The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I was on 650am calling for the firing of TG and hiring of  BB about a month ago. It’s a shame it didn’t happen sooner.  We would have had a legitimate shot at the playoffs this year. As unlikely it would be, I suppose there is always the one in a St Louis chance we can still do it….

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I was on 650am calling for the firing of TG and hiring of  BB about a month ago. It’s a shame it didn’t happen sooner.  We would have had a legitimate shot at the playoffs this year. As unlikely it would be, I suppose there is always the one in a St Louis chance we can still do it….

It’s not out of the realm of possibility, but they’d have to go on one heck of a tear. 

10 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Still have no idea how we lost those 2.  Wouldve loved to see mack in Boudreaus system

They were claimed on waivers

10 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Oh ya thants another reminder… Benning basically lost Macewen and Gadjovich. For Chaisson (a player even Edmonton didn’t want) :sick:

Both those guys were excellent playoff depth players. Big fast and hardworking… 

Fast is not a word that can be used to describe Gadjovich, and Zack wasn't a speed demon either.

download.jpg

Edited by gurn
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I hope the "meddling" stuff is put to rest as well. Doubt it, but it should be. 

I really hope Aquilini’s big honest assessment moment of management and coaching included a self reflection on why he should let hockey people make the hockey decisions free of interference that rises to the level of meddling. 

26 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

@JM_ we would probably both do best to recognize @wallstreetamigo’s superior intuition and intricate knowledge of the human  psyche. It is very clear that, and I can’t believe we missed this, any action that does not align with those that @wallstreetamigoholds as laudable must stem from some sort of dubious motivation. Therefor, we should concede that bag skates can only ever stem from a place of insecurity and could never have any other root explanation. 

Finally one of the common folk recognizes my brilliance. 

My questions for those who think bag skates are a team building exercise are these:

1. Have you ever had to do one yourself? How did you feel about it if you did? 

I am old enough to remember coaches who bag skated us for an hour straight. I even remember ones who would make us undo our skates and skate like that. Not once did it make us feel like we were persevering together. It felt like our coach had no other tools in his toolbox to teach us with. 

2. Do you coach hockey now? Do you bag skate your players as motivation?

I coach and have never bag skated my groups ever. Because of reason 1 above. But also because yes I do understand the human psyche better than you might think and it doesn’t motivate. It teaches them that skating hard is a punishment. Why would you want something you expect them to do every shift be associated in their minds as a punishment?

Weak insecure old school coaches use bag skates. Real coaches teach and use communication to get the message across.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Haha 1

Great win, and it felt like they would win even before the game started. They looked faster, more aggressive. Just seeing Boudreau behind the bench gave the team a different look. I don't know, more confident?

One guy, though, didn't have a very good game. Hoglander.  He tried too many fancy things, risky plays and lost the puck often. He has skill and gritty tenacity, but made several mistakes. I wonder how Boudreau will handle Hogz after seeing him coaching his first game.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I still want to know, what was Green's system? Because after seeing how the team played last night, it looks like Green didn't have a system. 

His whole coaching philosophy was playing to not lose instead of pushing to win, that’s why 5on5 in the defensive zone it always looked like a penalty kill, sit back and wait for the game to come to you instead of taking it to the other team. It never made sense to me why he had them playing like this, especially this year when he was given an upgraded team with a lot more offensive skill

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I hope the "meddling" stuff is put to rest as well. Doubt it, but it should be. 

Yeah even having Francesco at 15:45 of the press conference come out and draw a very clear line between owner, manager, coach, player and that he supports his managers but THEY make the decisions was a nice but really unneeded thing for the owner to say. I have said it before the owner can do whatever they want, in Vancouver's case it is not the owner meddling and wreaking havoc on an otherwise structured front office. Further we may be surprised if we read up on the 31 other owners and find out how lucky Vancouver fans really are.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Yeah even having Francesco at 15:45 of the press conference come out and draw a very clear line between owner, manager, coach, player and that he supports his managers but THEY make the decisions was a nice but really unneeded thing for the owner to say. I have said it before the owner can do whatever they want, in Vancouver's case it is not the owner meddling and wreaking havoc on an otherwise structured front office. Further we may be surprised if we read up on the 31 other owners and find out how lucky Vancouver fans really are.

also when he does have to step in good things often happen. That deal of Boudreau's is one heck of a bargain, with year 2 as an option. Literally no risk. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I really hope Aquilini’s big honest assessment moment of management and coaching included a self reflection on why he should let hockey people make the hockey decisions free of interference that rises to the level of meddling. 

There is no self reflection needed by the team owner, he simply cleared the air about people knowing and staying within the lines of their roles. As owner he can and should be able 100% to have a listen, a say, and make a call if needed. It's his team. I like that he acknowledges he and his family are stewards of the club for the Province and city. But again he can be a part of the process behind closed doors and the meddling is something very much blown out of proportion and media manufactured as well, its a great story to run with. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Things are easy and clear when you have NO PRESSURE. When you are the owner of a Canadian hockey team your pressure is huge. Decisions are also informed by committees following a process which take time. 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

also when he does have to step in good things often happen. That deal of Boudreau's is one heck of a bargain, with year 2 as an option. Literally no risk. 

and if we want to go along with the narrative that much meddling occurred earlier on with the team, well the first half dozen seasons were the most successful in the franchise with multiple Presidents Trophies, division titles, conference championship and a cup appearance.

• Vintage 3

I loved how our entire team played yesterday but especially our defense.

I hope people here can understand how crucial it is to have heavy defensman.  Schenn, Hamonic, Myers and even Poolman were really noticeable in protecting the zone and even jumping up.   Reminded me a little of the Blues defense when they won the cup. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This looks so similar to what we are hearing and seeing with Boudreau taking over as coach. This was the season Sutter took over as head coach with the Kings really struggling in December (losing 6 of 8 and 5 in a row) and he managed to get them into the playoffs as the 8th seed. End result was a Stanley Cup victory.....is there still hope?

Under Sutter, the Kings play an energetic style that emphasizes forechecking and immediate, continuous pressure.

“We’re not sitting back as much,” Brown said. “It’s nice to be aggressive and know that you’ve got backup, as opposed to sitting in and letting the game come to you.”

Opponents have noticed.

“They don’t stop coming,” Blues center David Backes said after a 5-2 defeat in the second round.

“Their top players play like third- or fourth-line players,” Coyotes goalie Mike Smith said after Tuesday night’s 4-0 loss.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

There is no self reflection needed by the team owner, he simply cleared the air about people knowing and staying within the lines of their roles. As owner he can and should be able 100% to have a listen, a say, and make a call if needed. It's his team. I like that he acknowledges he and his family are stewards of the club for the Province and city. But again he can be a part of the process behind closed doors and the meddling is something very much blown out of proportion and media manufactured as well, its a great story to run with. 

There is a difference between having ultimate decision making control/being involved and meddling though.

The meddling thing is not media driven or made up. It’s well known in the hockey community that Aquilini has directly been responsible for some pretty bad hockey ops decisions by involving himself too much against the input of his management group. 

Its his right as he owns the team. Whether or not it’s helpful is far more debatable though. 

• Cheers 1