The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Zero.  1 for 1.  Both teams get a player that fits their timeline and cap situation better with a similar skillset.  Guys with Wright's draft pedigree aren't usually available at all in their D+1.

You do know there are other customers interested in goods?

• Cheers 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:07 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Sign Ryan Graves and Jake Livingstone in the summer as free agents.  Trade for Callan Foote and let him play with his father.  Keep Hughes, Schenn and Bear.  There are your 6 guys.  Plus OEL is still around.  Maybe Adam Foote can help turn his game around...

You write this as if it will be easy to sign free agents this summer!  When you're not winning, the coach is less likeable and there's not much cap space, it's not really that desirable of a place to come to!  Even if we freed up cap space by ditching 2-3 big contracts miraculously, I would think we're at least a year away from having people wanting to sign here (i.e. if they see something to get excited about).

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

in terms of which team has C and RD depth to spare at the level we want - that is LA > DAL>DET

LA 

Cs- Byfield (likely untouchable), Turcotte, Kupari

RD - Durzi, Grans, 

3rd piece - Fagemo 

To VAN

Turcotte

Durzi

Fagemo

To LA

Horvat

Schenn

Rathbone

McDonaugh

Doesn't make much sense for LA.  They already have Kopitar and Danault anchored at C1/C2.  Horvat would be C3 and hard to see him be a fit with Fiala.  

It's also a waste of assets when they need to fix their goaltending and the mix of their D-corps.  

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Horvat to DET for Rasmussen + Zadina + unprotected 1st 2023.

Friedman as well as Dhaliwal say Vancouver is not going to allow teams to talk to Horvat about an extension.  Friedman explains that they feel they'll lose trade leverage if the agent gets involved.   

It's also the Bedard draft - can't see any team giving up a chance at getting him for Horvat. 

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman as well as Dhaliwal say Vancouver is not going to allow teams to talk to Horvat about an extension.  Friedman explains that they feel they'll lose trade leverage if the agent gets involved.   

It's also the Bedard draft - can't see any team giving up a chance at getting him for Horvat. 

Well, Rutherford apparently doesn't want draft picks coming back anyways...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Bo, if he is traded (which I doubt) will be going to the Canes for JK + 

Now that Patches is on LTIR for the season, Canes don't need to send cap back in order to trade for Horvat...

Plus they have enough cap space next season to resign him, resign Staal and all without moving JK.

I'd be happy with Morrow + 2023 1st for Horvat (plus maybe a later round pick if we retain salary this year)

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The other issue is that Morrow is American and hasn’t signed a contract yet. So would he sign to play in Vancouver or just ride it out 2 more years and go play wherever he wants? 

I mean, if the team traded for Morrow, and then he waits it out another 2 years, and signs wherever he wants, then that'd be a massive blow and loss. 

There has to be some guarantee that he would sign here, or that's not a piece I'd want in return for a Bo trade. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If they’re not letting teams talk extension they need to get a conditional 1st based on if he re-signs.

You can’t get the same value for him as a rental as him on a 7 year deal.

Conditional picks upon re-signing are no longer permitted - was part of the CBA MOU of 2020.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, if the team traded for Morrow, and then he waits it out another 2 years, and signs wherever he wants, then that'd be a massive blow and loss. 

There has to be some guarantee that he would sign here, or that's not a piece I'd want in return for a Bo trade. 

We could just Adam Fox the guy. He got flipped a few times prior to landing in New York. Trade for Morrow, he says he ain't interested, throw the grenade in some one else's lap. I think there's too much potential to just throw away the idea. Especially considering how desperate we are for RD with size. There aren't that many floating around.

And I truly think the prospect of playing with Hughes is massive. Hughes is a walking free payday for anyone that can connect with him. Hell, Schenn has more points in his 2 seasons, technically 1 and a half seasons since we are only half way through this season, with Hughes than he does in the 5 seasons prior combined. Lol. Adding Foote and Gonchar has also given us some coaching pedigree. Assuming Morrow at least respects one of them. I dunno. I don't think our team is a lost cause in regards to drawing in college kids. I know we are in panic mode cause of Rathbone, but he kinda blows.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Conditional picks upon re-signing are no longer permitted - was part of the CBA MOU of 2020.

okay, so we're getting an underwhelming package coming back for Bo. 

i hope Tocchet and Bo get along, maybe that'll change his mind and he'll want to re-up here. 

I think a big reason management won't let him talk contract terms with other teams is that a lot of the potential teams have loads of cap coming off the books next year and could offer him stupid money. I wonder if any team would even say 9M, then there's no way he re-signs here. I think probably in 2-4 weeks prior to the deadline once we've 100% ruled out a re-sign, Allvin will let other teams talk contract terms and things will speed up, but they must still be trying to re-sign him and somehow Kuzmenko for 6M too. Bo at 8.25M would be alright consider Petey is going to hit 9-10M+. 

Having Petey at 10M, Bo at 8.5M and Miller at 8M is nice, but then we can't have 4 wingers at 5-7M, along with 3 expensive defencemen. Something's got to give.

For me, get rid of the wingers, build around you centermen. Give Bo 8.5M if he wants. Give Petey 10-11M (he'll be a monster in his contract year, just watch). I'm not saying go as top-heavy as Toronto, but build around centers, not expensive wingers. 

Brock at 6.6M, Garland at 5M, Mikheyev at 5M and now Kuzmenko at 6M is all too rich for my blood. We can't have it all. Get rid of two of those guys and just rotate cheap guys and ELCs in on wing around Bo, Miller and Petey and they'll succeed. For me, Brock and Garland can go for picks and we use the money to keep Bo and Kuz but we simply can't and shouldn't have it all.

I'd ignore the D for now - we should be spending around 7M on a top defenceman (Hughes), then 6-7M on a couple of top-4 guys. The problem is that they're just not playing like top-4 guys but the spending % of the cap is pretty bang on unless you're lucky like Carolina and just have D-men playing out of their socks.

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Now that Patches is on LTIR for the season, Canes don't need to send cap back in order to trade for Horvat...

Plus they have enough cap space next season to resign him, resign Staal and all without moving JK.

I'd be happy with Morrow + 2023 1st for Horvat (plus maybe a later round pick if we retain salary this year)

They might offer us extra to take JK back.