The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] JT Miller, is he tradeable?

HKSR

So clearly a hot topic right now is what to do with Miller. 

I'm in the boat that we keep him if his salary demands are no greater than $8.5M AAV.  I can show that mathematically, we have the cap for this moving into the next 4 years.

Others are saying to trade him.  For these folks, I'm really curious what trade partners you can find that have the kind of packages you would need such that Rutherford and company wouldn't end up with a loss in the loss column for the trade.

JT Miller is currently 12th overall in NHL scoring.  Is a 1C 'power forward', plays on PP and PK, is defensively sound, strong on the puck, has a great shot but is also a fantastic playmaker, plays with grit and sandpaper, good on the faceoff dot, is a natural born leader, and has the swagger that you would want in playoff warrior.  Really one of the most complete forwards we have ever had in Canucks colours. 

• Cheers 2

I'm leaning more and more towards no. That said, I'm not sure how much he'd cost to re-sign after next year. At the very least, I think we need to keep him until the trade deadline of next year, but if we can, I think I wouldn't mind a nice contract extension so long as it's not too over the top.]

The trick is being wary of giving an 8-year deal with big money to a guy who will be 30 years old at the expiry of his current deal.

All that said, I'd always say almost anyone is tradeable for the right price. @King Heffy's value is probably accurate and what I think Rutherford would be looking for. A prospect who looks like a very likely top 4 D or top 6 forward plus another 1st round pick (10-25).

Do we need Miller more than Boeser? thats pretty much what it comes down to. Its not an easy call, +'s and -'s either way.

Miller: C, feisty, leader, timely scoring, tough to play against.

Boeser: natural scorer, getting more physical, younger, high character person and team mate

Honestly right now I don't know which one to trade, if we have to.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

Nice, I was just going to make this thread myself. 

I think you could get a 1st and a high end prospect. So basically two 1sts. Maybe more if there are other pieces from our side involved. Or if we're willing to take a contract to make the trade work.

I don't think a team that's looking to contend is looking to move roster pieces, and the teams that would be interested in acquiring him likely see themselves as having a shot sooner than later. 

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

1st rounder and a high end prospect

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think you could get a 1st and a high end prospect. So basically two 1sts. Maybe more if there are other pieces from our side involved.

I don't think a team that's looking to contend is looking to move roster pieces, and the teams that would be interested in acquiring him likely see themselves as having a shot sooner than later. 

And a lot of cap space saved that can be used towards bolstering the defense and/or etc when we decide we're taking that next step to becoming a long-term playoff team.

Cap space and a stock of good young talent is what you need to reshape the roster. Next two drafts are deep. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

And a lot of cap space saved that can be used towards bolstering the defense and/or etc when we decide we're taking that next step to becoming a long-term playoff team.

Cap space and a stock of good young talent is what you need to reshape the roster. Next two drafts are deep. 

Yup, free cap space in itself has to be looked at as an asset. It allows us to make moves. Moving Miller could free up cap space while netting us positive value, that's no small thing. 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

@HKSR - you're doing it wrong.  You need to rename this thread, "Miller - do we really need him?" and then post it in the Canucks Discussion section of the forum.

:bigblush:

Lol... I thought about it... but I was thinking it'd get locked or moved anyways haha

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

1st rounder and a high end prospect

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm leaning more and more towards no. That said, I'm not sure how much he'd cost to re-sign after next year. At the very least, I think we need to keep him until the trade deadline of next year, but if we can, I think I wouldn't mind a nice contract extension so long as it's not too over the top.]

The trick is being wary of giving an 8-year deal with big money to a guy who will be 30 years old at the expiry of his current deal.

All that said, I'd always say almost anyone is tradeable for the right price. @King Heffy's value is probably accurate and what I think Rutherford would be looking for. A prospect who looks like a very likely top 4 D or top 6 forward plus another 1st round pick (10-25).

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think you could get a 1st and a high end prospect. So basically two 1sts. Maybe more if there are other pieces from our side involved. Or if we're willing to take a contract to make the trade work.

So would you all be happy if you woke up and read this post by Vintage Canuck:

[Trade] JT Miller traded to Nashville for Cody Glass and a 1st Round Pick

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

A 1st is promising, but Glass in particular? No. He's already been moved once by Vegas and I'd straight up prefer a D prospect as opposed to another forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not sure I'd consider Glass a high end prospect. He's played well in the AHL and that's about it right now. Maybe a better wording for me would be a good young player. Say a Hoglander-tier guy.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oddly, no.  Losing Miller would suck

But come Draft Day I'd be pretty darn happy

• RoughGame 1

24 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Do we need Miller more than Boeser? thats pretty much what it comes down to. Its not an easy call, +'s and -'s either way.

Boeser: natural scorer, getting more physical, younger, high character person and team mate

I might trade Boeser as well if he can land a top 4 RD under 25 but that's a whole lot easier said than done.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I might trade Boeser as well if he can land a top 4 RD under 25 but that's a whole lot easier said than done.

I think there would be a long line of GMs wanting Boeser. But how many with spare top 4 RHD? picks and prospects for sure from many teams. 

Edited by JM_

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Any player is 'tradeable' - for the right price. 

What the right price might be is the real question here. 

You can bet there are likely teams interested in some Canucks' assets to some degree or other:

https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-canucks-trade-targets-miller-schenn/

[Trade] JT Miller to NYR for Nils Lundkvist and a 1st Round Pick

or

[Trade] JT Miller to NYR for Zac Jones and a 1st Round Pick

Do either of those do it for any of you?

Edited by HKSR

33 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd add Horvat to that list, since his contract ends at the same time as Miller, and both are top-6 C's (while Bo's the workhorse and captain).
Thankfully I'm not Rutherford, he's got some tough decisions to make (if he's still interim GM by then).

Edited by Phil_314
  • Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Any player is 'tradeable' - for the right price. 

What the right price might be is the real question here. 

You can bet there are likely teams interested in some Canucks' assets to some degree or other:

https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-canucks-trade-targets-miller-schenn/

I think the precedent is in the range of what Kesler/ Richards/ O'Reilly/ Jeff Carter got in their trades (1st, blue chip prospect or young roster regular plus probably another piece), and with that and with Jim at the helm I think we're in good hands, whether he/ Bo/ Boeser goes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I would take that and run.

Rags would be insane to give up on Lundkvist right now. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/384079/nils-lundkvist

Really??  I don't see it that way.  I see him more of a RHD version of Rathbone.  Maybe a bit better, but not to the point where I'd suggest the Rangers would be insane to move him right now.  Even the article shows, it would take Lundkvist, 1st, 2nd, and maybe another prospect to be equal value to Miller.