The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 1/13/2022 at 3:40 AM, spook007 said:

And if we get rid of Myers, who is going to stand up to the heavies, when they start pounding our defenders? 
They need a mix of both. Green also wanted an ectra puck moving dman and used Rathbone in that position. It was a disaster... 

d has been a lot better since they started playing dmen who can actually defend. 
its not just about scoring goals...

If Petey could find the trigger again, we'd been in a far better place now. 

Id be willing to give J Bone another shot he is a better fit in Boudreau's system where he encourages every d man to jump up and join the rush. At the very least if the d could quick up and head man the puck up ice to the forwards if they can't make a good stretch pass or skate it themselves would be an improvement.

If everyone is healthy at some point next month.. I would like them to try Rathbone and Hamonic on the third pair together.

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone-Hamonic

8 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Id be willing to give J Bone another shot he is a better fit in Boudreau's system where he encourages every d man to jump up and join the rush. At the very least if the d could quick up and head man the puck up ice to the forwards if they can't make a good stretch pass or skate it themselves would be an improvement.

If everyone is healthy at some point next month.. I would like them to try Rathbone and Hamonic on the third pair together.

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone-Hamonic

Fair enough...

I was happy, he (like Lockwood) were sent down to marinate a little more in the A.... My main concern was the defending part.

Quinn has come leaps and bounces since last year, so maybe Rathbone would as well, but I have been pleasantly surprised about our defence since Boudreau took over.

If Petey hasn't taken the season off, we would be in an even better place.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So has the fire Boudreau movement started yet? A three game losing streak! Unacceptable!

Should we meet at city square and call for his head? Threaten his family?  Or is that reserved for GMs only?

Canes have a strong group, are a superior team in the standings & highly ranked. Can’t win ‘em all.

‘Nucks gave it a rebel yell & professional go from the start. No shame. 

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, mll said:

Both.  Boudreau gives Tampa as example.

He was on Sekeres&Price today and expanded on it.   He wants the Ds to jump into the play, Myers to shoot more and OEL to be more like he was 4 years ago in Arizona. 

Says he has history with teams of the defence being very mobile, aggressive and offensively gifted a lot of them.  Lists Green, Fowler in Anaheim and Spurgeon, Dumba, Suter and such in Minnesota.  He wants to play that up tempo game and says Tampa is a perfect example of how that goes.  Says it's not like he wants them to sacrifice their defensive game for their offensive game but believes they can do both and be more aggressive offensively.

Goes back even further to the first rendition of Ovi's career with Mike Green, who for a little while at least, had shades of Paul Coffey,  31 goals and 73 points in 68 games ... a lot of people forget he did that.   Didn't win the Norris but was close, and was also a first all-star team member two years in a row under Bruce...even now 501 points in 880 games is nothing to sneeze at,  either is 150 career goals ... good for 72nd all-time and counting.   Bruce won a lot of division titles...Gabby knows his stuff.    Hope he can get some of the same magic going he made for all his other teams .... making the playoffs these days matters a lot.  

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

Fair enough...

I was happy, he (like Lockwood) were sent down to marinate a little more in the A.... My main concern was the defending part.

Quinn has come leaps and bounces since last year, so maybe Rathbone would as well, but I have been pleasantly surprised about our defence since Boudreau took over.

If Petey hasn't taken the season off, we would be in an even better place.

Sending Rathbone to the AHL and keeping him away from Green and Baumgartner was probably the smartest thing Benning did.  I'm not opposed to bringing him back up and letting Boudreau try to undo whatever damage those unqualified baboons managed to cause while he was here though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Sending Rathbone to the AHL and keeping him away from Green and Baumgartner was probably the smartest thing Benning did.  I'm not opposed to bringing him back up and letting Boudreau try to undo whatever damage those unqualified baboons managed to cause while he was here though.

Yes that was probably an added bonus...

Time will tell, if he manages to find a spot, but will not be surprised to see him in a package together with someone else for an upgrade.... an upgrade with size...

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Boudreau will get a couple months with this team before the experts will decide how well he's doing.    Putting this all on the former coaching staff is just silly.   Same guys who had EP looking like the next one playing with Goldobin - same ones who Miller's career took of under, making him a very very rich man in the future, Pearson recovered his career with, Brock Boeser had his best seasons with, and QHs started his journey as a phenom (so far).    Not to mention LE didn't do any better with WD, and his current coach lol.    Or Roussel for that matter or Beagle (who's out and probably done now).    Heffy know you like to puff your chest and blow a bunch of blowhard nasty remarks out there, but it's not going to age well.  

Green wasn't perfect nobody is saying that.   Roster is the roster.   Maybe, just maybe it's just not good enough. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Boudreau will get a couple months with this team before the experts will decide how well he's doing.    Putting this all on the former coaching staff is just silly.   Same guys who had EP looking like the next one playing with Goldobin - same ones who Miller's career took of under, making him a very very rich man in the future, Pearson recovered his career with, Brock Boeser had his best seasons with, and QHs started his journey as a phenom (so far).    Not to mention LE didn't do any better with WD, and his current coach lol.    Or Roussel for that matter or Beagle (who's out and probably done now).    Heffy know you like to puff your chest and blow a bunch of blowhard nasty remarks out there, but it's not going to age well.  

Green wasn't perfect nobody is saying that.   Roster is the roster.   Maybe, just maybe it's just not good enough. 

May not all be Green's fault but Boudreau himself said EP's confidence was shot.  What  evidence is there to suggest that Green is capable of coaching at any capacity at a professional level?  Neither WD nor Green are qualified to coach in the NHL, but at least WD didn't intentionally destroy his team's confidence.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So Bomber found a job before Green eh? 

I feel bad for Power.  Waits a year only to have the WJHC cancelled and have an unqualified moron coaching him in China.  If I'm in charge of Buffalo I'm not letting him go in order to prevent Baumgartner from causing permanent damage.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:26 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

But then today in the Province, this is what Luke Schenn said about Tampa Bay's key to success in winning their recent Stanley Cups:

“The biggest thing they changed in order to win a championship — after losing in the first round — is that they were relying a lot more on skill. They have a big, strong and heavy D-core and that’s what they pride themselves on — being good in the corners and in front.”

This looks like quite a different approach to constructing a D-core than what Boudreau is talking about today..........so who's approach is right???:unsure:

Thanks for sharing this. This is my take as well on how that team toughened up for the playoffs.

They already had so much skill up front that filling the roster with heavy D core made total sense to help the forwards win the board battles and protect the crease. It also helps that their best Dman is 6'6 physically dominant player that also skates so well.

I think our forward group is built more like Tampa with speed, skill, and finesse rather than heavy guys. And our best PMD is under 6 feet.

IMO, it makes sense to round out the roster with Dmen that can handle the heavy game. 

3 hours ago, khay said:

Thanks for sharing this. This is my take as well on how that team toughened up for the playoffs.

They already had so much skill up front that filling the roster with heavy D core made total sense to help the forwards win the board battles and protect the crease. It also helps that their best Dman is 6'6 physically dominant player that also skates so well.

I think our forward group is built more like Tampa with speed, skill, and finesse rather than heavy guys. And our best PMD is under 6 feet.

IMO, it makes sense to round out the roster with Dmen that can handle the heavy game. 

It was the same top-4 D that got swept by Columbus and then won it all the next season in the bubble.  Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak and Sergachev were their most played Ds both playoffs.  They had added Shattenkirk - not really a crease clearing D over Girardi and traded for Bogosian.  Schenn played 11 of 25 games.

They made changes up front with the addition of Maroon, and then Goodrow and Coleman at the TDL.  CBJ neutralised their speed and didn't allow them to get through the neutral zone.  Adding forecheckers and adjusting their puck management gave them more versatility. 

Tampa does have a heavy D-corps but they can skate.  MacLellan and Armstrong both cited having a mobile D-corps as one of their 5 key reasons they finally won a Cup.  

On 1/13/2022 at 12:26 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

But then today in the Province, this is what Luke Schenn said about Tampa Bay's key to success in winning their recent Stanley Cups:

“The biggest thing they changed in order to win a championship — after losing in the first round — is that they were relying a lot more on skill. They have a big, strong and heavy D-core and that’s what they pride themselves on — being good in the corners and in front.”

This looks like quite a different approach to constructing a D-core than what Boudreau is talking about today..........so who's approach is right???:unsure:

I think you gotta have a good and healthy mix. Your defense can’t all be the same way. Gotta have some diversity of skills, toughness, heaviness, etc. And that of course is always easier said than done. But the championship teams have the right mix. The Canucks do not. 

OEL has turned into a serviceable defenseman good at most things bit lost that scoring magic. Schenn no points but great on the body. Myers is great in the playoffs we've seen. Poolman is a serviceable stay at home type not much offense. Burroughs is a tougher 6 dman. Huggy is Huggy. 

Rathbone has trouble on the boards and in the corners and can't really clear the crease. He has time to  develop and be a PP back up dman in the future. I'd like to see Booker, as a tough Dman, and see what he brings.

Hunt is a poor man's Huggy. 

For offense I'd like to see the coaches work with OEL and up his game. Maybe play him with the 4th line and activate him more. Forwards put on notice to support. 

• 11 months later...
16 minutes ago, Muttley said:

:rolleyes:

Nothing has really changed, Green is still a terrible coach. I don't think he is going to get a coaching gig again anytime soon so he won't ruin any other teams/players. I wouldn't trust him to coach a beer league team, let alone professional hockey.  Isn't this the worst record for Canada in Spengler Cup history? 

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1