The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Players will try their hardest for awhile to try to impress the new coach , even after that wears off I don’t think the team will digress.  It might just turn out Benning built a decent team after all. (Lol)

Boudreau recognized immediately the lack of physicality on the forecheck, day one of practice, “ it doesn’t have to be a bone crushing hit every time , it just has to be enough contact  to make the defenceman think about making a mistake “ 

i don’t know if Green will ever figure that out.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Great point. Green was responsible for being coach of the worst PP and PK team in the league. Those were his assistants he chose.

Yes. Its hilarious when people absolve Green because it was "Baumers defense". Whats the point of being the head coach if you're not accountable for overseeing your assistants work?

There was also that interview where Green was talking about the powerplay and why it wasnt working, and how the players needed to give their input/ideas in order to get better.

Yikes. I think the simplest explanation for the underperformance of some players is they just lost faith in the system that they knew just didnt work, and figured their coaches didnt know how to improve them 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

If you didnt notice, they played a completely different style last night.  It wasnt effort but a pressure defense and a strong forcheck.  Green’s system didnt pressure the puck in the defensive zone but instead stayed positionly between the goalie and puck carrier.  Offensive players love time and space, both of which were taken away last night for the most part.  I love the fact that boudreau has personality and a sense of humor,, he will have short term great results with this uptight group. Long term we will see!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

prepare to be let down. the adrenaline of change will only last so long. 

I'll be curious to see how they respond to adversity. 

With the new coaching staffs, I believe they will respond quite nicely than they did in the last 18 months.

19 hours ago, Josepho said:

There's so much evidence that players weren't pleased with management, and then there's the way they treated the COVID outbreak and some of their most popular players,…

^This.

Communication is the key to everything, or so says some of the players like Miller & Hughes. Timely communication apparently wasn’t always there from management.

This was also a reoccurring & common complaint by former Canucks prior to departing. Clear & concise planning was not articulated to the players, during day to day activities, events or during a crisis. They & their families needed more information to feel safe, stress free & secure.

Loyalty & respect to long-time or veteran players like Edler, Ericksson, Beagle, Tanev, Markstrom even Toffoli seemed missing after the bubble-run. Either endeavour to show that you care like family, or the players will feel disconnected & more mercenary.

^Which one of those 2 options do think feels better, when you are at home & going to sleep at night or returning to the rink the following day? 

Edited by viking mama

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Boudreau has done a really nice job so far of lightening the mood, bringing in Scott Walker, communicating, talking to players, setting a realistic target of improving a point a week and allowing everyone to breathe now that we have an experienced NHL coach in charge.

Green blew up.  Was ok. But did not have the experience to know where his shortcomings were and didn't know how to develop the young superstars past their first couple years to grow into real stars in the league.

Boudreau is a breath of fresh air.

Boudreau is Vanni Sartini 2.0 

Here's hoping anyway 

2 hours ago, tas said:

prepare to be let down. the adrenaline of change will only last so long. 

I'll be curious to see how they respond to adversity. 

Honestly they're a way better team than people give them credit for. Id say just about every player was playing under their potential under Green. How do I know this? Look at all the players who left.

We all thought Edler was too old and too slow, and he's playing 5 years younger for LA. Schmidt has been lighting it up for Winnipeg, Tanev and Markstrom are both playing like gods. 

On paper we have one of the best top-9s in the league. 3 excellent scoring lines. We also have 2 defensemen capable of being the #1 (Hughes and OEL). OEL looked incredible his first few games with us until he was stifled by Green. Yes the rest of our top-4 needs work - but remember too that Myers and Poolman both played for Winnipeg which has had a defensive system nearly as bad as ours. Those two guys might be better defensively than we think, with some good coaching, and if our forwards are dominating puck possession. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Honestly they're a way better team than people give them credit for. Id say just about every player was playing under their potential under Green. How do I know this? Look at all the players who left.

We all thought Edler was too old and too slow, and he's playing 5 years younger for LA. Schmidt has been lighting it up for Winnipeg, Tanev and Markstrom are both playing like gods. 

On paper we have one of the best top-9s in the league. 3 excellent scoring lines. We also have 2 defensemen capable of being the #1 (Hughes and OEL). OEL looked incredible his first few games with us until he was stifled by Green. Yes the rest of our top-4 needs work - but remember too that Myers and Poolman both played for Winnipeg which has had a defensive system nearly as bad as ours. Those two guys might be better defensively than we think, with some good coaching, and if our forwards are dominating puck possession. 

Gonna say - maybe Schmidt left partly because of Green and/or Baumgartner. Both of them got extended. Schmidt wasn't willing to have his career derailed by either of these unproven coaches.

Baum is nice, so I don't have anything bad to say, other than that he is probably not qualified yet. Green, on the other hand, has shown little adaptability and progress throughout his tenure here.

Just now, Dazzle said:

Gonna say - maybe Schmidt left partly because of Green and/or Baumgartner. Both of them got extended. Schmidt wasn't willing to have his career derailed by either of these unproven coaches.

Baum is nice, so I don't have anything bad to say, other than that he is probably not qualified yet. Green, on the other hand, has shown little adaptability and progress throughout his tenure here.

Yeah it just seemed like Baumer wasnt ready to coach an NHL defense and PK. More experience in the AHL is needed for sure.

• Cheers 1