The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

35 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Oiler lost

They’re going down as fast as the Canucks are going up.

Hottest teams:
Carolina - 47pts - 8-2-0 in last 10

Nashville - 44pts - 8-1-1

Pittsburgh - 43pts - 9-1-0

Colorado - 40pts - 8-1-1

Canucks - 35pts - 8-1-1

Coldest teams:

Edmonton 38pts - 2-6-2

Buffalo 26pts - 2-5-3

Seattle 24pts - 2-6-2

Montreal 18pts - 1-7-2

Arizona 15pts - 2-71

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 5:21 PM, WHL rocks said:

Decades of watching hockey and I never knew there was a coaching staff of the month award. Lol..

Just knew about the Jack Adams award for coach of the year.

I never knew about the GM of the year award until Mike Gillis won it either

Its a bit like when you watch the Grammies

and during the ads they hand out awards for "best score for an animate short" etc

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, lmm said:

I never knew about the GM of the year award until Mike Gillis won it either

Its a bit like when you watch the Grammies

and during the ads they hand out awards for "best score for an animate short" etc

Lol I don't watch the Grammies,  have absolutely no idea what an animate short is.. or even what it could possibly be..

But I get your point..

Not sure nhl needs a coaching staff of the month award.. unnecessary imo.

Jack Adams is good. 

• Huggy Bear 1

47 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol I don't watch the Grammies,  have absolutely no idea what an animate short is.. or even what it could possibly be..

But I get your point..

Not sure nhl needs a coaching staff of the month award.. unnecessary imo.

Jack Adams is good. 

tbh I don't watch either, but I do know these things exist

I never thought that rock and roll needed a hall of fame either

following up on rock and roll

Van Morrison Where Have All The Rebels Gone - Bing video

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 1

Boudreau has a mobile D on his wish list:  "Look at all the good teams in the NHL - take the top 10 - their defense are all mobile and they can rack up points and create offense from the defense. Of course we would like more of that. But sometimes we just don't have the personnel for that kind of play. So when you don't do that, you better shut other teams down. When you're looking at things you'd like, another mobile, puck moving always comes to the top of my list."

3 hours ago, mll said:

Boudreau has a mobile D on his wish list:  "Look at all the good teams in the NHL - take the top 10 - their defense are all mobile and they can rack up points and create offense from the defense. Of course we would like more of that. But sometimes we just don't have the personnel for that kind of play. So when you don't do that, you better shut other teams down. When you're looking at things you'd like, another mobile, puck moving always comes to the top of my list."

This is were I don't mind if Canucks traded Myers and Boeser for someone like John Klingberg. That would make the Canucks top 3 D more mobile since Myers is kind of slow and it clears cap space where we can get another top 4 D that is cheap in the off-season.

Hughes-Klingberg

OEL-Larsson

That is what I have in mind in terms or retooling the D. Keep Poolman and bring up Rathbone and I think it will make us more mobile. 

8 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

This is were I don't mind if Canucks traded Myers and Boeser for someone like John Klingberg. That would make the Canucks top 3 D more mobile since Myers is kind of slow and it clears cap space where we can get another top 4 D that is cheap in the off-season.

Hughes-Klingberg

OEL-Larsson

That is what I have in mind in terms or retooling the D. Keep Poolman and bring up Rathbone and I think it will make us more mobile. 

But then today in the Province, this is what Luke Schenn said about Tampa Bay's key to success in winning their recent Stanley Cups:

“The biggest thing they changed in order to win a championship — after losing in the first round — is that they were relying a lot more on skill. They have a big, strong and heavy D-core and that’s what they pride themselves on — being good in the corners and in front.”

This looks like quite a different approach to constructing a D-core than what Boudreau is talking about today..........so who's approach is right???:unsure:

• Thanks 3

And if we get rid of Myers, who is going to stand up to the heavies, when they start pounding our defenders? 
They need a mix of both. Green also wanted an ectra puck moving dman and used Rathbone in that position. It was a disaster... 

d has been a lot better since they started playing dmen who can actually defend. 
its not just about scoring goals...

If Petey could find the trigger again, we'd been in a far better place now. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Boudreau was on Sekeres&Price.  They summarised what they discussed - was a wall of text and added a few breaks but their words from the link to the apple podcast.  Starts at the 15min mark.  

---

Vancouver Canucks head coach, Bruce Boudreau joined Matt and Blake for the first time. Says that any coach when they lose is not happy. No matter how well you play, you want to win as often as you can. Thought they were only ok in FLA despite the layoff. It’s pretty good to keep them to 21 shots but you still want to win.

Talked about his apporach and how his mood affects the team. When they are winning, you have to push the team harder or they get complaicent. When you are losing you have to have more of a parental approach. Today was an all positive day because they are doing a lot of things right.

Talked about going into Carolina, against a top team, they are in for their best game after CAR got spanked by CBJ. Talked about players that have suprised him. Mentioned Demko. Knew he was a good goalie but he was so good when he first got here. QH43 is a better player than he was from a distance. JT Miller is a really competetive, good hockey player. A lot of them came as advertised.

Talked about wanting Tyler Myers to shoot more. Wants OEL to be the OEL of 4 years ago in ARI. Talked about some of his high-scoring d-men that he has had before that allows for a high tempo game. So far as not sacrificing the defensive game.

Talked about moving Petey to the wing. Had some good passes, one to Horvat and another to Garland. Was in on 8 offensive chances yesterday so it sort of helped him. Gotta go through the bad to get to the good. When he starts scoring, hopefully from that LW position, he will start scoring that pace Canucks fans are accustomed to.

Drives him crazy that people would start to write off this season with so many games left. You don’t need a 20 game win streak but if they get through this road trip with a couple wins they will be right there with everyone else.

Talked about Jaro Halak and his utilization. Says he doesn’t care about his contract situation and that Jim hasn’t managed any of that. Talked about Ovi and how to defend him. Says that you have to take him for dinner and leave him there. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

But then today in the Province, this is what Luke Schenn said about Tampa Bay's key to success in winning their recent Stanley Cups:

“The biggest thing they changed in order to win a championship — after losing in the first round — is that they were relying a lot more on skill. They have a big, strong and heavy D-core and that’s what they pride themselves on — being good in the corners and in front.”

This looks like quite a different approach to constructing a D-core than what Boudreau is talking about today..........so who's approach is right???:unsure:

Both.  Boudreau gives Tampa as example.

He was on Sekeres&Price today and expanded on it.   He wants the Ds to jump into the play, Myers to shoot more and OEL to be more like he was 4 years ago in Arizona. 

Says he has history with teams of the defence being very mobile, aggressive and offensively gifted a lot of them.  Lists Green, Fowler in Anaheim and Spurgeon, Dumba, Suter and such in Minnesota.  He wants to play that up tempo game and says Tampa is a perfect example of how that goes.  Says it's not like he wants them to sacrifice their defensive game for their offensive game but believes they can do both and be more aggressive offensively.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1