The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

If Bruce want him to kill penalties, he has to learn, how to kill penalties.... so basically you should complain about Bruce instead.

I think Bruce gets it much more than some fans do.

Keeping him engaged, even if not at his full capacity, is important.  Having him build confidence wherever/however is important.  As Bruce has so wisely stated, Petey is one of our biggest assets...the goal is to allow him to play through it.  Giving him more minutes, not less.  Not punishing him and letting him sit and think even further.  We want him to stop thinking the game and just get back to playing it.  That'll come through how Bruce is handling this...I'm so impressed with him and his very modern way of doing things.  For an older guy, he's really awesome because he understands how to motivate players.  Some here think you can "scare them" into performing.  Just doesn't work that way.

It's great that Petey doesn't have an ego or respond with a "that's not my role" attitude and is willing to do whatever is asked of him.  Embrace it.  Actually, it was his idea from what I understand and good for him for thinking outside the box.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

25 minutes ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

I totally understand but the guy looks uninterested at best when he’s on the ice , something needs to be done about that ….. atleast Quinn is manning up post hold out.

What it looks like on your tv and what's really going on could be and likely are completely different. All players struggle and most end up playing through and are better for it. It's way to early to hit the panic button ... for the numerous reasons mentioned. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pearson was a beast. Good game by Hogz and Podz, and that 4th line.  Did Pettersson play? :ph34r:

Pearson, love his playing to-night.

I predict 4-2, he broke it. 

However, I still love his playing and hope he will do the same in every game in future.

Both Hogz and Podz are better a lot under the new coach, but Pettersson . . .

The coach team need to find a way for him.

3 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I did,  and there were obvious glaring holes he didn't know how to address them.  A couple problems I had were  he only had one strategy and kept trying to make everyone play his way, which wasn't working.  

Also bag skates instead of trying some strategies, or even develop chemistry.  Bag skates ... 

Green's systems were (mostly) effective when we were a developing team. He found roles that let a large number of players excel as they jumped in to the league. Boeser / Petey / Hughes, not to mention Markstrom & Demko.  Or that virtually every player improved the year after Willie. He was a good coach.

Yup, rigid; a systems coach.  2 scoring lines, 2 checking lines. I do admit, and you will find me posting 2 years ago if u look, that i never liked forwards sitting back in the defensive & neutral zone. Always advocated an attacking defensive style?

But it worked ''pretty'' good, not perfect when the key support personnel matched.  Much easier to play defensively with Edler & Tanev. They are just better in their zone than OEL & Myers.  With Beagle & Sutter for defensive assignments. Which left Pettersson, Hughes & Boeser to run O'zone starts. And they came out flying!

Green's downfall was twofold to my eyes.  And it was time for him to go! He did not adapt his system when he did not have Edler and Tanev... OEL is not as good in the D'zone, but is better overall. Say what you will about Myers, but he has some speed and puck skill. We also added speed with Garland, Podz. We should have, and are going up tempo with Bruce; and there it is!  Green failed to adapt his structure to new personnel. "Defensive'' structure was no doubt his pitch in gaining a new contract as a key to the next step.  Tightening up di not work, we went hard in the wrong direction.  Part two players became lost; in roles that did not work.

OEL / Hughes screams for an up tempo attack!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

To be fair there was always dirty pests. Tons of dirty pests pre 2005 lockout

Jarkko Ruutu, Claude lemieux, Marty mcsorely etc 

I remember, those days and those guys are also, very willing combatants cause they understood the [unwritten rule].

Edited by ShawnAntoski

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Keeping him engaged, even if not at his full capacity, is important.  Having him build confidence wherever/however is important.  As Bruce has so wisely stated, Petey is one of our biggest assets...the goal is to allow him to play through it.  Giving him more minutes, not less.  Not punishing him and letting him sit and think even further.  We want him to stop thinking the game and just get back to playing it.  That'll come through how Bruce is handling this...I'm so impressed with him and his very modern way of doing things.  For an older guy, he's really awesome because he understands how to motivate players.  Some here think you can "scare them" into performing.  Just doesn't work that way.

It's great that Petey doesn't have an ego or respond with a "that's not my role" attitude and is willing to do whatever is asked of him.  Embrace it.  Actually, it was his idea from what I understand and good for him for thinking outside the box.

Great point. A lot of people act like you just flip a switch or something. They just keep posting their frustrations like why doesn't he just do this or be better or turn it on. Then they conclude he sucks. In reality it's a process when you're in a slump and you do have to work your way out of it. People should at least give the 23 yr old Calder Cup winner a chance. :picard: 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I'd go a little further an say it is down to experience on Bruce part. Petey will be far from the first star Bruce have seen have problems at certain stages during their career...

Also, none of us knows, if there is more going on behind the scenes, than meet the eyes... It's maybe the first time, it doesn't come easy to Petey.

Secondly, he could be nursing an injury or god knows what...

Regardless, the last thing we need to do, is to start hounding our best player at the first opportunity... 

He may never recover, but if he does (when he does), he'll be a better player for it, and this fan base is going to look so stupid, if that happens to be for another team.

We all know, how good Petey can be...

He is not on a retirement contract, so the $ he earns just now, are totally irrelevant to that....

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Yes absolutely.

But he is also making Petey work. #1 we are running three scoring lines. Which means Pettersson is neither on a loaded up line with all the guns in the offensive zone.  And we don't have Sutter & Beagle to shoulder D assignments. Even though we are not sitting back, ala Green, he still has more defensive assignments than ever! 

#2 He is mixing it up. We do have to admit our Power Play had gone quite stale. Every team expected him to try and let go howitzers from the top of the RHS circle! So Bruce has him in front for the moment, was switching sides 2 weeks ago. New things & he needs to learn from it; add to his repertoire. I have no doubt he will start getting tips, passes to the bumper, rebounds. Maybe jump down to Gretzky's alley is next? Or the point on PK2. He will also go back to his shooting slot as soon as teams shift...

And he gets his motor running.    

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Green's systems were (mostly) effective when we were a developing team. He found roles that let a large number of players excel as they jumped in to the league. Boeser / Petey / Hughes, not to mention Markstrom & Demko.  Or that virtually every player improved the year after Willie. He was a good coach.

Yup, rigid; a systems coach.  2 scoring lines, 2 checking lines. I do admit, and you will find me posting 2 years ago if u look, that i never liked forwards sitting back in the defensive & neutral zone. Always advocated an attacking defensive style?

But it worked ''pretty'' good, not perfect when the key support personnel matched.  Much easier to play defensively with Edler & Tanev. They are just better in their zone than OEL & Myers.  With Beagle & Sutter for defensive assignments. Which left Pettersson, Hughes & Boeser to run O'zone starts. And they came out flying!

Green's downfall was twofold to my eyes.  And it was time for him to go! He did not adapt his system when he did not have Edler and Tanev... OEL is not as good in the D'zone, but is better overall. Say what you will about Myers, but he has some speed and puck skill. We also added speed with Garland, Podz. We should have, and are going up tempo with Bruce; and there it is!  Green failed to adapt his structure to new personnel. "Defensive'' structure was no doubt his pitch in gaining a new contract as a key to the next step.  Tightening up di not work, we went hard in the wrong direction.  Part two players became lost; in roles that did not work.

In Green's 5 year tenure, up to and including the playoff bubble I never once thought this team did well developing players. I think there was just as good a chance those players turned out the same way playing under Willie D. Nothing was ever good, I don't know why so many people think the first 2 years were good. They were awful everything with Green was awful except the bubble wins and even those were suspect at best. Markstrom could barely get a shut out under Green, he has like 7  since... NOTHING WAS EVER GOOD... Development was meh at best with this guy. If his systems were effective we would have had more than 1 winning season in 5, and that winning season was slowly dwindling away.

Greens development lead to chaos in the organization, I have no doubt in my mind if they hired someone other than Mr. Bag skate 4 years ago we would have had more playoff appearances.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I was just thinking that - and I’m sure we aren’t the only ones who saw that - Green going away from an aggressive team we saw in the bubble to a more conservative scheme was baffling to say the least. 

When Hughes, OEL and Myers make up the bulk of your top 4, you need to play to their strengths - especially adding in the firepower we have in the forward group.  Top it off with Demko who can cover when they get caught it seems like a no brainer.  

Sometimes you get too close to the problem to see the obvious out I guess… and Green isn’t the first coach to bear down when facing adversity I guess.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

In Green's 5 year tenure, up to and including the playoff bubble I never once thought this team did well developing players. I think there was just as good a chance those players turned out the same way playing under Willie D. Nothing was ever good, I don't know why so many people think the first 2 years were good. They were awful everything with Green was awful except the bubble wins and even those were suspect at best. Markstrom could barely get a shut out under Green, he has like 7  since... NOTHING WAS EVER GOOD... Development was meh at best with this guy. If his systems were effective we would have had more than 1 winning season in 5, and that winning season was slowly dwindling away.

Greens development lead to chaos in the organization, I have no doubt in my mind if they hired someone other than Mr. Bag skate 4 years ago we would have had more playoff appearances.

Yeah, despite all the fluff about him - his overall record confirms that he is a mediocre coach.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Thanks 1

Green is hardly the 1st coach to bag skate a team. Nor rely on fitness testing as a key performance indicator.

Tortorella had Mike Santorelli in a key role.  After eclipsing everyone, including the Twins in back to back, what was it, 2km runs?  Its worth mentioning Petey, Hoglander, Motte are among guys who have crushed the bag skate.  Guys who have more puff in training, have more jump on the ice.  Its just what it is.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, rekker said:

While I agree on the many opinions on EP, not many have mentioned his strength and conditioning. Unfortunately, EP dropped the ball this off season. He may have been recovering from injuries but there was more he should of done. He's dropped speed, has gotten no stronger. He looks winded easily. I trust this young man to correct this in the summer as training during the season is very difficult. Unfortunately he spent too much time last summer reading his own press clippings. EP is as competitive a hockey player I've watched and no one is more pissed at EP, than EP. I don't really expect much change from him this year. I do expect a different EP40 next year. It's about mental maturity as well as physical. 

A lot of speculation here. Here's my speculation: He's focused too much on increasing strength in the wrong way. 

Off-ice weight training might overemphasize "vertical strength" that interferes with the horizontal strength involved in speed and other hockey movements.  Remember how pre-steroid baseball players disdained doing weights for similar reasons? 

Eventually, like Boeser and Quinn, he'll find a balance, but he might have a longer road given his build. 

Bring back Bure's parachute!

Edited by frank einstein
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I remember, those days and those guys are also, very willing combatants cause they understood the [unwritten rule].

I dunno man. I think I remember ruutu biting a player, mcsorely almost decapitated Brashear cause he was too pussy to fight him, and Claude lemieux was as dirty as they come.

There always has and always will be greasy players that push the envelope, Enforcers or not.

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Green is hardly the 1st coach to bag skate a team. Nor rely on fitness testing as a key performance indicator.

Tortorella had Mike Santorelli in a key role.  After eclipsing everyone, including the Twins in back to back, what was it, 2km runs?  Its worth mentioning Petey, Hoglander, Motte are among guys who have crushed the bag skate.  Guys who have more puff in training, have more jump on the ice.  Its just what it is.

I know I shouldn't go at Green, because at the end of it all I felt pretty bad for the guy he looked defeated. I think he should go spend some time in Europe, he'd probably be pretty good in the Swiss league. Get him to coach a Spengler Cup, then if he does well I'd consider bringing him back as an assistant in the league. 

But man did he ever frustrate me. The whole defensive structure letting teams take our zone, it ate my soul. I couldn't handle it.  I'm so happy we have Boudreau right now. Like over the moon, my soul has been returned a little bit. 

But wouldn't it be something if the team Benning built pulled a St. Louis without him to see it through?

13 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I dunno man. I think I remember ruutu biting a player, mcsorely almost decapitated Brashear cause he was too pussy to fight him, and Claude lemieux was as dirty as they come.

There always has and always will be greasy players that push the envelope, Enforcers or not.

Good points, different era but the new NHL rules, to rid the sport of goonery has only, removed the best deterrent when dealing with a douche - imo.  Ofcourse, every generation despite the rules will find a way to send a message - either adapt or get destroyed.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I know I shouldn't go at Green, because at the end of it all I felt pretty bad for the guy he looked defeated

Look? We had a horrible start. 

And it appears he was a major, if not the the key contributor.  He paid the price, he's gone.  I also stylistically did not like his system. Just I am not going to pile on endlessly.  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1