The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Dec. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

FTFY.

IMO he needs to put in the work next offseason to get stronger, put on muscle, improve his skating and his speed and come to camp next year willing to put everything on the line for the team. He cannot afford anymore to go to Sweden in the offseason and work out with his brother at their local rink by themselves and think that is anywhere near good enough.

Henrik and Daniel need to take him aside and explain in detail the work they put in every offseason to get better. They became top athletes through hard work and dedication to fitness.  Pettersson needs to dedicate himself to getting stronger and faster.

If he is willing to do that he may yet become a star in the league.  If not he is on his way to being a big disappointment.

None of that is glass half empty .  It just is what it is.

I am a lot closer to agreeing with you on those comments.............

But respectfully, I was commenting on this game and this season

All those whining about Pettersson should look again.

He is contributing... it was his pass to Miller that set up the pass to Horvat for the game tying goal.

He also has sent in players alone on net several times in the past two games... the fact they didn't convert is no reflection on his passing.

He is not shooting as well as he used to.... we all know that... his percentage is way below his average, but if he can get back up to normal, he will put up the goals as well.

But as Boudreau said, you don't get your best players going again by stapling them to the bench... you get them going by playing them.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

He is contributing... it was his pass to Miller that set up the pass to Horvat for the game tying goal.

He also has sent in players alone on net several times in the past two games... the fact they didn't convert is no reflection on his passing.

He is not shooting as well as he used to.... we all know that... his percentage is way below his average, but if he can get back up to normal, he will put up the goals as well.

The troubling part though is that I'm not seeing the speed of EP that we saw before.  Some say that teams have figured out how to play him but honestly he just doesn't look like a guy who's skating at his top speed anymore.  Nor is he the playmaker or shooter that he was.  I don't have concerns with his career but I do hope that he gets the help that's needed to get him back to his usual self.  We need him firing on all cylinders if the playoffs are a thing.

11 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Streak started against the Kings and ended against the Kings

Can't see Quick being happy about letting in the game winner against JT in their previous outing against the Canucks. 

I'm sure he was fired up to get the win tonight. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I would agree with that, including the shoot out. Did you see the next LA shooter do the same thing............just went brain dead, and I get that criticism, but on the whole, he played decent...not great, fantastic or awesome........decent, and that is a step up IMHO

I dunno man I'm not really happy with decent. 

Kid's got the confidence to hold out and try to squeeze every penny out of JB skips training camp and comes in and just falls flat on his face. Now I'm not about kicking a guy when he is down but his body language is insidious and unacceptable of a leader on any team. It would be a lot easier for me to defend him if there were more to defend.  I'm willing to give him the season but if he doesn't get his act together by next xmas I'ma be all outa patience for his emo teenager act. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Do you remember his shoot out goal the other night? Do you know how few top 3 forwards can pull that off? The answer is not many, maybe 5 or 10 in the whole NHL.

Now, his accuracy is down, but do you know how many shoot that hard.......again not many...........my point being there are alot of pluses that put him top 6

His defense is better than most top 6 players.............

I am not saying he is playing at the peak of his game, I am just pointing out the pluses, of which there are many

Not saying it wasn’t a beautiful goal, but to say only a handful of guys could pull it off is a stretch.

Plenty of guys who aren’t household names have done it.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

But as Boudreau said, you don't get your best players going again by stapling them to the bench... you get them going by playing them.

Just because EP is back from a season ending injury and playing once again, doesn’t mean he’s recovered 100%.

As a university athlete, it took a couple of years before I recovered from a ruptured Achillies with regular physio & rehab. Being pain-free is quite a different thing from being “as good as new” or better.

EP might be on a journey adjusting to his new normal, or still working to recapture that acute muscle memory & timing of his once amazing shot. 

I wish him well, but Bruce shouldn’t be leaning on him exclusively to lead-out in shoot/out situations -  if or when better options present themselves, amongst his younger, & perhaps even more confident & eager players like Hogz or Podz. 

That’s all I’m wondering…will our Canucks’ future-stars get some  experience in shoot-out situations vs the NHL’s elite goalies, soon, too? 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I know people tend to be more critical of the team after losses, but pointing the finger at the only player who scored a goal in the shoot out because you don’t like his moves seems very misplaced.

pointing fingers? literally all of them were the same coming off the board with no speed? so it wasn't pointed at anyone? 

25 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Not saying it wasn’t a beautiful goal, but to say only a handful of guys could pull it off is a stretch.

Plenty of guys who aren’t household names have done it.

So there was like 6 players that scored

- Henrik Sedin and Zetterberg have been out of the league for 2 plus years

-Tavares and Tarasenko are 2 of the premier scorers in the league

- the other 2 I could not recall

So yes, there are not many that can pull it off on a regular basis, or would dare

Lets not quibble whether  there is 5 or 10, there are not many, which is my point

Incidentally, how many is a handful?

3 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

So there was like 6 players that scored

- Henrik Sedin and Zetterberg have been out of the league for 2 plus years

-Tavares and Tarasenko are 2 of the premier scorers in the league

- the other 2 I could not recall

So yes, there are not many that can pull it off on a regular basis, or would dare

Lets not quibble whether  there is 5 or 10, there are not many, which is my point

Incidentally, how many is a handful?

In recent history, Benoit Pouliot, Ristolainen, Duclair, Kevin Hayes, Radulov, even LE did it in Dallas. Lot of guys in recent history have done it, but the point wasn’t to quibble over exactly how many players can pull it off. I just thought it was inaccurate to state that only 5-10 players can do it. The move is more common than you might think.

Its incredible how skilled even the average NHLer is especially without a defender to worry about.

• Upvote 1