The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I do find it amusing that the same HF board folk that were slobbering all over Gillis possibly returning and arguing with anyone that dared mention that Gillis inherited his core are now using the same argument to discredit Rutherford.

Doesn't that also mean HF is hence giving credit to Benning for building it...?:ph34r:

• Haha 1

I'm not really super keen on JR. Buuuuuuut I guess it makes sense. There really isn't anyone out there with more experience and experience is what we lack most. If the Sedins are truly being groomed there is a lot to be learned from the ol codger. 

Edited by hammertime

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

In my opinion, I would rather have Miller than Bo, Brock or Petey (if there is a future cap issue). Miller has been the hardest working and most invested Canuck from the moment he landed here. He has a very high skill level and one of the rare ones to have a physical edge. 8M is a bit ridiculous but if we could keep him for 6-7ish, I’m good with that. 

I love Miller's heart on his sleave, never quit and clutch play.

But he's also the oldest, we're unlikely to retain him after this contract and that play style also has a lot of give and take (like last night when he took that bad penalty that led to the Bruins tying it). He'd also offer a pretty tidy trade return.

We need more guys like him, it just might not be him.

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I'm not really super keen on it JR. Buuuuuuut I guess it makes sense. There really isn't anyone out there with more experience and experience is what we lack most. If the Sedins are truly being groomed there is a lot to be learned from the ol codger. 

How I feel about it is really going to be dependant on who he hires as GM. If it's someone like Botterill, I'll be pretty miffed. If it's McFarland, I'll be pretty stoked.

On paper it makes sense to have one of the "old boys" locked in as president. But yeah, I'm mostly in "wait and see" mode.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I don’t mind Jim Rutherford being President but am going to be upset if he’s our next long term GM as well.  

ps - edit - looks like he will only be President and *interim* GM.  I have no problem with that at all.  I’m still holding out hope for Colorado’s Chris MacFarland.

I want Lombardi though, he is experienced and won cups. Between Rutherford and Lombardi, they would have 5 cups combined, the winningest and most accomplished front office and the winningest coach. EXPERIENCE is the keyword guys, it started with Lames hiring D. Sutter.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Rutherford is great and I disagree, we need an experienced GM. No more newbies, am tired of the experiments and we have done that this last decade and half from Nonis to Gillis to Benning. Bring someone that has won a cup for a change.

I can agree with this. 

There are some that are suggesting that since we have guys like Boudreau and Rutherford, we should get a younger GM.

While I also do understand this POV, and a guy like Rutherford could mentor a young GM, we'd still be in the same spot with another GM learning on the fly. 

That being said, I don't know what experienced and winning GM's would even be available/want to come to Vancouver?

If it truly needs to be a new GM, I wouldn't mind MacFarland of Colorado or Tulsky from Carolina, both dynamic teams.

I for one would love to see Chris Pronger come in as GM with Luongo as AGM. 
Vice versa as well. Two well respected individuals who can build a culture like Toronto etc. With Pronger/Luongo/Sedins that office would be jammed with Hockey experience.

Edited by KyGuy123

8 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Even most supporters of Rutherford are supporting him *only if" he's not the GM 

He is the INTERIM gm. He doesn’t want to be a GM anymore and said after leaving Pittsburgh that he wanted a PoHO or similar role, not a GM one. 

You are so worked up about him. He has been here 5 minutes. Maybe give him a chance to do something you hate before having a meltdown?

We know you love Benning. But he is gone. And “most here” feel good riddance. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

I want Lombardi though, he is experienced and won cups. Between Rutherford and Lombardi, they would have 5 cups combined, the winningest and most accomplished front office and the winningest coach. EXPERIENCE is the keyword guys, it started with Lames hiring D. Sutter.

I think Lombardi is a good choice too however, there has already been rumors that he doesn't want to come to Canada.

Maybe the clout/credibility of Rutherford could change his mind?

Just now, hammertime said:

I'm not really super keen on it JR. Buuuuuuut I guess it makes sense. There really isn't anyone out there with more experience and experience is what we lack most. If the Sedins are truly being groomed there is a lot to be learned from the ol codger. 

Quite apart from experience, Jim Rutherford has been around for a long time and is likely very well connected throughout the hockey community, including with more of the "establishment".  Assuming the Sedins are in line to take on management of the Canucks in the future, then gaining those connections and learning from Rutherford's experience is invaluable.

Gillis managed to achieve an impressive degree of success for the Canucks during his tenure but he also always struck me as a guy who was fighting the establishment.  That's not always bad, and in Gillis' case I think it helped him be quite innovative, but Gillis seemed to rub a lot of other managers the wrong way during his time. 

Linden had been involved for many years with the NHLPA and was a successful businessman, but beyond that, he did not seem to have anywhere near the same kind of connections that someone like Rutherford would have.  Benning could possibly be said to more from the "old boys club" but certainly much less so than Rutherford.

I'm not saying that hiring Rutherford is going to produce immediate success for the Canucks in the league, but perhaps it might add a new dynamic to the relationship that Canucks management has with the management groups of other teams.

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

He is the INTERIM gm. He doesn’t want to be a GM anymore and said after leaving Pittsburgh that he wanted a PoHO or similar role, not a GM one. 

You are so worked up about him. He has been here 5 minutes. Maybe give him a chance to do something you hate before having a meltdown?

We know you love Benning. But he is gone. And “most here” feel good riddance. 

My gosh you'd think the world was falling apart if you saw that whole THREAD made to bash Rutherford before he even stepped foot here.

1 minute ago, KyGuy123 said:

I for one would love to see Chris Pronger come in as GM with Luongo as AGM. 
Vice versa as well. Two well respected individuals who can build a culture like Toronto etc. 

I dont like that because its just going back to new GM learning on the fly. Lombardi is the one I want and hope Rutherford gets him.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Even most supporters of Rutherford are supporting him *only if" he's not the GM 

I would take him as GM over Botterill or Mellanby.

I just think the game has probably passed him by at the GM level. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good GM in his time. We just need someone younger with more energy and an eye for the modern game.

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

How I feel about it is really going to be dependant on who he hires as GM. If it's someone like Botterill, I'll be pretty miffed. If it's McFarland, I'll be pretty stoked.

On paper it makes sense to have one of the "old boys" locked in as president. But yeah, I'm mostly in "wait and see" mode.

MacFarland or Tulsky for me. Both are pretty promising AGMs that can transition well into GMs imo

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Hearing alot of rumblings from a few people that its going to be Jason Botterill as the GM.   He has a fair amount of history with Rutherford, so there may be so fire to go along with the smoke.

Really hoping this is just smoke being blown be people that are aware of the history between the two and nothing more.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would take him as GM over Botterill or Mellanby.

I just think the game has probably passed him by at the GM level. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a good GM in his time. We just need someone younger with more energy and an eye for the modern game.

Didnt he win a cup with Pens in 2016 and 2017? I mean its not that long lol