The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Green to be Fired

Rate this topic

Me_

3 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Would’ve loved Jeff Gorton as our Pres / leader of hockey opps. The guy built a solid NYR team in a short amount of time and then his star player gets beat up by Wilson and he gets canned. 

Does make you wonder if a request for permission to talk to him didn't trigger Montreal's moves over the weekend.

"it's important to have two figures at the top of hockey ops."- Anyone willing to reach out to Francesco Aquillini and letting him know. First of all you 've got to get the organizatiional structure right. I assume the market in Montreal is somewhat comparable to the market in VAN. Therefore I would advocate for having also two figures at the top of hockey ops in VAN.

8 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

"it's important to have two figures at the top of hockey ops."- Anyone willing to reach out to Francesco Aquillini and letting him know. First of all you 've got to get the organizatiional structure right. I assume the market in Montreal is somewhat comparable to the market in VAN. Therefore I would advocate for having also two figures at the top of hockey ops in VAN.

“Will address a (new) identity”

The Canucks have none. I think a new coaching staff would bring a new way of seeing things and move forward.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Would’ve loved Jeff Gorton as our Pres / leader of hockey opps. The guy built a solid NYR team in a short amount of time and then his star player gets beat up by Wilson and he gets canned. 

That wasn't why he got canned, I think, haha. But I totally agree. Missed opportunities with coaches and GMs with better track records. 

21 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Very hard to disagree with you on this. If every successful team has two high execs in their arsenal, the Canucks should be no different. Whatever Vancouver's doing is not working. If Vancouver had in fact succeeded in their approaches, then by all means go with it.

Vancouver doesn't have the successes to justify 'reinventing' the wheel.

Edited by Dazzle

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Very hard to disagree with you on this. If every successful team has two high execs in their arsenal, the Canucks should be no different. Whatever Vancouver's doing is not working. If Vancouver had in fact succeeded in their approaches, then by all means go with it.

Vancouver doesn't have the successes to justify 'reinventing' the wheel.

To be honest I do believe it was how the whole situation was handled that makes me think it was part of the reason he was fired. NYR also under preformed last year but I wonder how much of their loaded division helped with that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, AbbyNux said:

The Aquilinis aren't selling the team. So either we stop buying tickets to mediocrity or we hope one of the family members finally figures it out. 

I reached out to Jim few years ago and let him know my personal opinion on a specific subject matter. Why not reaching out to Francesco Aquillini and telling him that this organizational structure needs to be adjusted? sometimes people need only a litte nudge in order to view things from a different perspective.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Seeing how quickly Montreal moved to sort through their issues just makes the situation Vancouver is in all the more pathetic. What is the braintrust waiting for? It seems as though they want to lose fan support because they can't make up their minds, meanwhile another solid hockey mind is scooped up by a team willing to make the hard decisions. 

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Seeing how quickly Montreal moved to sort through their issues just makes the situation Vancouver is in all the more pathetic. What is the braintrust waiting for? It seems as though they want to lose fan support because they can't make up their minds, meanwhile another solid hockey mind is scooped up by a team willing to make the hard decisions. 

No fan or media is going anywhere.
It’s just going to get louder.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

making the wrong decision because you're rushing it is far worse than doing nothing. 

get it right -- that's what matters. not giving the fans the blood they lust for. 

We needed Jeff Gorton back in 2018, or earlier. He wasn't afraid to call it like it was and then get to work:

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/a-message-from-glen-sather-and-jeff-gorton-about-our-team/c-295742648

A Message from Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton About Our Team

As a member of the Blueshirt Faithful, we consider you a part of the New York Rangers family, and always want to ensure we share important news about the organization directly with you. Today, we want to talk to you about the future.

As you know, since the 2005-06 season, we have been a highly competitive team. We have played 129 playoff games, won the Presidents' Trophy, reached the Conference Finals three times, as well as the Stanley Cup Final. While we're proud of all those accomplishments - we didn't reach our ultimate goal of bringing the Stanley Cup back to New York.

So as we do every season, we have been continuously evaluating our team, looking for areas that can be improved to enhance our chances of winning. We began the process of reshaping our team this past summer, when we traded for assets that we believe will help us in the years to come. As we approach the trade deadline later this month and into the summer, we will be focused on adding young, competitive players that combine speed, skill and character. This may mean we lose some familiar faces, guys we all care about and respect. While this is part of the game, it's never easy. Our promise to you is that our plans will be guided by our singular commitment: ensuring we are building the foundation for our next Stanley Cup contender.

There are no fans like Rangers fans. You are passionate, loyal and true. You fill The Garden every night, and we always know there will be a strong showing from RangersTown in every building across the League. We do not take your support for granted. We appreciate that you have always stood by us, and we ask you to remain by our side as we undertake this exciting new chapter filled with promise and change.

We will keep you informed as this process takes shape. Thank you for the incredible loyalty, pride and respect you show to the New York Rangers, each and every day.

I remember reading that and wondering where's OUR letter?

Edited by kilgore

11 minutes ago, tas said:

making the wrong decision because you're rushing it is far worse than doing nothing. 

get it right -- that's what matters. not giving the fans the blood they lust for. 

I don't think at this point they'd be rushing it. I think Aquilni is a creature of habit and may go the same route he has before and hire a GM and/or coach with little to no NHL experience. Possibly putting both Sedins in as GM, and hiring Trent Cull. 

Do the fans really want blood, or do they maybe, juuuust maybe, not want to watch a middling, perimeter team go through the motions anymore?

• Cheers 1