The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think they can be a playoff team, but likely not a Cup contender.   As much as I like our core, we still need another piece of similar skill level to Petey and Hughes to be a real threat. 

Of course, they need several pieces.......

I think they could be a regular playoff team in a couple years, but that doesn't mean they stop building a contender

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Our owner will not allow a deep diving rebuild.  Sad though, because this draft has great players at the top.  And Bedard is from here!  We should be trying our hardest to get to draft him.  Stupid owner. 

You keep bringing up the owner but it's just an imaginary story you're making up in your head.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's longer than 6 months now FYI. I'd also wager ROR had better linemates than Horvat when Bo was putting up his 50-60 point seasons. But I don't really care enough to check :lol: Regardless, Bo is a better offensive player NOW (which is when we're potentially trading him), than ROR was at the time he was traded.

Better offensively, worse defensively...roughly comparable value. 

So you are saying we are trading BO for Tage Thompson and a 2023 1st and 2nd round pick?  I'll note this for confirmation when that trade happens...   :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think they can be a playoff team, but likely not a Cup contender.   As much as I like our core, we still need another piece of similar skill level to Petey and Hughes to be a real threat. 

I agree.  We need a Bedard or Fantilli to push us over the top.  This is the year to tank in my opinion.  Could change this franchise for the next 10 years with this one draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So you are saying we are trading BO for Tage Thompson and a 2023 1st and 2nd round pick?  I'll note this for confirmation when that trade happens...   :)

Pretty sure Buffalo isn't trading Thompson ;)

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  We need a Bedard or Fantilli to push us over the top.  This is the year to tank in my opinion.  Could change this franchise for the next 10 years with this one draft.

Does JR and Bettman have a good relationship. Maybe he can rig this one in our favour. Would hate to see Bedard go to the Ducks, would be a super team out there.

• Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course, they need several pieces.......

I think they could be a regular playoff team in a couple years, but that doesn't mean they stop building a contender

Top players are getting paid like we already are a regular playoff team and contending for a cup.  There's no room for movement with the salary cap.  Teams aren't giving away ELC top tier Dmen.  How do you go from here to a contender within Bo's next salary which we can't afford?  It's pretty clear that a tear-down with a proper construct is necessary.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

To what end?  What's the recovery timeline on that do you figure?

5-7 years easy

On Fire GIF

Even if it's 10 years at least there will be some hope after my ten years, because the last 10 years has left us right back at square one. Actually in a worse position than 2013. 

Brutal eh.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 2

15 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Incoming 7.5m x 8.  Miller traded to NJ.

I could get on board with this trade. Miller frees up $8 next season, Bo gets paid and gets to see this thing through. 

NJ eh?

(C/W) J.T. Miller  $5,250,000 (UFA after season)

(RD) Damon Severson  $4,166,666 (UFA after season)

(C/W) Yegor Sharangovich  $2,000,000 (RFA after season)

2nd (2022)

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

the problem is the team needs a shake up for sure.. but bo is not the guy u want to trade for this shake up.. he's too valuable to the team and too hard to replace. .trading bo and getting a new captain won't turn this team into a contender... i've said it all summer trading miller allows us to retool.. trading bo will force us to rebuild i still stand by that.. as it's far easier to replace 99 points than it is to replace one of the top faceoff centerman in the league.. heck kuz is pretty much already replacing miller's production from last season.

Lots of guys know how to take faceoffs.  BO isn't the inventor of them.  You are putting too much emphasis on one part of the game that 90% of the time doesn't even make a difference in the score.  Yeah sure, you can just trade bottom level guys for 99 point guys, it's so easy, lol!!  You do know that only like 8 guys in the NHL got more than 99 points last year right?  I'll take a 99 point player over a top faceoff guy anytime.  We can find a Manny Malhotra to replace BO...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

Top players are getting paid like we already are a regular playoff team and contending for a cup.  There's no room for movement with the salary cap.  Teams aren't giving away ELC top tier Dmen.  How do you go from here to a contender within Bo's next salary which we can't afford?  It's pretty clear that a tear-down with a proper construct is necessary.

And what's your timeline on that  recovery?  8-10 years?  No thanks, they still have time to right this ship and move forward, but that doesn't involve moving Horvat.

• Upvote 1

Just now, J-23 said:

Does JR and Bettman have a good relationship. Maybe he can rig this one in our favour. Would hate to see Bedard go to the Ducks, would be a super team out there.

Can you imagine?!!!  "Hey Bettman, Would you mind ensuring one of the biggest US market teams doesn't get Bedard in the draft?  The Canucks have never had a #1 pick before and I thought this may be nice for a good BC kid". 

Bettman: "Sure but we are assessing Vancouver with an interference infraction which will cost you the first round pick in this year's draft.  We're giving it to Chicago or Anaheim instead.....not sure who yet but probably the Eastern team."

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

5-7 years easy

On Fire GIF

Even if it's 10 years at least there will be some hope after my ten years, because the last 10 years has left us right back at square one. Actually in a worse position than 2013. 

Brutal eh.

Well, it's been almost 8 years for Edmonton, with McDavid and Draisaitl, so..........

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1