The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Dec. 01, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I still like the line up JB has brought in so I don't mind giving him more time.

I would get rid of Green.

And yes folks, the goal tender is a position on a team. He has a uniform, a number and everything.

Sure. Why not? Another 2 years we should be competitive. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Nice to see a lot of Canuck fans in Ottawa jumping up and down cheering for the Canucks, they are more positive than the bandwagon sprained ankles jumpers in B.C.   The best sign was "Extend Benning".  

Indeed, I was one of them, the rink is very hospitable to the competition. So many nucks jerseys and no chirping from sens fans. It was awesome. only half full but no suits with phones...Mind you, the beer and whisky cost me $200.

I hope YVR fans can seem some games like this. The home record and compete is embarrassing...GCG

11 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Nice to see a lot of Canuck fans in Ottawa jumping up and down cheering for the Canucks, they are more positive than the bandwagon sprained ankles jumpers in B.C.   The best sign was "Extend Benning".  

Thinking back, my daughter pointed out the best sign. "Poolman makes me wet". He must have some friends in the area.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Nice win over a pretty weak team but a win none the less. Cannot remember seeing a team like Ottawa struggle as much moving the puck up ice. Gaudette was noticeable but his goal was a gimme and then he gets cooked on 2 against. How many games did this guy get with the Hawks? Comes to the Sens and they put him on the PP from the get go. Sign of desperation or what?

Canucks I noticed:

The Good:

Schenn: the goal was nice but his physical play is giving the d-core a bit of an identity. Solid game.

Hughes: 4 point night in a solid season to date. Much better in his own zone as well. Tied for 2nd in d-man offensive stats!

Garland: He doesn't stop and is a big play player. The Pearson goal was all him. Very few better than Garland 4 X 4. Give him some room and watch out!

Motte: IMHO he was the 1st Star last night. Key goal + high speed puck pursuit + moved the puck up ice quickly by skating and passing + PK slot

Head scratchers:

Poolman: for an experienced d-man he seems to struggle in his own zone. Gambles. Not physical enough.

Miller: He put up 3 points last night and his solo drive aka McDavid was fun to watch. What I don't get with this guy is an apparent disconnect between the high risk plays he makes with his passing, mostly. Canucks are struggling for wins and instead of the safe play he will try the thread pass? He is obviously an emotional guy which can be good but that coasting back to the bench after a failed play irks me. NYR and TBay both let him move on. Canucks need him to reset.

Petey: Green has cut him back to 13 minutes +/- TOI. I am OK with that, it gives him a chance to calm down and compete for ice a little bit more. Nothing wrong with that. 

BB: not like Brock isn't getting his looks. I think he hit another post last night. This isn't the first drought of his career which makes me question his longevity in Van. You cannot have a shooter who defers to team mates as much as he does. 

Next up is Pitt. They lost to the Oilers last night and played a pretty decent game. Canucks will be in tough on this one. Sid looks great.  

Good assessments.

I like Miller and he is an integral part of this team, but the coaches need to talk to him about those plays. Ottawa and Montreal didn't capitalize but better teams that we will be going against will. We are losing games by 1 goal, Miller's poor puck management/decisions could be the difference.

When you don't have a play, off the glass and out or if you are in the offensive zone, put the puck in deep. Trust your teammates.

I think Petey getting 13 minutes is good for him. Let him get away from tight checking and put in the maximal effort when he is on the ice. And slowly earn the ice time.

Boeser may not be playing at 100%. Like Petey, he needs to focus on small things and trust his shot more.

Overall, I think we had more shots from the slot and the danger areas. Getting the forecheckers in deep caused some turnovers and those led to good opportunities as well.

Keep doing that and we will be in a good shape heading into Penguins game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

LOL at the guy with the "Extend Benning" sign. Must be a guy that Francesco paid to hold that sign up. 

So we win two games in a row, against two of the worse teams in the league. Can't criticize a win I suppose, even if it is against a bad team (I mean, we're bad too..sooooo). Momentum is momentum, and I guess we have some at this stage coming home. Could we make it 3 in a row? Who knows. The boys must be feeling a little better about themselves, since this is the first time they've actually won two games in a row (am I right or wrong?). 

Still doesn't change the fact that Benning and Weisbrod both need to go. Green probably also needs to still go, but their winning streak now just delays, what I think is eventually the inevitable. 

Anyone actually think the Canucks can get back to .500? 

Imagine yourself in talks with Aqua about the Prez job

A "Yes come to Vancouver and we'll get this signed"

Canucks beat Montreal

A " Sorry, I have an urgent meeting, can you hold off til next week?"

Canucks beat Ottawa

A " Ya, something came up, maybe we'll talk in Janruary"

meanwhile the top talent signs elsewhere

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Isn't that what he said in the summer?  They were eyeing the playoffs, but they were looking at being truly competitive in 2-3 years

Lol. Jim has said a lot of things in his tenure. Few of which have actually come to fruition. 

Edited by Pickly

2 hours ago, stawns said:

It's entertaining watching the trolls after some wins and a stretch of good hockey (for the most part)

are you trolling the trolls?

its interesting watching the faithful trolls troll the trolls

hey lookit me, 

I'm trolling a troll troller

Edited by lmm

57 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

The problem with that O-zone stat is that it can be heavily weighted by how much time a team is on the powerplay.

The Canucks lead the league in powerplay opportunities, by a fairly wide margin. (Canucks have had 83, 2nd Avs with 77, 3rd 72, average is 64.) And their PP% is low, so the amount of time they have spent with an extra man on the ice more than anyone else is significant. That's a lot of "easy" O-zone time.

The more telling stat there is how few quality offensive chances they are generating with all of that O-zone time. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The problem with that O-zone stat is that it can be heavily weighted by how much time a team is on the powerplay.

The Canucks lead the league in powerplay opportunities, by a fairly wide margin. (Canucks have had 83, 2nd Avs with 77, 3rd 72, average is 64.) And their PP% is low, so the amount of time they have spent with an extra man on the ice more than anyone else is significant. That's a lot of "easy" O-zone time.

The more telling stat there is how few quality offensive chances they are generating with all of that O-zone time. 

I could be wrong in this case but usually those kinds of stats address 5-on-5 only.

Although usually that is notated somewhere but it's not on that graphic, so I'm not so sure.

Regardless, you are still correct. We're fine when it comes to puck possession time and shot metrics but not scoring chance metrics which is more important than both (because the point of possession time and shots is to generate scoring chances).

Edited by kanucks25

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

The owner, yes. The one that signs the cheques and is supposed to let the professionals that they hire do their jobs.

A proper rebuild 8 years ago would have yielded greater results by now than the failed retool. Linden saw the light and wanted to rebuild this team the right way but ownership had no appetite for it. Just bandaids and half-measures.

Why would a President want to stick around when they don’t have autonomy? What legitimate hockey mind would want to be a part of this organization?

Until the way ownership manages their investment changes, the only people that will want to come here are inexperienced management/coaches looking for their shot at career advancement.

Those at the top of their fields won’t be interested in coming to an organization where they will be micromanaged and not permitted to execute their vision. 

Hrs the boss, if he wants to have a say, have at it.  There's 31 other teams to cheer for if it bothers people that much.  

If I were shelling out billions of dollars, yiu can bet I'd be involved too

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I could be wrong in this case but usually those kinds of stats address 5-on-5 only.

Although usually that is notated somewhere but it's not on that graphic, so I'm not so sure.

Regardless, you are still correct. We're fine when it comes to puck possession time and shot metrics but not scoring chance metrics which is more important than both (because the point of possession time and shots is to generate scoring chances).

canucks-ozone-possession-time.png;w=960

It just seems to be total O-zone time. But yeah, it would be a much more telling stat if it were just 5-on-5.

But given the eye test, and the amount of time the Canucks have been on special teams, I think it's extremely unlikely that the Canucks would be 2nd in the league if it were just 5-on-5. They would have to be dominant in even strength play to make up for how much less time they've been even strength.

• Vintage 1