The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Also, right or wrong he signs his coach for 2 more years, claiming it a high priority - While signing his 2 stars last and have them arrive late

I thought he tried to build his team and spent his cap on the 4th line, instead of the Goalie out like most successful teams

It started with LE , then Gagner sent to the farm at 6.3 million owing

There were too many miscues (without rehashing them all)

It was the wrong time to overpay for Beagle and Rousell (and even now) as he got rid of them

His timing seemed to be off and always paid more than other teams were willing to pay for most of his signings and was stuck with them

Then he signs Virtanen and he is gone

With all these signings and buyouts and desperation summer signings i think the owner finally saw that the plan was day to day and not focused for the future and Jim himself ran out of time

Hopefully we will never hire someone from the team that we meet in the Stanley Cup Finals again

We took Keenan of the Rangers thinking he'd take us to the top as well

Then Benning of the Bruins

I always got the feeling that it was the agents that were playing hardball by what was coming out of media. The clown Dahli saying just pay the stars and Drance give them what they deserve. i think Benning stood his ground and refused to pay them through the roof. The agent then had to circle back when the fans started to turn on the players.

2 hours ago, LesPaul81 said:

Benning wasn't the issue.  But I guess hanging on to that coaching staff was.  Thanks JB for making trades that interested the fan base.  Kept us excited.  

How can you say this with a straight face when Benning has been the “leader” of the organization for the past 8 years?

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

I always got the feeling that it was the agents that were playing hardball by what was coming out of media. The clown Dahli saying just pay the stars and Drance give them what they deserve. i think Benning stood his ground and refused to pay them through the roof. The agent then had to circle back when the fans started to turn on the players.

That could be

Imagine if that is what they asked for at the beginning and ended up getting

44 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Personally I think more than a top 4 D need to be done. Roster has a lot of holes.

Boeser isn't exactly lighting the lamp and has a 7.5M qualifying offer. You'd at best get a similar player in return(struggling top 4 D?) if you're trying for a 1 for 1 like that. Who makes that trade though? another struggling team? It's gonna be hard to find a good Boeser trade.

Miller/Horvat are the ones netting you a small fortune, especially Miller. Teams looking for that playoff push would be looking to sell the farm for Miller/Horvat though since they don't want to mess with their roster.

If you put Garland up on the market too he'd probably garner a lot as well since he's on a nice contract but you'd have to decide whether or not he's worth keeping around throughout the rebuild since he's signed long-term.

We'll see. Still have to see how we play first.

We've def got holes, and there's no way we'll be able to address them all in one go. With Boeser it's tough, because he absolutely could bounce back and we'd be selling low. Hopefully Boudreau can get him going again. 

I've said it multiple times, but I'd prioritize Horvat. He's irreplaceable for this team imo, we simply don't have any centers capable of doing what he does for us at the moment. Miller's the guy I'd be willing to move. 

I think Garland's young enough that he's probably worth more to us on our roster than anything we'd get in return. He's part of why I'd be willing to move Miller tbh. He doesn't quit, and he's productive. Show up every night, you need guys like that in your top six. 

But yeah, I'd let em play the string out and re-asses closer to the trade deadline. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

That could be

Imagine if that is what they asked for at the beginning and ended up getting

Beagle got paid a million too much according to some fans and look at the hate he was given despite doing a great job. 

The toxic venom that Petey would be getting right now if he asked and got 9 mil + would be through the roof. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

Beagle got paid a million too much according to some fans and look at the hate he was given despite doing a great job. 

The toxic venom that Petey would be getting right now if he asked and got 9 mil + would be through the roof. 

Be interesting what he was asking for originally (especially after holding out and his production and effort since)

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What if Smyl just went god mode on GMing and built this team into a contender while no one was looking. :lol:

Is there a reason for why he’s never gotten a GM gig before? 

Like this would be the closest he’s gotten to a GM position in the league, no? 

Benning would still have been GM if he had made the smart decision last spring and fired Green instead of extending him.

Plus of course, two years ago he should have re-signed Tanev and traded Markstrom early for a pick and a prospect instead of letting him go for nothing.  And last year should have looked at re-signing Edler for a year.

Benning did some good things... I still think his picks of Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser and trades for Miller were good choices.

But he wasted huge amounts of CAP and picks on mediocre pickups.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Benning would still have been GM if he had made the smart decision last spring and fired Green instead of extending him.

Plus of course, two years ago he should have re-signed Tanev and traded Markstrom early for a pick and a prospect instead of letting him go for nothing.  And last year should have looked at re-signing Edler for a year.

Benning did some good things... I still think his picks of Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser and trades for Miller were good choices.

But he wasted huge amounts of CAP and picks on mediocre pickups.

The paitience he had with LE went on too long,. That crippled us.

But as I mentioned earlier..  OEL and Garland traded for a garbage truck ..

I still can’t believe that one.