The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

All I know is, when an important game is up, Bo usually shows up.  Both playoff seasons that BO was in, he was pretty consistent.  He was the best player in the Flames series, and during the bubble playoffs, he was the leading goal scorer until the Canucks were eliminated.  And his lead wasn't surpassed till the finals if I remember correctly.

I worry that when JT lets his emotions out too much,  he's going to get extra penalties called on him for unsportsmanlike conduct.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

we are talking about year UFA.. there's plenty of time between now and then especially at the draft for teams to make room. 

carolina will need a staal replacement. boston will need a bergeron replacement. you don't think example these 2 teams would be very interested if horvat makes it to ufa? washington possibly will need a replacement if backstrom is done. there's quite a few teams can make it work with horvat depending on what their plan is either declare their rebuild is over or want 1 last kick at the can with their group.. 

sure he hasn't earned much more than 6 so far.. but that's not how ufa works now is it?? what have Mikheyev done to earn 4.75? literally nothing 1 good season of 20+ goal and 30+ points. if a 3rd line 20+ goals 30+ points going to get u almost 5mil.. then Horvat's camp is easily going to be looking at 7 for a 2nd line tough min munching faceoff machine that can put up 30+ goals and 50-60 points. that's just the reality.. if the offers are in the 5s and low 6s.. there's really no reason for him to take it as he can easily get more in the UFA market.. you can spin it however way u want no team have cap blah blah blah.. every year we say teams don't have cap and yet the big ufa players get signed to the big contract.. every year there's a team or 2 that suprises and come out of their rebuild earlier than expected.

good luck trading horvat for a pick and a prospect at the deadline and think this team can just casually replace him in the next 3-4 season while we still have a prime miller.. and find a capable 2c/3c that's able to take all the tough matchup and the 1600+ faceoffs.. coz u ain't putting a miller or EP in that role to hamper their offense.. and at the same time the 3c u replace him with better be capable of some offense.. otherwise whats the point of all these offensive players in your top 9 if your center don't have any offense in them.

He’ll be signed for under 7m per or traded before Christmas.

He is replaceable.

Islanders/ Lamorella     .. Pageau  / similar F/O percentage.

we add ..  they add..    = good hockey trade.

5 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

All I know is, when an important game is up, Bo usually shows up.  Both playoff seasons that BO was in, he was pretty consistent.  He was the best player in the Flames series, and during the bubble playoffs, he was the leading goal scorer until the Canucks were eliminated.  And his lead wasn't surpassed till the finals if I remember correctly.

I worry that when JT lets his emotions out too much,  he's going to get extra penalties called on him for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Bingo.

How soon people forget that Bo is a big game player. You don’t trade those guys if the goal is to be a contender.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

He’ll be signed for under 7m per or traded before Christmas.

He is replaceable.

Islanders/ Lamorella     .. Pageau  / similar F/O percentage.

we add ..  they add..    = good hockey trade.

so you are trading horvat for pageau + picks? there's literally not much on the islanders that's even enticing that'll make this team better.. trading horvat who's younger for a guy that's going to be 30 1 month into the season that's worse just to save 2mil in cap space sure makes a lot of sense and is a good hockey trade.. so who's gonna take up the extra 500-600 faceoff?  

26 minutes ago, ice8eight said:

I just dont see how and why we should be paying our 3C 7m per. As much as I want Bo to stay, the money is better spent for a legit top pairing rhd. 

A 30 goal scorer is not a third line center.

It’s called having a 1A, 1B, and 1C top 9. Any one of them could play top minutes on any given night.

I guess it’s been awhile since this team had depth. People don’t know what to make of it. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ice8eight said:

I just dont see how and why we should be paying our 3C 7m per. As much as I want Bo to stay, the money is better spent for a legit top pairing rhd. 

Technically he's not a 3C.  And 30+ goal scoring centreman get paid.  If not the Canucks, somebody else will.  Hopefully he will give the team a discount and it will be lower than 7. 

And what top pairing RHD are you going to get for 7M who will not be playing on PP1?  First, they have to want to come here.  Second, they actually have to be available.  Also, most likely with QH here, they're not going to get top PP minutes so they won't be paid as much on their next contract, since you need offensive numbers to be paid the big contract.  So again, who are you getting?  We don't need a Klingberg type.  We need a Toews type.  But again, pretty much every team wants/needs a Toews type.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

So soft :rolleyes:

Baby shit. If our captain isn’t getting ejected every game he’s a wallflower and should be cut. Maybe wearing the skate again full-time would fix this because of how mean and scary they’d look. While we’re at it, “Canucks” isn’t intimidating enough. Change the name to the Super Mega Evil Death Killers.

Edited by McBackup
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so you are trading horvat for pageau + picks? there's literally not much on the islanders that's even enticing that'll make this team better.. trading horvat who's younger for a guy that's going to be 30 1 month into the season that's worse just to save 2mil in cap space sure makes a lot of sense and is a good hockey trade.. so who's gonna take up the extra 500-600 faceoff?  

Pageau took 1350 faceoffs last year, BO took 1475, so your math is off by quite a bit.  Obviously if BO is traded then Petey is playing full time centre and will take the extra 125 draws.  Pageau is a better 3C than BO as BO is really a 2C, so if the Islanders can give us Ryan Pulock in the deal and we send them over Tyler Myers I would be all over that deal.  Maybe we can get a 2nd rounder thrown in as well...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Technically he's not a 3C.  And 30+ goal scoring centreman get paid.  If not the Canucks, somebody else will.  Hopefully he will give the team a discount and it will be lower than 7. 

And what top pairing RHD are you going to get for 7M who will not be playing on PP1?  First, they have to want to come here.  Second, they actually have to be available.  Also, most likely with QH here, they're not going to get top PP minutes so they won't be paid as much on their next contract, since you need offensive numbers to be paid the big contract.  So again, who are you getting?  We don't need a Klingberg type.  We need a Toews type.  But again, pretty much every team wants/needs a Toews type.

Colton Parayko, Damon Severson, Ryan Pulock, Rasmus Ristolainen, Brandon Carlo, Brett Pesce, Adam Larsson would be my top 7 guys to go after.  Not sure if all of them would be available but those are the guys I would chase down.  

Ryan O'Reilly is a UFA next summer so St. Louis may be interested in BO as a replacement.  Parayko would be the perfect partner for Hughes and he's locked in at $6.5 million per year until he retires...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

16 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

These are the same ppl that pigeon holed him as a 3c.   Horvat is a legit top 2 centre and a 1c on a lot of teams.  If he wasnt so heavily relied on defensively, he would be around ppg player.  The team goes nowhere without him.  

Where have they actually gone WITH him?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 2

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You don’t start negotiations with your final offer.

I’m sure they’re just being patient and letting the other side feel some pressure. 

One phone call could change everything just like with Miller and how they weren’t close like a week before.

Miller was the one who pushed forward the negotiations by taking a team friendly deal, not the other way around.  Miller even admitted to this.  If the one phone call is what is takes then it's BO's agent saying he will take less than $7 million.  If that doesn't happen then we are looking at trade options...

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to Elliotte Friedman the Canucks have offered under $6 million.  So I highly doubt he gets $7 million in Vancouver...

Weren’t the Canucks offering Miller low 40’s (total millions) to Miller, and then upped the number to over 50, which got Miller to come down from over sixty?

If we can get Bo for a cap under 7 then that’s great.  But I think it’s going to be 7-7.25 x 7 or 8 years.  Bo will come in around the mid 50’s in total contract.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

A 30 goal scorer is not a third line center.

It’s called having a 1A, 1B, and 1C top 9. Any one of them could play top minutes on any given night.

I guess it’s been awhile since this team had depth. People don’t know what to make of it. :lol:

Have we ever had three top centres?  

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pageau took 1350 faceoffs last year, BO took 1475, so your math is off by quite a bit.  Obviously if BO is traded then Petey is playing full time centre and will take the extra 125 draws.  Pageau is a better 3C than BO as BO is really a 2C, so if the Islanders can give us Ryan Pulock in the deal and we send them over Tyler Myers I would be all over that deal.  Maybe we can get a 2nd rounder thrown in as well...

ok i'm off last year but he was pace for 1700+ last season. his highest is 1900+ basically he avg anywhere from 1700-1900 in a full season.. so no i'm not really that off... and you are dreaming if you think islander will give you pulock whom they just signed and in his 1st year of his 8 year deal with a full ntc and take back tyler myers.. EP is not ready to be a full time center taking draws.. he's basically taking draws in offensive zone only.. and there's only so many offensive zone draws he can take.. i'm willing to bet all the defensive draws hes taken were either from icing or the center thrown out of the draws. 

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Colton Parayko, Damon Severson, Ryan Pulock, Rasmus Ristolainen, Brandon Carlo, Brett Pesce, Adam Larsson would be my top 7 guys to go after.  Not sure if all of them would be available but those are the guys I would chase down.  

Ryan O'Reilly is a UFA next summer so St. Louis may be interested in BO as a replacement.  Parayko would be the perfect partner for Hughes and he's locked in at $6.5 million per year until he retires...

I'd settle for Parayko... we would have 2 legit top d pairings. 

Love Bo, but if this is what it takes... 

Hopefully not, but nothing is free in this world. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ok i'm off last year but he was pace for 1700+ last season. his highest is 1900+ basically he avg anywhere from 1700-1900 in a full season.. so no i'm not really that off... and you are dreaming if you think islander will give you pulock whom they just signed and in his 1st year of his 8 year deal with a full ntc and take back tyler myers.. EP is not ready to be a full time center taking draws.. he's basically taking draws in offensive zone only.. and there's only so many offensive zone draws he can take.. i'm willing to bet all the defensive draws hes taken were either from icing or the center thrown out of the draws. 

Horvat has never been over 1500 faceoffs in his entire career other than in 2018-2019.  Miller wasn't around then, he came the following year.  With Miller around Horvat is at 1500 faceoffs max which a guy like Pageau can take over as a true 3C.  Also, we have Lazar this year who shoots right and can take defensive draws to replace Bo's.  Petey can cover the offensive draws.  It's not that complicated.

I don't think the Islanders trade Pulock either but if BO wants to play hardball and he doesn't take a team friendly deal then JR will be trading him so we better start coming up with some good trade proposals...