The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, AC30 said:

This new coach vibe reminds me of when ‘The Crow’ Marc Crawford arrived shortly after Keenan was fired by Brian Burke 

I can’t help but feel this positive vibe surrounding the team now 

you get the feeling that the team has bought into things - drank the Kool-aid

that good things are about to happen

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree that Boudreau has been the last 48 hours so refreshing. 

He’s such a charismatic individual. So full of life at 66 years old. Crazy. He seems to have more life at 66 than Green at 50. How odd is that. 

Green was showing signs of being beat down in this deal....which would likely rub off on the team.  For me, he stood behind his guys but I'm not sure he deep down believed the words he was saying...it was spin.  The room reflected that and the theme was...."defeated" and beat down.  I feel like he'd lost confidence and so that was naturally being passed on.  Like he had checked out because the team had.  I liked him but it was painfully obvious his best before date here had past.  In his defense, it's tough to find anything to say to the masses when you're going through this type of adversity.  

His personality was different than Boudreau's, that's for sure.  More of a dry humour and sarcasm.  Boudreau's like a jolly old Santa Claus, hard not to like him.  But I like how he gets that you don't kick the players when they're down, that's when they need support (I think Green also showed that).  Boudreau has said he's tougher on his teams when they start to get too cocky and confident, which is keeping things in check and I like it.

But the biggest difference, for me, is how Bruce understands that you don't "wait" for the other team to come at you...you go after them.  He hates backing up and feels strongly about forechecking and being aggressive in the neutral zone.  He hates that a team dumps the puck in, changes, then allows the other team to start advancing with the puck.   It kills offense and, in his words, "is boring hockey".  Also how he's told Brock (and likely Petey now) to just shoot...don't pass.  He seems to appreciate the talent he's given and taps in to that versus trying to force something that's unnatural to some of these players.

It won't be perfect....this is the honeymoon stage.  But we have to, as a fanbase, know that it isn't "just win all the time" and not be too critical if it isn't a matter of completely turning the season around.  Old habits die hard.  My expectation is that we'll see a more inspired team that is "permitted" to use instinct a bit more and stop overthinking things.  

I really love Boudreau's attitude....I'm sure that this is him just showing his best side and it won't be all roses.  But even in the rant that's been posted all over the place....his biggest message is "believe in yourself" and don't mope and whine.  Which is a really good message.

I love how he seems to really connect with players and how he wants to "listen" to what they think/feel.  That's important when you're trying to get the best out of people...to make them feel heard.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Green was showing signs of being beat down in this deal....which would likely rub off on the team.  For me, he stood behind his guys but I'm not sure he deep down believed they could play better/turn things around and the mood in the room was...."defeated".  I feel like he'd lost confidence and so that was naturally being passed on.  It was spin being put out there and I feel like he, to some degree, had checked out because the team had.  I liked him but it was painfully obvious his best before date here had past. 

His personality was different than Boudreau's, that's for sure.  More of a dry humour and sarcasm.  Boudreau's like a jolly old Santa Claus, hard not to like him.  But I like how he gets that you don't kick the players when they're down, that's when they need support (I think Green also showed that).  Boudreau has said he's tougher on his teams when they start to get too cocky and confident, which is keeping things in check and I like it.

But the biggest difference, for me, is how Bruce understands that you don't "wait" for the other team to come at you...you go after them.  He hates backing up and feels strongly about forechecking and being aggressive in the neutral zone.  He hates that a team dumps the puck in, changes, then allows the other team to start advancing with the puck.   It kills offense and, in his words, "is boring hockey".  Also how he's told Brock (and likely Petey now) to just shoot...don't pass.  He seems to appreciate the talent he's given and taps in to that versus trying to force something that's unnatural to some of these players.

It won't be perfect....this is the honeymoon stage.  But we have to, as a fanbase, know that it isn't "just win all the time" and not be too critical if it isn't a matter of completely turning the season around.  Old habits die hard.  My expectation is that we'll see a more inspired team that is "permitted" to use instinct a bit more and stop overthinking things.  

I really love Boudreau's attitude....I'm sure that this is him just showing his best side and it won't be all roses.  But even in the rant that's been posted all over the place....his biggest message is "believe in yourself" and don't mope and whine.  Which is a really good message.

I love how he seems to really connect with players and how he wants to "listen" to what they think/feel.  That's important when you're trying to get the best out of people...to make them feel heard.

Craig Button summarized it well I think, Green coached to manage our rosters weaknesses, Bruce tends to coach to a teams strengths.

We're going to see BB's style get burned some nights, but the difference will be that guys won't be as easily brought down under the weight of it.

51 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Come on, seriously?

That wasn't "the fan base"...that was punks and thugs who like to cause trouble.  I'm SO tired of that being thrown out there.

2010: Looters smashed windows and clashed with police on Montreal's Ste-Catherine St. after the Canadiens defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins in the final game of the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. At least 25 people were arrested.

2008: Cars were burned and downtown stores were trashed after the Canadiens beat the Boston Bruins to advance to the second round that season's playoffs.

2006: When the Edmonton Oilers clinched the Western Conference title and advanced to the Stanley Cup playoffs, fans began setting fires and looting along Whyte Ave. Police made about 15 arrests and reprimanded hockey lovers for partying irresponsibly. The Oilers went on to lose the final.

1993: Montreal's Stanley Cup victory over the Los Angeles Kings turned ugly when fans began vandalizing stores and setting police cars ablaze. Nearly 170 people were injured and more than 100 were arrested. The violence caused an estimated $2.5 million in damage.

1986 - Some 5,000 jubilant Montreal fans celebrating the Canadiens' Stanely Cup win over the Calgary Flames rampaged through the city's downtown. Officials were so poorly prepared that Quebec courts ruled police criminally negligent.

1955: Violence broke out in the streets of Montreal after star forward Maurice Richard was handed a stiff suspension. Richard broke his stick over a Boston Bruins player and hit a linesmen, causing the NHL to suspend him for all remaining games including potential playoff matches. Habs fans rioted in protest of the ruling, which many interpreted as a prejudicial decision based in part on Richard's francophone heritage. There were roughly 100 arrests and $100,000 worth of property damage during the riot.

Yeah yeah yeah.  We arent the only ones, so that makes us less disgusting right?   Nah. 

You may be so sick of hearing it, but that doesn’t make it any less true.  Sure, there were a bunch of skids involved, but you can’t just turn a blind eye to the huge amount of fans in the riots.  
The Orca was pretty much the team logo of the rioters.  
TONS of jerseys in the riots that night.  

BCED6A8A-E66C-4CD0-877C-22FA437254EA.jpeg

Edited by D.B Cooper

Boudreau's definitely revitalized the fanbase a bit, crazy how making positive change has garnered a positive response. Aquilini was right, they did wait too long. But what do ya do?

All they can focus on is trying to repair the damage that's been done, and on restoring the faith of the fanbase because they've certainly lost a lot of it. At least this season should be interesting to track now for something more that morbid fascination. 

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:
On 12/7/2021 at 10:00 AM, D.B Cooper said:

Come on, seriously?

That wasn't "the fan base"...that was punks and thugs who like to cause trouble.  I'm SO tired of that being thrown out there.

Agreed!  We all know the people rioting were never fans and were there to just make trouble.  Most probably couldn't name more then 2 players on this team.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Boudreau's definitely revitalized the fanbase a bit, crazy how making positive change has garnered a positive response. Aquilini was right, they did wait too long. But what do ya do?

All they can focus on is trying to repair the damage that's been done, and on restoring the faith of the fanbase because they've certainly lost a lot of it. At least this season should be interesting to track now for something more that morbid fascination. 

The games should at least be fun to watch.  Green had sucked all the enjoyment out of the game for me, and I'm not going to tune in when it feels like a chore.  It's probably too late to salvage the season, but at least exciting hockey will be back.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

The games should at least be fun to watch.  Green had sucked all the enjoyment out of the game for me, and I'm not going to tune in when it feels like a chore.  It's probably too late to salvage the season, but at least exciting hockey will be back.

Yup, I just want to see an honest effort night in and night out under a competent coaching staff. That's how low the bar got under Green. 

4 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yeah yeah yeah.  We arent the only ones, so that makes us less disgusting right?   Nah. 

You may be so sick of hearing it, but that doesn’t make it any less true.  Sure, there were a bunch of skids involved, but you can’t just turn a blind eye to the huge amount of fans in the riots.  
The Orca was pretty much the team logo of the rioters.  
TONS of jerseys in the riots that night.  

BCED6A8A-E66C-4CD0-877C-22FA437254EA.jpeg

The actions of a few morons doesn't encompass the majority of the fanbase, anyone capable of discernment can see that.

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

The actions of a few morons doesn't encompass the majority of the fanbase, anyone capable of discernment can see that.

Nobody said majority.  
But still a lot!    This is also just one of many reasons why we would be considered ‘toxic’

How about how we completely over hype every prospect, then crucify them when they don’t meet the ridiculous goals set for them?  

Fire Benning banners flying around?  

Jerseys one the ice?

Just read the boards for a while and I don’t know how you could disagree…. 

At the very least, CDC is toxic. Hahah

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Nobody said majority.  
But still a lot!    This is also just one of many reasons why we would be considered ‘toxic’

How about how we completely over hype every prospect, then crucify them when they don’t meet the ridiculous goals set for them?  

Jerseys one the ice?

its called "fanatic" for a reason. 

I don't think you've shown how we're much, if at all, different from many fan bases. Do we get a little gritty? yeah maybe. Welcome to East Van. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree that Boudreau has been the last 48 hours so refreshing. 

He’s such a charismatic individual. So full of life at 66 years old. Crazy. He seems to have more life at 66 than Green at 50. How odd is that. 

He's old as dirt but he coaches like a 40-50 year old.  

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

It sounds like as a fan you internalized that event and the narratives surrounding it, and yeah, I don't blame you. it was tough seeing that in 2011. I haven't turned a blind eye to the riots, nor did I try and say that those weren't 'real' fans  Like any big fanbase, we have despicable elements to be sure, but this fanbase as a whole is far from despicable. 

You take the good with the bad. Are we better than the other fanbases? After that riot, no I don't think so anymore. It was a humbling moment.

But you can't ignore the good either, focus on the ones who showed up after to clean up the mess and try to make things a little brighter. This fanbase is more nuanced than what you're giving them credit for. If you wanna focus on that one day, I do encourage you to focus on the other parts too. 

riot%20aftermath%20035.jpg?itok=N4M9XzJZ

image.png.5ffd0a5c4071c39a508aa8e84d374222.png

323173410-247ef42eb84f794523a9e50597639c7d

image.png

There is always good with the bad, and vice versa.   
Id never say the majority is toxic, but let’s not act like the ones that are don’t count. 
 To see people say ‘it’s not canucks fans’ is insane.  
Look at the pictures where most the crowd are in jerseys.  

Turning a blind eye doesn’t make it so.  
kinda like the list of other teams riots that Deb listed, but conveniently left out our 1st riot!

lol

Vancouver itself has a pretty snobby attitude as is,  it’s not crazy to think some of the fans are awful too.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Nobody said majority.  

Jerseys one the ice?

Who's the "we" you're referring to here? I've rarely overhyped and prospect and have rarely crucified them when they've not completely panned out. 

I've never put a cent of money or a second of time into any banners flying around the city, nor into a jersey that was thrown onto the ice. 

There was a very specific group of people that organized the banner, and only individual who threw their jersey on the ice. Taking those two actions and applying them to an entire fanbase is just lazy. 

Same with applying that the entire fanbase is toxic because of what a percentage write on an online forum. If you want a toxic online experience, open YouTube and check out some of the comments sections on various videos. Or better yet, go on Twitter. 

It's a simplistic approach to generalize a whole group of people on the actions of individuals. Very commonplace these days, mind you.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who's the "we" you're referring to here? I've rarely overhyped and prospect and have rarely crucified them when they've not completely panned out. 

I've never put a cent of money or a second of time into any banners flying around the city, nor into a jersey that was thrown onto the ice. 

There was a very specific group of people that organized the banner, and only individual who threw their jersey on the ice. Taking those two actions and applying them to an entire fanbase is just lazy. 

Same with applying that the entire fanbase is toxic because of what a percentage write on an online forum. If you want a toxic online experience, open YouTube and check out some of the comments sections on various videos. Or better yet, go on Twitter. 

It's a simplistic approach to generalize a whole group of people on the actions of individuals. Very commonplace these days, mind you.

We are all Canucks…….

Like I said, no majority.  There are all kinds in our big pool.  I’m not saying we are all trash. 
Im saying ignoring the trash the we do have floating around the pool isn’t right either.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

We are all Canucks…….

Like I said, no majority.  There are all kinds in our big pool.  I’m not saying we are all trash. 
Im saying ignoring the trash the we do have floating around the pool isn’t right either.  

we've actually got a pretty complex fan base. We have so many people that have the Canucks as their "2nd team" that its too easy for a lot of people to go negative quickly. Anyone that has the 'nucks as their primary team isn't usually the cause of this stuff, imo. Add to that a pretty toxic local media and things look worse than they really are, imo anyway. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

We are all Canucks…….

Oh, there's definitely a portion of the fanbase that are assclowns who are reactive chuckleheads with little to no concept of the game nor the ability to play it. I fully agree there. 

To me, they're the detritus that one has to sift through sometimes. Not worth much more than a cursory glance. 

The folks who mindlessly bash players without context aren't worth your time. They provide nothing that can be reasoned or negotiated with. 

I've watched Caddyshack and know the perils of ignoring things floating around a pool.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

We are all Canucks…….

Being a trash person is not a “fan” thing, its a “You are a trash person” thing.

• Cheers 3