The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Nov. 28, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I get your point, and it's a good one. Some posts are definitely over the top.

However, with some people on these boards being so emotionally invested in the Canucks, venting is to be expected, especially with this team performing far below expectations.

I want Green gone, I don't think he's a good coach, but I don't hate him. I would hazard a guess that in all of Canuckville, there are very, very few fans that actually legitimately hate him.

Wouldn't think that the way some posters "vent".   Same with JB.   The way both have been treated is absolutely shameful on this site, as well as some players.  

Going to the game on Wednesday, and i'm going down to the bench pre-game and going to thank Green personally for his efforts.   And the guys too.   Being a fan or stakeholder comes with responsibility too.  The vitriol on this site is something else when we lose .. lose and even win sometimes.   He's still a Canuck same with everyone else on the bench.   Where is the empathy?   All gone.   Win win win win win win win win.   If you can't stand the opposite of that, enjoy your new team but don't come crawling back when we finally do have a contender again without some serious penance.   Same with the rest of you.   And by the way, odds are that isn't going to happen until 2030 or something.   With 32 teams we should expect each contender cycle takes about that long now on "average".    

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out - and see you next game, be if it's this handle or another once you come to your senses.   If you can ignore the rest of the season, and just counted this game ... it wouldn't be happy from the outcome but you'd be saying at least they tried.   These guys are still trying. 

This is the national league buds.. trying doesn't  count for $&!#. I'll be back for sure same handle . I'm just not watching this trash until there's changes made. Enjoy 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What would you say to fans who don’t expect the team to win win win win win but rather are frustrated by the lack of any progress toward becoming able to do so in 8 years?

Empathy? For people who are failing at their jobs despite being paid huge amounts of money to simply win hockey games? The criticism is deserved and part of the job. Benning and Green don’t want to be criticized? Then do a better job. Or suck it up if you can’t. The empathy is that either has had a job this long.

When I saw Benning whine about how it hurts to be criticized it just hammered home the point to me that he is unfit for his job, if the results of 8 years hadn’t already done so. 

I'd say welcome to the reality of a 32 team league.    And if 8 years upsets you, then why wouldn't you support JB and his quick fixes?   Team never really bottomed out which was what the alternative would be.   Instead we missed the show four years in a row - had some hope in the bubble and here we are.   That's exactly what i'd say. 

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wouldn't think that the way some posters "vent".   Same with JB.   The way both have been treated is absolutely shameful on this site, as well as some players.  

Going to the game on Wednesday, and i'm going down to the bench pre-game and going to thank Green personally for his efforts.   And the guys too.   Being a fan or stakeholder comes with responsibility too.  The vitriol on this site is something else when we lose .. lose and even win sometimes.   He's still a Canuck same with everyone else on the bench.   Where is the empathy?   All gone.   Win win win win win win win win.   If you can't stand the opposite of that, enjoy your new team but don't come crawling back when we finally do have a contender again without some serious penance.   Same with the rest of you.   And by the way, odds are that isn't going to happen until 2030 or something.   With 32 teams we should expect each contender cycle takes about that long now on "average".    

If people are making personal attacks on members of the organization, whether it be the players, coach, or gm, then I agree with you. I've already said that some comments made on here are over the top.

But criticism relating to their performance this season are entirely warranted. This is professional sports, and results matter. And fans are allowed to voice their criticisms should the team perform below expectations.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Sweathog said:

If people are making personal attacks on members of the organization, whether it be the players, coach, or gm, then I agree with you. I've already said that some comments made on here are over the top.

But criticism relating to their performance this season are entirely warranted. This is professional sports, and results matter. And fans are allowed to voice their criticisms should the team perform below expectations.

Yes they are.  Absolutely.   But it doesn't need to include some of the language.   It's obvious the players are still trying, lose another close game but garbage this garbage that and it's been 8 long years blah blah blah.  Well it's going to take a while longer yet.   I for one, won't stop cheering for them.    And these are human beings.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, IBatch said:

I'd say welcome to the reality of a 32 team league.    And if 8 years upsets you, then why wouldn't you support JB and his quick fixes?   Team never really bottomed out which was what the alternative would be.   Instead we missed the show four years in a row - had some hope in the bubble and here we are.   That's exactly what i'd say. 

The team needed to bottom out though. 8 years of quick fixes and cap mismanagement is why the team is where it is. I call his drafting of EP, Hughes, Podkolzin, etc the accidental rebuild. A direct result of his retool moves failing so spectacularly. Can you imagine if even one of his big money for low impact player deals had worked out the way he envisioned them? A get to the playoffs and anything can happen mentality is simply a convenient excuse for teams who can’t build an actual contender. 

I would have been perfectly happy with an 8 year true rebuild because that would at least set up a well constructed and well managed team for a competitive window. 

You may have had hope in the bubble, I didn’t. They got in on a technicality and beat a team who played like garbage in STL. Then every weakness got highlighted against Vegas.

• Like 1

Remember the road trip to start the year, when we finished the trip with a not-too-bad record, despite not looking very good and at the end we were all like "OK, we didn't do too bad on that road trip. NOW the team is going to start getting it's $&!# together and playing like they mean it!"

Who would have though that okayish road trip would be the high point of the season?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes they are.  Absolutely.   But it doesn't need to include some of the language.   It's obvious the players are still trying, lose another close game but garbage this garbage that and it's been 8 long years blah blah blah.  Well it's going to take a while longer yet.   I for one, won't stop cheering for them.    And these are human beings.   

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. I don't enjoy the "garbage team" posts either. But at the same time it's the nature of the beast, some fans are just angrier than others.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sweathog said:

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. I don't enjoy the "garbage team" posts either. But at the same time it's the nature of the beast, some fans are just angrier than others.

Some seem to revel in their ignorance. I think a goodly number of fans have to 'up' their game to the same extent they expect the players too.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The team needed to bottom out though. 8 years of quick fixes and cap mismanagement is why the team is where it is. I call his drafting of EP, Hughes, Podkolzin, etc the accidental rebuild. A direct result of his retool moves failing so spectacularly. Can you imagine if even one of his big money for low impact player deals had worked out the way he envisioned them? A get to the playoffs and anything can happen mentality is simply a convenient excuse for teams who can’t build an actual contender. 

I would have been perfectly happy with an 8 year true rebuild because that would at least set up a well constructed and well managed team for a competitive window. 

You may have had hope in the bubble, I didn’t. They got in on a technicality and beat a team who played like garbage in STL. Then every weakness got highlighted against Vegas.

I think the issue for me is that yes Vegas outplayed us and Demko stood on his head but we still took them to 7 games and got in their heads enough that Dallas beat them. 

My issue is that

Petterson is not a bad player. In fact he was a great player but the poor strategy and usage has now come to the point that he looks like a complete noob on the ice and his confidence is shot. Either that or he's checked out. 

You don't win the SHL championship and win MVP without being a good player. 

There's pt conversions done all the time and he was charting to be a great NHL player. He then comes in as a rookie and was out best player. No one regresses this badly. Can you think of a rookie (like a true young player not an overager) who comes in, blows the door off, has 3 great season and then looks completely useless in his 4th season? I don't think I've witnessed something like that in my life. 

The problem though is that this is happening to our other star players like Boeser. 

I see guys that are having success in Green's team. It's the mid to small size prototypical fast in your face players like Motte, Hoglander, Garland (Miller to some degree). 

It'll also be guys like Highmore when he comes back. 

Why can't he coach to the strength of the rest of the team. 

Why is it so one dimensional? 

Isn't is scary to think that Green would probably have more success with a team full of Motte Highmore Hoglander, Garland rather than this team that has Petterson, Boeser Horvat, Miller as well as those guys mentioned above? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Some seem to revel in their ignorance. I think a goodly number of fans have to 'up' their game to the same extent they expect the players too.  

Yeah, I can see that. I don't know what to do about that except move on from them, unless they're breaking forum rules.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Bryan Lawton says that all the teams that won the cups lately were built before the 2015 Oilers draft lottery rule. He says that you can't really do those kinds of rebuilds anymore because you aren't guaranteed a high pick. Maybe he's right.

Just now, grumpyone said:

just read on twitter that marchand got fined $5,000 for his slewfoot on OEL... another joke brought to you by the DOPS. 

I only skipped through the game. I saw OEL down but get up so I was too lazy to go back to see what happened. 

Did the team stick up for him? 

I mean he's gotten punched in the face twice for his teammates now... I would hope someone did something? 

At this point, we are on a massive losing streak

Our pk let us down again and we lost in Canuck fashion. 

Are we actually playing disciplined because we're trying to win or is that an excuse for not caring about your teammates and being completely apathetic to what's happening on the ice?