The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Like old-fashioned and expired Claude Julien?

Like toxic and expired Mike Babcock?

Like Green-lite and OEL hater Rick Tocchet?

Boudreau worked with what he had in his past. He’s never had this young a team with this much upside and this much character and leadership. 

You forgot Keenan.  I think he’s still available too.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

It got to a point where the talent level on this team had reached the point it had outgrown Green.  Green is good at getting the most out of lesser talented teams, he worked well with kids in the AHL and in the early stages of the Canucks rebuild.  But make no mistake, Boudreau is a much higher caliber of talent than Green and for once he will bring emotion and fire into the locker room. Canucks got a grade A and underrated coach.  Washington didn’t appreciate him and took him for granted now we have a Crawford caliber talent.  I’m sure Smyle will lit him assemble his own staff.  

We might miss Benning’s late round gems at the draft but we’ve reached a point in this franchises evolution that it’s not as important anymore.  

Not exactly he did not make the ahl playoffs more than did. Coaches like Boudreau Cooper when they were Ahl coaches made the playoffs more than not. Green is a junior level coach not even Ahl.

• Wat 1

Excited to see a passionate coach behind the bench for our team! BB is 66 years old, so could be grooming Walker as a potential replacement?? Does anyone know if there is any history between BB and Walker? Or did the owners bring in a familiar face, Walker was with us not too long ago but seems to have left to embark on getting some coaching experience...now here he is! Hope he will be our Martin Gelinas for the Lames, I have to think he will get a head coaching gig sometime soon.

No matter how you slice it, this change was long overdue, now it puts the players on notice and they need to show up and put in some real effort for their new coach to gain his trust for ice time etc. So pumped to see changes, hope we take our time and get a good person in as the new full time GM!

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm as happy that the clowns are gone as anyone, but do we really have to crap the fans that were trying to remain optimistic during Benning and Green's tenure? Seems like pretty crappy fan etiquette to me. I'd like to think we're better than that.

This group hasn’t proven to be better than anything.  Hahahahah

Unless you are talking about starting fires and flipping cars.    Then we are better than them all!

11 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

What this is telling me is that JB had also been fired but they are just placing someone in the organization. As interim GM as they should have done weeks ago while they continue their due diligence in hiring the next guy. 

That is why Boudreau is more or less an owner hire as oppose to management as it is a stopgap measure since you know, we don't really have a management anymore. 

But we will see.

You called it 

3 hours ago, AC30 said:

Is King still our flaccid PP coach?

Boudreau coached the PP in Minnesota.  He liked having 2 units and even claimed that staying more than 1 minute on the ice is selfish.  In Minnesota he had the Staal and Koivu units and would equally start either.   

He actually talks in this podcast in detail about his powerplay philosophy and how he likes to set up based on the type of personnel available.  He also reminisces about his PP in Washington.  It's quite a detailed and technical discussion.

At the very start at the podcast:

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not sure about, his record cause a quick interweb church it doesn't match your claim - care to elaborate (?); but when you compare it to Green, it doesn't even come close.  My only concern, with Boudreau, is his playoff record cause that seems to be his greatest failure and main reasons for being fired.

Anyways, if he can make this roster a playoff team - then with Demko, the Canucks will still have a chance to compete.

I think he meant the most winnest active nhl coach with less than 1000 games coached. 

https://records.nhl.com/records/coach-records

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Post-season record is a concern, but for the rest?  

If all goes according to plan, he’s the perfect guy for the job.  We need a guy who can take an underachieving yet talented group and put them over the hump. (at least so far as becoming a playoff team)

Some leg work to do to reshuffle the D as well..  but I’m really hoping his track record continues and saves this group from never achieving its potential.  He’s also 66 - not sure how many years he has left behind the bench anyways - I’m totally fine if he’s short term and we’re kind of lucky a guy of his pedigree was available mid season. 

Otherwise:

Its-A-Magical-World.jpg

regards,  G.

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

His playoff record doesn't bother me, playoffs are a weird beast and people used to say similar things about Trotz before he won with Washington. Get to the dance at all is an achievement, and you can't win it all without a ticket to the dance. Some of the best coaches never win a championship, sports be like that. 

We're not contenders, we shouldn't have those expectations. Getting back to the playoffs regularly should be our goal first, contending just isn't realistic at this junction. 

As for your second bit, the answer's probably a bit of both. Has he benefitted from talented rosters? Of course he probably has, but he was also able to get those rosters to perform. A symbiotic relationship of sorts, a good coach should look good because his team plays well. But said coach being able to get that out of said team is noteworthy because not every coach can, especially consistently like Boudreau's been able to. 

Coaches all have a shelf life, they know that going in. If he's here for 4-5 years so be it. Time will tell. 

Yup.

Its-A-Magical-World.jpg

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1