The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 24, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unless you tank in the Wright year (pun intended), a first overall player usually does little to help your fortunes.

The last 5 drafts have produced pretty underwhelming players.

None of Power, Lafreniere, Hughes, Dahlin, or Hischier are players that are going to drastically improve your club like a McDavid, Crosby, Mackinnon, or Kane.

Can we say Wright is any better than any of the last 5 first overalls?

*IF* we manage to snag that 1st overall pick, dangle it over the heads of the Habs (2022 will be held in Montreal) and see what we can rob from them.

9 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

who cares, doesn't matter who wears the C.... as long as you show hard nose hockey. then its good put the C on green for all i care! like luuuu had the C no one gave a damn... do you see him go chasing down refs and complaining about the refing.....

The division in the locker room (if your, post is true), is showing in how Green is deploying the roster: Pearson with Horvat is a mainstay, whereas, everyone else is in the blender.  Just like with Schmidt, there is no guarantee an acquired player will thrive & buy in into Greens' system - it seems, Green is more of a political animal than a coach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

How come the boys don't do any team building activities to get the boys to bond together? 

I've never heard Green creating stuff like that for the team. Isn't that what brings a team together, is when they're doing stuff outside of hockey, team building things together, having fun together, so that when they face adversity, they feel like they're in it together and have each other's backs. That doesn't seem to be the case for the team as of today. 

your right no grouse grinds etc..... only bag skates to honestly think about it... maybe covid?  just blame everything on covid.  cant bond if they are 2 feet away... and maybe there is no team in that locker room.  All pointing fingers at Gaudette patient 0 that started the covid fiasco? if they cant protect each other in the locker room from the media.  How can they protect each other on the ice.  Maybe if we hadn't traded away all those glue guys..!!!! Canucks used to be glued together by super-glue.. Now its just rotten Dollar Store Duct Tape!!! somethig has to give... Freaken Benning gave all our players away FREE!!!!!! iam still choked we could of had a 1st or a nice building block for marky. Least Gillis had the balls to trade a goalie for something!  this benning guy has no balls he's as soft as the freaken team.  PUSH OVERS!

• Huggy Bear 1

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What’s sadder is take our shootout and OT wins and turn them into regulation losses and we have the same record as Arizona…

Arizona is trying harder than any team has ever tried to tank. And we went “all in”.

NOO, this is how its suppose to be.  Aquaman says he tried to go all in and build a contender. didn't happen the fans gave up and theres no revenue in canada anymore and its time to move the team to the united states... where they can have an actual chance at winning a stanley cup.  BELIVE THAT! He is shelling out to the cap max and cheaping out on his coaches does not make sense.  I believe its his secret plan to move the team anywhere but here! its why those benning and greens have those long leashes!!!

I've been saying to trade Bo while he was tradable about two years ago on a armchair GM somewhere to fetch a better returns.  I'm not so sure he'll fetch any better return nowadays.  Bo is not a first liner nor the third liner and he can be invisible for long stretch of time and is not a gamebreaker and played too much which worn him down in that he becomes ineffective.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I've been saying to trade Bo while he was tradable about two years ago on a armchair GM somewhere to fetch a better returns.  I'm not so sure he'll fetch any better return nowadays.  Bo is not a first liner nor the third liner and he can be invisible for long stretch of time and is not a gamebreaker and played too much which worn him down in that he becomes ineffective.  

Bo is a playoff performer... any playoff team will love to have him ! 

• Cheers 1

If the rumours are true of players turning on the coach then the first thing to do after firing Green will be remove the guys that didn't want to follow the system because they didn't like it.  

There will be times when the new coach that we hire starts faltering, and I sure as hell don't want a team full of players ready to turn on their coach at the first sign of trouble. 

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If the rumours are true of players turning on the coach then the first thing to do after firing Green will be remove the guys that didn't want to follow the system because they didn't like it.  

There will be times when the new coach that we hire starts faltering, and I sure as hell don't want a team full of players ready to turn on their coach at the first sign of trouble. 

For sure. I remember a few years ago when there were grumblings of players in Winnipeg not wanting to be there that Blake Wheeler stood up in the room and said somewhere along the lines of “If anybody doesn’t want to be hear, than let us know, because we want guys that want to be here.” Now that’s the kind of voice that this team needs especially after a tumultuous couple seasons in a row where we are going to see an organizational overhaul. 

7 minutes ago, Pickly said:

For sure. I remember a few years ago when there were grumblings of players in Winnipeg not wanting to be there that Blake Wheeler stood up in the room and said somewhere along the lines of “If anybody doesn’t want to be hear, than let us know, because we want guys that want to be here.” Now that’s the kind of voice that this team needs especially after a tumultuous couple seasons in a row where we are going to see an organizational overhaul. 

Wheeler clearly should've just stepped into a Slim Jim!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That would be Miller.

Hes not even keeping his dislike in the coaching staff quiet anymore. Calling out coaches in practice now apparently.

I don’t care what he does on the ice that kind of attitude kills a team.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That would be Miller.

Hes not even keeping his dislike in the coaching staff quiet anymore. Calling out coaches in practice now apparently.

Especially if he's dragging others with him.

1 hour ago, aznmonk said:

who cares, doesn't matter who wears the C.... as long as you show hard nose hockey. then its good put the C on green for all i care! like luuuu had the C no one gave a damn... do you see him go chasing down refs and complaining about the refing.....

As much as I see this roster play so very, very very bad.  I can't imagine the room is that bad.  Miller and Horvat are similar players.  Maybe Bo isn't as vocal in the room as Miller, and maybe that's a good thing at times. But I have a hard time believing there's a rift that hard.  Yeah, their play may say otherwise but I don't see these players going to that low level.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That would be Miller.

He did kind of sulk a fair bit last season that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  I just wrote that off to not being used to losing.  Now, I'm not so sure but will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt as he's one of the few that are still playing like they care on the ice so far this season.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Unless you tank in the Wright year (pun intended), a first overall player usually does little to help your fortunes.

The last 5 drafts have produced pretty underwhelming players.

None of Power, Lafreniere, Hughes, Dahlin, or Hischier are players that are going to drastically improve your club like a McDavid, Crosby, Mackinnon, or Kane.

Can we say Wright is any better than any of the last 5 first overalls?

Yes and give dahlin and lafreniere time.  They are potential franchise players.   Power hasnt played in the league yet but hes a definite legit #1 someday. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He did kind of sulk a fair bit last season that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  I just wrote that off to not being used to losing.  Now, I'm not so sure but will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt as he's one of the few that are still playing like they care on the ice so far this season.

I don’t care what he does on the ice if it turns out he’s a cancer in the locker room.

It’s not the players job to decide who coaches the team. It’s their job to show up and work.

If players can’t handle adversity and turn into a big distraction, those aren’t players you can win with. Good players put in the work and grow stronger through failure, not pout and point the finger at other people.

Again, that’s only if the speculation is true. Could be a bunch of BS for all we know.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, aznmonk said:

your right no grouse grinds etc..... only bag skates to honestly think about it... maybe covid?  just blame everything on covid.  cant bond if they are 2 feet away... and maybe there is no team in that locker room.  All pointing fingers at Gaudette patient 0 that started the covid fiasco? if they cant protect each other in the locker room from the media.  How can they protect each other on the ice.  Maybe if we hadn't traded away all those glue guys..!!!! Canucks used to be glued together by super-glue.. Now its just rotten Dollar Store Duct Tape!!! somethig has to give... Freaken Benning gave all our players away FREE!!!!!! iam still choked we could of had a 1st or a nice building block for marky. Least Gillis had the balls to trade a goalie for something!  this benning guy has no balls he's as soft as the freaken team.  PUSH OVERS!

interesting you brought up Gaudette

I had forgot about that.

that was a very swift reaction by player and management

there was also Bo yelling at Virtanen last year in pre-season 

but it goes back farther than that, Kassian, McCann, Sestito

and even Kesler and Torres

It used to be different, like when Burke walked into the disciplinary meetings with Burtuzzi. As much as anything that is why I have always liked Burkie

Is it coincidence that Burke left when Aqualini bought the team and the culture changed

Its like this team is afraid to get its hands dirty

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, LesPaul81 said:

As much as I see this roster play so very, very very bad.  I can't imagine the room is that bad.  Miller and Horvat are similar players.  Maybe Bo isn't as vocal in the room as Miller, and maybe that's a good thing at times. But I have a hard time believing there's a rift that hard.  Yeah, their play may say otherwise but I don't see these players going to that low level.  

At the end of the day. Gotta listen to the brass. Like it or not they are paying the players to show up and put on some work boots and work.  This team is hand fed like little cry babies.. least mcdavid whines and cries but he has the mentality to put in the effort and show the reffs who's boss! Just like Miller kinda shows his frustrations out on the ice.  But u know you gotta give mcdavid some credits where it's due.... unlike our superstars. When the going gets tough they all run away....

7 hours ago, lmm said:

well why talk about Toffoli if you can't be bothered to talk about Montreal

My point was that Montreal, (who you could care less about) and Vancouver have taken the same path

but never mind, i wouldn't want to burden you with talk of Montreal

you like to live in a bubble , fine.

Beagle was past his best before date, the problem is the Canucks did not find a replacement and use Beagle as a tutor.

I thought that was kind of the point of veteran leadership, but alas, no that was not the case

It could be argued that Beagle helped Motte become the player he is, but if each veteran leader produces one player in 3 years, our odds of success are not good

the problem with trading Beagle is that he was replaced with Dickinson, (not really a center), Dowling, (not really an NHLer) and Lammikko, (not really an NHLer)

And that is the same problem with the D, Tanev's presence would be hard to replace, but his skill could be replaced, just not by Myer, Poolman or Hamonic

My point was the amount of folks whom find it easy to pick and choose, when managememt has screwed up, hence I wasn't going into the Montreal debate... honestly I know far too little about them and their problems to have a debate about them. 
The Beagle issue is to the poont and exactly correct. I stated to severely lose faith in Greene this summer, and despite being behind Benning throughout his tenure here, this is his show, and not replacing the the bottom players better is on him. 
I agree with Tanevs skill not being properly replaced, but again his skills were never in doubt. It was his durability and that together with his age suggested that it was only going to get worse, hence folks dod not want him to get a contract similar to the one Flames gave him. 
i didn't want him gone but at least could accept the reason for it. They fact he has turned into an iron man who both fights and scores has been brilliant for Calgary and I'm happy for Tanev. He deserves it. 

• Huggy Bear 1