The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Here is some of his thinking:

Asked about whether hockey is less offensively inclined:

- Forechecking - fine if the opportunity is there but doesn't like dropping back into the neutral zone

- Why can't you be good offensively and defensively?

- He calls his method pressure defense - get in their face but be supportive, don't get outnumbered and allow odd man rushes (as we know, this has been an issue so I welcome him cleaning this up!)

- Watches and teams'll dump it in then go for a change then they all sit in the neutral zone in the 1-3-1 and wait for the other team to come in and dump it in and they won't forecheck because they're ready to go to a 1-3-1 in the neutral zone and that becomes fairly boring

Etc..... (again, that interview a few weeks ago is a good bit of insight into what we can expect)

Just what the doctor ordered!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, viking mama said:

Yah, the only thing about Boudreau is his age.

How’s his mental sharpness & overall health been doing? The rigours of travelling with a team that logs the most air miles of practically any other in the NHL is no small thing. The Canadian markets also have non-stop media & fan requirements, a scrutiny which may not provide for many lazy or snoozy days off, I would presume. That’s more stress.

This specific gig may not be suitable for him at this particular stage of life, as we are all about to find out - together. 

Are you freaking kidding me? 66 is not old old. I've seen quite a few elderly people in their 90s that are as sharp minded as ever. (And I'm not talking about lowered expectations due to their age)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt now that Baumgartner is gone and Boudreau at least had experience with him.  Clean slate for everyone in my books.

I am totally refreshed now that those two ppl are gone as well. Nothing against Baumgartner as a person; seems like a really nice guy, but his credentials shouldn't make him an NHL coach (yet).

Of those out there, Boudreau is the right man for the job. Big, jolly, well-respected name around the league who has always been a winner. Sure, he hasn't been able to get it done in the playoffs but we're well off that, we need a proven NHL winner who can play good defensive structures and get the best out of our offensive stars and Boudreau has done that in Washington.

This season is basically lost anyway, we'd need to basically go on a 10 game winning streak to even be close to considering playoff hockey but you never know, I just hope we can play competitive hockey and play 0.600-0.750 hockey from here on in. We're playing for pride and a tiny chance of making the playoffs if one of the top-3 in our division falter, but really we just need to get some wins and create a sort of identity to carry into next season.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Can't wait to see  what Bruce does with this crew! 

And seriously people are actually saying things like 'oh people lost there jobs....' 

These guys are now being paid millions to not have to work next year,,,,boo &^@#ing hoo. Benning and Green can retire tomorrow....Baumer...tough luck you were terrible at your job. Good luck....im sure your house is paid off.....

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Can't wait to see  what Bruce does with this crew! 

And seriously people are actually saying things like 'oh people lost there jobs....' 

These guys are now being paid millions to not have to work next year,,,,boo &^@#ing hoo. Benning and Green can retire tomorrow....Baumer...tough luck you were terrible at your job. Good luck....im sure your house is paid off.....

Well no matter your income bracket it is still unfortunate and nobody likes to see people lose their jobs. Can only be 32 NHL Head Coaches and General Managers right, having that job and now without can't be a great feeling.

It doesn't matter if they have their house(s) paid off or are in debt as many people still outspend and their debt is relative to their income no matter the level.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

This is a great interview...gives some insight as to what we can look forward to.

Thanks for sharing, just had a listen. Very insightful and I really like this hire. BB is as knowledgable and experienced as they come. EXACTLY what we need!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Well no matter your income bracket it is still unfortunate and nobody likes to see people lose their jobs. Can only be 32 NHL Head Coaches and General Managers right, having that job and now without can't be a great feeling.

It doesn't matter if they have their house(s) paid off or are in debt as many people still outspend and their debt is relative to their income no matter the level.

It actually DOES matter if a millionaire like green loses his job versus some single mother working for minimum wage.  Come on....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don’t think Horvat gets how gravity works, or the weight of the situation, and how now.. the pressure is clearly on the players, and him as a leader…

This is Bo’s quote from today : “ "I think our team needed a spark ... but at the same time, we have to go out there and prove it now."

A spark?!? lol 

Just now, Canuck Luck said:

It actually DOES matter if a millionaire like green loses his job versus some single mother working for minimum wage.  Come on....

No the post I was responding to was  " These guys are now being paid millions to not have to work next year,,,,boo &^@#ing hoo. Benning and Green can retire tomorrow....Baumer...tough luck you were terrible at your job. Good luck....im sure your house is paid off..... " 

That response was disregarding the person and their career or livelihood because they were well paid, which is such a lame argument wreaking of envy. I was suggesting it still matters to those who lost their jobs, whether they are fortunate to be in such a position of good financial income or not and again it can be very relative in terms of income vs expenses in their lives.

That has nothing to do with a single mom losing her job trying to feed three children, that also would very much matter to the person involved. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

However, different people will get jobs as a result, while those who are leaving will find jobs they are better suited for.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

No the post I was responding to was  " These guys are now being paid millions to not have to work next year,,,,boo &^@#ing hoo. Benning and Green can retire tomorrow....Baumer...tough luck you were terrible at your job. Good luck....im sure your house is paid off..... " 

That response was disregarding the person and their career or livelihood because they were well paid, which is such a lame argument wreaking of envy. I was suggesting it still matters to those who lost their jobs, whether they are fortunate to be in such a position of good financial income or not and again it can be very relative in terms of income vs expenses in their lives.

That has nothing to do with a single mom losing her job trying to feed three children, that also would very much matter to the person involved. 

I've met both and they were both super nice and I do wish them the best. If these guys made what they made and are in debt at this point that is on them and frankly foolish. Green will get a job coaching somewhere and Benning at worst can scout. Both worked and deserved to be where they are/were but to feel any sort of bad 'people lost their jobs'  feelings. No. 

Hell if they are sound fiscally I bet they feel relief today, This season must have taken its toll and they deserved better than how this played out.

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Here is some of his thinking:

Asked about whether hockey is less offensively inclined:

- Forechecking - fine if the opportunity is there but doesn't like dropping back into the neutral zone

- Why can't you be good offensively and defensively?

- He calls his method pressure defense - get in their face but be supportive, don't get outnumbered and allow odd man rushes (as we know, this has been an issue so I welcome him cleaning this up!)

- Watches and teams'll dump it in then go for a change then they all sit in the neutral zone in the 1-3-1 and wait for the other team to come in and dump it in and they won't forecheck because they're ready to go to a 1-3-1 in the neutral zone and that becomes fairly boring

Etc..... (again, that interview a few weeks ago is a good bit of insight into what we can expect)

I personally think, part of the failing of Green here was too much emphasis on defensive zone. I don't think our blueline is currently built to do a shutdown style without changing more of the people back there.

I think we are built for offense (kind of funny that we can't score goals), and that we should be leaning for now at least, to a more run and gun style of play. We're going to get caught at times, but it will be a much more fun style of play.

I'm sorry to see Green go, but we REALLY needed to change things up and take a different approach.

Looking forward to see how they look tonight and if it starts to loosen Pettersson up a bit. Have wondered if he was feeling so much pressure, knowing that Green and Benning's jobs were on the line, that he has been overthinking things and not just getting his offense going. 

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I've met both and they were both super nice and I do wish them the best. If these guys made what they made and are in debt at this point that is on them and frankly foolish. Green will get a job coaching somewhere and Benning at worst can scout. Both worked and deserved to be where they are/were but to feel any sort of bad 'people lost their jobs'  feelings. No. 

Hell if they are sound fiscally I bet they feel relief today, This season must have taken its toll and they deserved better than how this played out.

After the sting I bet its a nice relief off their shoulders to a degree to be out of this fish bowl.

• Like 1