The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Vancouver Canucks team rosters from 2015-2022 would not win a cup with Crosby as their captain.  Hockey

is a team game. One person doesn't determine how good the team is.

Bo will not get the huge haul you think he will.  He'll be a UFA and will decide where he will sign for next season.

What team is going to give up a huge haul, when he might walk at the end of this season?  It's the same

situation as JT Miller.  There was no huge haul to be had for him either.

I would argue that they would have made the playoffs with Crosby instead of Horvat. Crosby is the hardest worker in the league, and he demands the same from his teammates...as Captain

BH has the potential to yield a huge return...Lebrun wrote that even non-playoff teams will be interested. First swing at signing him. Miller is much slower and more of a long-term risk in my opinion. BH fills a clear role...he just isn't a the Captain of a playoff team type of player. Will fit really nicely on a team with strong leadership already in place

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Damn, try some punctuation.

No playoffs in how many years as Captain? Yaaaaa...

I don't think there are any fans that dislike Bo, the problem is he can't get this team over the hump, and wants $7.75M per...why would should the team compound last seasons mistake and not trade him for a huge haul? Talk about clueless.

Last time I checked the captain doesn’t assemble the team! 
a dim witted idiot did! The captain did once whine about his trash line mates. 
the mistake  was resigning miller trading for OEL signing myers and trading 7 years worth of depth draft picks for essentially nothing. 
the “haul” you speak of will consist of draft picks and prospects no win now team is giving up a young top 2 rhd D niether will  teams are building. Look at what the rumours from Detroit. None help us in the next 2 or 3 years. 

Who was the captain when the team went on the bubble run… 

yup clueless!!!!! 
i used extra punctuation so the inner grammar cop could take the night off.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Bo isn’t worth a huge haul as a coming UFA rental then why the heck should we pay huge cap dollars to keep him?

The Canucks don't have to give up players to re-sign him. 

Like the recent proposal for Detroit.  Would they give up Edvinsson + Rasmussen knowing that Bo

could walk away at the end of this season?  Not likely.

1 minute ago, combover said:

the mistake  was resigning miller trading for OEL signing myers and trading 7 years worth of depth draft picks for essentially nothing. 
the “haul” you speak of will consist of draft picks and prospects no win now team is giving up a young top 2 rhd D niether will  teams are building. Look at what the rumours from Detroit. None help us in the next 2 or 3 years. 

yup clueless!!!!! 

Hurts my eyes reading that but I did pick out that we are counting the bubble as a legit playoffs? Hilarious...you appear to accept mediocrity like BH does. He should have put his foot down and demanded better line mates, he should have pushed the team harder to improve their individual skills, he should be better 5v5 and on the PK to lead this team forward but it isn't in him. 

Again,, Bo is a good Canuck but this team isn't going anywhere with him and are better off selling high (before he regresses in a non contract year). Teams like Detroit have solid pieces that would impact the club in the next couple years as well as add to the number of picks in the cupboard (which can be flipped for NHL level upgrades if needed)

• There it is 1

11 minutes ago, combover said:

yup clueless!!!!! 

BTW mgmt should do everything they can to trade Myers and Miller at the deadline as well (along with a bunch of other +25 year olds). Some desperate GM will bite with some salary retained on Myers. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Hurts my eyes reading that but I did pick out that we are counting the bubble as a legit playoffs? Hilarious...you appear to accept mediocrity like BH does. He should have put his foot down and demanded better line mates, he should have pushed the team harder to improve their individual skills, he should be better 5v5 and on the PK to lead this team forward but it isn't in him. 

Again,, Bo is a good Canuck but this team isn't going anywhere with him and are better off selling high (before he regresses in a non contract year). Teams like Detroit have solid pieces that would impact the club in the next couple years as well as add to the number of picks in the cupboard (which can be flipped for NHL level upgrades if needed)

If we trading Bo we might as well rebuild and trade others as well. Like Miller, Kuz, Garland, etc.

Boeser i'd probably wait for now cause his value is low and with those guys out he'll play top line minutes which means more opportunity for production. Could do this with Garland as well.

If you can find a trade for OEL move him but I wouldn't use any picks to move OEL. 4 years after this one anyone we draft in 2023-2025 will expire close to or at the same time as him(Probably most in 2023 since I don't see anyone besides a top 5 pick stepping in right away). I guess he can be a veteran for a young D to play with.

Myers you probably right retention then someone might take him. If not higher chance someone takes him next year with 1 year left and retention. Same goes for Pearson.

Try to do what Ducks did and sign someone like Klingberg(above average player who can't get contract) for a year that you can flip. Or take cap dumps for picks/prospects from cap strapped teams. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Clearly your new here. 

“he should have demanded better line mates” lol that statement  alone tells me  how little  you know about the kind of player and professional Horvat is. 

We should blow this mess up but no more  half steps all or nothing rebuild. Sick of two steps forward ten steps back AKA the JB no plan plan. 

Edited by combover

The one constant with the Canucks in these last 7 years of mediocrity and disappointment is Bo Horvat. I’m not saying he’s not a good player but the entire roster has been revamped, they’ve had 3 coaches, and now an entirely new management team. Everything has changed except for Bo. Maybe it’s just not going to work out here, and trading him for some very good assets might be just the change this team needs. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

The one constant with the Canucks in these last 7 years of mediocrity and disappointment is Bo Horvat. I’m not saying he’s not a good player but the entire roster has been revamped, they’ve had 3 coaches, and now an entirely new management team. Everything has changed except for Bo. Maybe it’s just not going to work out here, and trading him for some very good assets might be just the change this team needs. 

That seems like a bit of a correlation/causation miscue.

That said, we may not have a choice at this point.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we trading Bo we might as well rebuild and trade others as well. Like Miller, Kuz, Garland, etc.

Boeser i'd probably wait for now cause his value is low and with those guys out he'll play top line minutes which means more opportunity for production. Could do this with Garland as well.

If you can find a trade for OEL move him but I wouldn't use any picks to move OEL. 4 years after this one anyone we draft in 2023-2025 will expire close to or at the same time as him(Probably most in 2023 since I don't see anyone besides a top 5 pick stepping in right away). I guess he can be a veteran for a young D to play with.

Myers you probably right retention then someone might take him. If not higher chance someone takes him next year with 1 year left and retention. Same goes for Pearson.

Try to do what Ducks did and sign someone like Klingberg(above average player who can't get contract) for a year that you can flip. Or take cap dumps for picks/prospects from cap strapped teams. 

If it was me, which means nothing, I would be shooting for a team that looks a little like this next year:

Kuz EP Mik

Garland xxx Podz

Hogs xxx xxx

DJ Aman Lazar (or any other combo of fourth liners)

QH xxx

Xxx xxx

OEL Schenn

Demko/Martin

I would try and trade everyone else at the deadline/offseason for solid returns (relative to the player and their contract).

Some big holes to fill but any TDL trade, 2023 draft pick, and/or UFA singing should be focused on center and defense prospects and young up and coming roster players.

Hopefully mgmt can find players to fill two or three of those spots next year. In the meantime, someone like Boeser might have to stay on until prospects move up, etc.

Next year should be about playing the young players, clearing some cap, being competitive, and seeing if EP can lead. The following two years should be about establishing a solid team and hopefully some playoff success.

10 minutes ago, combover said:

Clearly your new here. 

“he should have demanded better line mates” lol that statement  alone tells me  how little  you know about the kind of player and professional Horvat is. 

We should blow this mess up but no more  half steps all or nothing rebuild. Sick of two steps forward ten steps back AKA the JB no plan plan. 

?????

12 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

You're giving Bo too much merit with what's been going.

He has not exactly been running this team. 

The one constant you can say in the last 7 years is that retooling really hasn't worked for us. Last management tried it and this one is maintaining that constant. 

If we trade Horvat we might as well rebuild. In order to compete this team requires a lot to be done with not a lot to work with and not a lot of time to get it done. We can't afford setbacks and losing Horvat would be a major one if the goal is to compete.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You're giving Bo too much merit with what's been going.

He has not exactly been running this team. 

The one constant you can say in the last 7 years is that retooling really hasn't worked for us. Last management tried it and this one is maintaining that constant. 

If we trade Horvat we might as well rebuild. In order to compete this team requires a lot to be done with not a lot to work with and not a lot of time to get it done. We can't afford setbacks and losing Horvat would be a major one if the goal is to compete.

I think we could get a very good 3C and a very good RHD for Bo, especially if he keeps playing like this. The 3C handles key faceoffs and hard defensive matchups, making up for Bo’s loss in those areas. I’m not worried about fully replacing Bo’s offense, I think we have enough firepower if we can improve our D, which that trade would do. 

Most importantly, it would signal a change of leadership and a new dressing room culture. As much as I like Bo as a player I’m not convinced he should be a captain. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I think we could get a very good 3C and a very good RHD for Bo, especially if he keeps playing like this. The 3C handles key faceoffs and hard defensive matchups, making up for Bo’s loss in those areas. I’m not worried about fully replacing Bo’s offense, I think we have enough firepower if we can improve our D, which that trade would do. 

Most importantly, it would signal a change of leadership and a new dressing room culture. As much as I like Bo as a player I’m not convinced he should be a captain. 

We're not getting that.

No playoff team will give up those assets and no team aspiring to get into the playoffs will give that up as well. They want to add on their team without giving anything of significance on their roster away. 

What they will mainly give up are picks and prospects. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 4

53 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't know, Miller's lengthy contract doesn't seem to line up with that. Miller will be 30 when next season rolls around, forwards tend to drop off sooner than D or #1 goaltenders. I reckon he's got 3 more seasons of top production in him, but he's signed for another 7 years. 

The years he's probably in decline line up with when Pettersson is likely peaking, and I always questioned the wisdom of that. Thing is, unlike Bo, if Miller ain't producing he's not quite as valuable. If folks think he's questionable defensively now that's likely not going to improve with age. 

Bo being just a little bit younger could make quite a difference when it comes to a return on investment on say.. a 7 year deal. 

But I think there's a good chance Bo goes, and if he does I firmly believe Miller should too. But then again, Bo or no Bo I'm on board with stripping this roster down. This team ain't good enough. 

Ya agree it is scary to think is in 2-4 years when his production starts to drop, he will probably get more frustrated, make worse mistakes and create more turnovers. Be slower physically and be caught out of position even more. 

Miller needs to go in my mind. And I think he could really be successful insulated in a strong system on a strong team and a PP1 weapon. So I could see how teams see his value. And I think he is moveable. But the ego / to the decision making of signing him as our guy then in a matter of months reevaluating like OOPS is bad team optics and they may refuse.

Problem with BO is he could really want out. He may not want to spend another 2-4 years to hopefully turn it around. I think he wants to stay in a perfect world, if we were winning or he could visualize a path to winning I could see him signing. But the problem is how does he sign for less than Miller at this point? If I was him I wouldn't. Why should he get offered less than Boeser makes? It's rather insulting. He wont be easy to replace but if we can get a quality haul from him, something for Miller and a top draft pick this season it could be whaat we need.

Then we can trim the fat from the Vets that need to go: Myers and Pearson 

I am sure they will look at moving OEL by any means necessary with minimal retention if any, unless his drop off is truly because of his foot right now. OR might even just in general.

Hard to be an optimistic fan right now it really is.

Im not even sold on JR as a team builder either. 

Canucks need to learn when to cash in and stop buying in on 30 years olds during the off-season. Too many contracts are constantly just" riding them out" 

Loved Miller last year but he would have gotten more than Kesler did. Signed Beagle, Rooster, Ferland, Myers etc when we needed to surround the you kids with a good D core. Could have kept Tanev... So many mistakes. 

We have the young players and Bo should be the captain, but we blew out budget for 10 years... Now we'll ride out Miller and OEL, Boeser. 

Bah I'm gonna be pissed if we trade Bo and keep Miller. His attitude stinks. I watched him Live the other night he lags off the ice slower than Jake did, on the regular. Never hustles stays out too long. Not happy about it all 

• Cheers 2