half of that too... $13.5M.

So $43.5M of lifetime earnings AFTER taxes... I really don't think money is the be all and end all for some of these guys.  Maybe it is, but maybe he'd like to be known as the guy that helped this franchise win its first ever Stanley Cup.  We'll wait and see...

You would be wrong.

He may very well put winning a cup high on his list, but do you really believe he thinks that's going happen in Van?  Does he strike you as someone who is happy here or happy enough to.spend the bulk of his career in Canada?

Cmon

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes exactly. There is nothing wrong with making a complex decision and carrying out a plan for long-term success... for once. In comparison we've seen this organization cater to short term fan impatience over and over and over again.

You mean how we've given this core 3 years to work with?  Sedins left 3 years ago.  Petey and Hughes were just drafted in those 3 years, now we talk about how this core can't win and are ready to make drastic moves.