The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 16, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

He seems to be a guy who knows all the answers and never admits his mistakes. It always had excuses: "Bounces did not go our way, we would win 9 times out of 10, it's a good team out there, etc". 

I wonder how guys like OJ, JV could develop under a different coach.

Are we talking Fed employees again or Green? :P

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I agree Dahlen was let go too easily...  but there is a question there.

Dahlen is really a top 6 player... and the Canucks don't even have room in the top 9.  He is not good defensively so wouldn't work on the 4th line.

But he should have been developed better by Green... and traded for a defensive prospect. 

Benning and Green did not make use of a number of players who should have been turned into picks or defensemen.

IMO Dahlen is similar to Sven Baertschi in that he's a top 6 player on a bad team and he's in the AHL on a good one. If SJ had any better top 6 options he wouldn't be in the NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, hammertime said:

IMO Dahlen is similar to Sven Baertschi in that he's a top 6 player on a bad team and he's in the AHL on a good one. If SJ had any better top 6 options he wouldn't be in the NHL.

Baertschi is a great comparison.

Do you think Flames fans are still whining about losing him? 

I don’t know why Canucks fans still care that he’s gone. We have better players than him in our top 9. That’s all that matters.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

But not Dahlen's right? :rolleyes: Someone demanding to play NHL minutes, but not actually demonstrating it for a whole TWO YEARS.

Ah, it's someone else's fault, but Dahlen. That is what I have questioned you about.

Dahlen is a prospect that wasn’t a fit for the Canucks.

He wouldn’t have been in top 6 and he can only ply there in NHL.

So the issue with Dahlen or Palmu if you like, is always how Benning handles young prospects. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Dahlen is a prospect that wasn’t a fit for the Canucks.

He wouldn’t have been in top 6 and he can only ply there in NHL.

So the issue with Dahlen or Palmu if you like, is always how Benning handles young prospects. 

But never Dahlen's fault. Got it.

Great game!  What a turn around this team has had.  We were all hoping for it but never really thought 6-0 would be possible.  This team looks completely different.

Brock looks to be back in form with 2 snipes.  Liking that "heavy" line and is why I pined for Bo and Boes to be on the same line.  Boeser needs line mates to create room for him to get his shot off and now he has that plus a set up/trigger man in Miller.

Garland and Podz continue to drag Petey out of his slump.  Petey was a bit less engaged this game than last but you can tell his confidence is growing and starting to get back to where it was.  Petey has also taken tons of draws since BB came on.  Last night he was the best C in the dot, last game he was the worst.  Love seeing his growth and the trust BB has given him on working his craft, something Green seemed to have already made his mind up on.

Horvat continues his great play.  Can't believe some fans want to trade him or strip him of the C, he's exactly the type of Captain you win with.  Hogs still being his usual self even though he didnt get on the score sheet.  He's reversed the fortunes of that #21 by sheer determination.  Dickinson i've still been meh on, seems to be in the mold of Pearson/Higgins so hopefully that empty net goal really get's him going.

Huggy, Myers and OEL continue to get it done playing huge minutes.  All around 25 minutes and none with a minus rating, just damn good play. 

Juulsen has been a pleasant surprise.  Like last game I thought his 1st period was a bit shaky but he settled down nicely.  He has great vision, a good first pass and loved that play where he pivoted away from one player, stick handled the other and passed it cross ice out of the zone.  He's also been good at defending the blue line, I've seen multiple occasions where he would prevent zone entries by stepping up at the blue line.  Happy he looks to be finding a groove and I hope he can stick with the big club.  He's had some time playing beside everyone since we've played the last 2 games with 5 D.  He could be a core piece of the D should he rekindle his game and get it to a point where he can play in the top 4 consistently.

Now let's beat those bum Leaf's and make it 7 in a row! :towel:

• Vintage 1

One thing I have noticed is Brock's goal scoring is more like his first couple years of goal scoring compared to when he was on Petey's line which were more closer to the net (rebounds, tip-ins etc).  I like this version more as it is more lethal and his confidence in his shot is what has really made him who he is throughout his career.  

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

It's hard to say.  Dahlen started the season at a tremendous pace; especially for an NHL rookie, but his #s have dropped a little in the past several games.  He currently has 14 points in 26 games.  Whether he can maintain the required offence at the pace and # of games in the NHL, remains to be seen.

It's interesting that you mention Sven.  His best year was with the Canucks 35pts in 68 games, he was 23yrs old.

Dahlen prorated to 71 games gets 38pts at the same age.

Seems it could go either way for JD.