The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

thinking about which teams would, realistically, be a potential trading partner for Horvat.

Assuming teams will only get Horvat as a rental the profile I am looking for are team that:

• need more Center depth
  • are either in a playoff spot or fighting for one

Team I can think of are Minnesota, Nashville, Seattle, Carolina, Colorado and maybe St. Louis

This doesn't take into account what their prospect pool or assets is like because these teams are unlikely going to part with a NHL player right now. 

Between those teams which would make the ideal trading partner?

Washington as well.

LA as well, a center group of Kopitar/Horvat/Daneault is a luxury that most teams would cut a limb off for. Daneult is a very good player and as a 3c shut down player that middle dominates every team in the league.

LA is aging and wants another run, Kopitar only has a few years left. Bo is a perfect transition for them. I am not sure who I'd want from LA. They have some intriguing prospects for sure, Brandt Clarke, Helge Grans, Byfield, etc...maybe pry Vilardi (But I doubt that)...

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

What are you talking about? Good players get traded. It isn't disrespectful to move a player at the tail end of his contract in order to improve the team long term. 

Its not like Bo doesn't know its coming. He is part of the contract negotiations too. Its not like Horvat hasnt been paid since he got here, he wasn't "donating his time to the team".

Fans want to see wins, playoffs and a cup. Thats what the GM should be trying to build here, not worrying about signing someone to an 8 year contract simply because he's been here a long time. 

What would be more disrespectful is to trade Miller before his NMC kicks in right after signing him for 7 years. Even though I would love it and have no issue if they moved him also.

Its just this sad trend we have been following for years. The fans think we "Owe" these guys something when they are literally paid MILLIONS to play a sport. 

We did the same with the Sedins and what did we get for being nice to these guys? A big hole in getting any kind of replacement for them. All they had to do was the exact same thing, spend a few months on another team playing a SPORT they love. 

Some people just feel so entitled its sickening.

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is the only play I see Bo making if he is sincere in what he says. If he veers from this, then he is exactly what I assume he is and thats a "MONEY FIRST" kind of player and winning a Championship is a "NICE TO HAVE". Its either in his DNA or its not, pretty simple.

It's easy to say money first, but why should anyone take less than what they market would offer them if its material?

If the Canucks are offering 50 mil total and some team offers 7x9 = 63 mil would you say no?

If you are making 100k a year and love where you work, but some company offers you 160k and is just as good and can help you achieve other goals (aka win a cup in Bo's view) would you say no?

I don't criticize anyone looking to get the most pay for their services. 

For those wanting to keep Bo, let me ask this.

How many of you are watching the world juniors?

Have you seen Connor Bedard play?

Are you aware he's from North Vancouver and wants to play here?

Trading Bo quickly takes out alot of goal scoring, Trading Miller does the same

Would you not be ecstatic to see Connor Bedard in a Canucks uniform for the next 15 years?

The leafs tanked for Matthews, the Canucks NEED to do it.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Tanti9 said:

Would you not be ecstatic to see Connor Bedard in a Canucks uniform for the next 15 years?

And for those of you who are in touch with reality, getting Bedard involves luck with the draft lottery which we do not have, and you do not tank for something that likely won't happen!!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

It's easy to say money first, but why should anyone take less than what they market would offer them if its material?

If the Canucks are offering 50 mil total and some team offers 7x9 = 63 mil would you say no?

If you are making 100k a year and love where you work, but some company offers you 160k and is just as good and can help you achieve other goals (aka win a cup in Bo's view) would you say no?

I think Miller did that very thing. Left money on the table. I think when you talk about making our kind of money, thats different. When you are being paid MILLIONS to play a sport, can you really say there is a complaint between 60 or 63 million? 

I used to rember when young Canadians playing hockey dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup and that is what drove them into their proffessional career. I think some privileged kids now a days see the dollar signs and don't really care about playing in the playoffs let alone winning a cup.

Some players play the same no matter if they are playing in a pre-season game, a regular season game or a game 7 of a Stanley Cup final. Some excel in the playoffs. 

We haven't had players that "EXCEL" in the playoffs for a very long time. 

2 minutes ago, aliboy said:

And for those of you who are in touch with reality, getting Bedard involves luck with the draft lottery which we do not have, and you do not tank for something that likely won't happen!!

your insult response is noted

try debating in the future 

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think Miller did that very thing. Left money on the table. I think when you talk about making our kind of money, thats different. When you are being paid MILLIONS to play a sport, can you really say there is a complaint between 60 or 63 million? 

I used to rember when young Canadians playing hockey dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup and that is what drove them into their proffessional career. I think some privileged kids now a days see the dollar signs and don't really care about playing in the playoffs let alone winning a cup.

Some players play the same no matter if they are playing in a pre-season game, a regular season game or a game 7 of a Stanley Cup final. Some excel in the playoffs. 

We haven't had players that "EXCEL" in the playoffs for a very long time. 

Sure but Miller didn’t take a Sedin discount, he really didn’t take much less. And I don’t fault players these days for trying to max what the make. It’s their right to do so. 

Edited by Tanti9

5 minutes ago, aliboy said:

And you may want to learn about the new draft rules coming this year for the bottom 2 teams 

I’d be more than happy with Michkov, Carlsson, or Fantilli as a consolation prize along with the haul for Bo

All of that better positions this team for a cup, along with the cap flexibility we get to improve 

But I do use my brain to consider what happens from paying Bo 9 mil 

11 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

Only works if he pulls a lindros and doesn't go to the American team that's gonna get the 1st pick

12 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

We're above .500...

In order to tank for Bedard we'll need to lose like 80% of the rest of our games.

I sure as hell don't want Petey, Kuz, Hughes etc. Going through that.

This team is too good to tank. Sorry but it's not happening and Bedard won't wear a Canucks uniform until 2029-30.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Maginator said:

We're above .500...

In order to tank for Bedard we'll need to lose like 80% of the rest of our games.

I sure as hell don't want Petey, Kuz, Hughes etc. Going through that.

This team is too good to tank. Sorry but it's not happening and Bedard won't wear a Canucks uniform until 2029-30.

One game over .500

Take out Bo and Miller and we’re not imho 

Edited by Tanti9
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Maginator said:

Yep,

They include #53 and #9

Funny thing about opinons 

We’re all entitled to them 

No one is more right than another particularly when predicting the future 

And as importantly, my or your opinion of a future event isn’t a fact, some need to accept that

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Tanti9 said:

1 hour ago, Tanti9 said:

Sure but Miller didn’t take a Sedin discount, he really didn’t take much less. And I don’t fault players these days for trying to max what the make. It’s their right to do so. 

Regardless of how much he did take a discount and left money on the table. Maybe he cares about winning a championship and left money for the team to build around him? 

Bo was offered a fair contract and refused. He also doesn't want to be a distraction to his team, yet he won't discuss his contract until the season ends?  

Seems a bit fishy to me on his intensions.

14 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Regardless of how much he did take a discount and left money on the table. Maybe he cares about winning a championship and left money for the team to build around him? 

Bo was offered a fair contract and refused. He also doesn't want to be a distraction to his team, yet he won't discuss his contract until the season ends?  

Seems a bit fishy to me on his intensions.

My point is no player has to take a discount. Its up to them. Bo saying no contract talks till after the season is a clear message they will test UFA, its not fishy about his intentions, they are clear. He's going to go where he chooses based on whatever criteria matters to him, money, cup, combination, city etc.

Players only get to UFA and a chance for such a huge payout once in their lives, its not personal against the canucks or the fans or city...its just business.

Bo or any player doesn't owe your or me or the Canucks anything. He's played up to his responsibilities and contract and has been a very good leader for the Canucks.

Edited by Tanti9

1 hour ago, Tanti9 said:

For those wanting Conor bedard let me ask how many first  overall selections has this franchise had in its history. 

let me also ask how has this franchise faired in the(rigged)  “draft lottery” 

we could finish dead last with zero points and we wouldn’t win the bettman lottery. 

But I’m still good with trading miller boeser  garland pearson Myers OEL poolman 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

For those wanting Conor bedard let me ask how many first  overall selections has this franchise had in its history. 

let me also ask how has this franchise faired in the(rigged)  “draft lottery” 

we could finish dead last with zero points and we wouldn’t win the bettman lottery. 

But I’m still good with trading miller boeser  garland pearson Myers OEL poolman 

Its not rigged dude

• Haha 1