The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson moved to Covid Protocol

Rate this topic

Me_

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would never happen.

It could be abused too much. Teams could put star players in lesser roles until playoffs to cheat the cap.

Players would never agree to it in a million years.

I know, but I can dream.  ;)

• Haha 1

Has anyone seen a report where the Sedins are working with Pettersson every week to guide his development?

If both Daniel and Henrik are on the payroll and given how they went from borderline players to stars through hard work...is there any reason it makes sense that they don't become key mentors for Petey and are asked to work with him from now until he fully develops?

JR are you paying attention?

42 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Has anyone seen a report where the Sedins are working with Pettersson every week to guide his development?

If both Daniel and Henrik are on the payroll and given how they went from borderline players to stars through hard work...is there any reason it makes sense that they don't become key mentors for Petey and are asked to work with him from now until he fully develops?

JR are you paying attention?

interesting take

I know the Sedins scored a lot of points, wore letters and old records

but

they did struggle to find a linemate

do you suggest one or both Sedins mentor Petey?

and, if one, which one?

I find it curious that we don't hear about the Sedin's mentoring Petey through his troubles.  Isn't it a logical fit?  When Daniel and Henrik came to the NHL they struggled and then they figured out how to work in the off season to become star players.

Doesn't it make sense that they lead Petey through his development?  What possible higher value could they bring to the team more than this right now?

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Sadly this mini camp could have really helped him.

Now he’s gonna miss two practices and have to sit out a week.

You know when everything seems to be going wrong for you? 

This is what is happening with Elias Pettersson right now. I think you have to just count this season as a wash for the young man. He needs a reset, and probably isn’t going to get it during the season. Fresh start in the off-season, come back with a vengeance next season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, lmm said:

interesting take

I know the Sedins scored a lot of points, wore letters and old records

but

they did struggle to find a linemate

do you suggest one or both Sedins mentor Petey?

and, if one, which one?

I think he would just benefit from those two guys inviting Petey into their home, and just chat with him, and offer him advice, or allow him to pick their brain a little on what to do, perhaps with regards to this struggle. 

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think he would just benefit from those two guys inviting Petey into their home, and just chat with him, and offer him advice, or allow him to pick their brain a little on what to do, perhaps with regards to this struggle. 

maybe he would and maybe he wouldn't

I think the Sedins are overrated on their ability to communicate with other players

they were great with each other, sublime in fact

but they had trouble with Virtanen and McCann

Daniel went all pouty when Kassian outscored him as a linemate early one season

Canuck fans are funny in that they actually think that great hockey players are actual super heroes

Linden has flaws

the Sedins have flaws

they were good/great at what they did, but I think that is the end of it

I have 2 kittens from the same litter, I suppose you could say they are twins, but I see differences in them

too often people say the Sedins should be co-gm or co- president

I think the Sedins should experience life as solo beings

now that I think of it it was Daniel who had issues with Jake and Jarod,

so maybe Hank would be more useful to Petey than Daniel

but maybe a good sports psychologist would be better than either or both of them

or maybe let the year play out and not have the GM string him out all summer with contract negotiations 

until the Sedins start flying around town in Blue/Green tights and wearing a cape, I refuse to believe that they are anything more than retired hockey players that were quite good at their job, (as hockey players)

do you recall what a great coach Gretzky was? 

6 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I find it curious that we don't hear about the Sedin's mentoring Petey through his troubles.  Isn't it a logical fit?  When Daniel and Henrik came to the NHL they struggled and then they figured out how to work in the off season to become star players.

Doesn't it make sense that they lead Petey through his development?  What possible higher value could they bring to the team more than this right now?

no

35 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think the Sedins are overrated on their ability to communicate with other players

Canuck fans are funny in that they actually think that great hockey players are actual super heroes

Linden has flaws

the Sedins have flaws

I have 2 kittens from the same litter, I suppose you could say they are twins, but I see differences in them

but maybe a good sports psychologist would be better than either or both of them

or maybe let the year play out and not have the GM string him out all summer with contract negotiations 

until the Sedins start flying around town in Blue/Green tights and wearing a cape, I refuse to believe that they are anything more than retired hockey players that were quite good at their job, (as hockey players)

who knows if they would or wouldn’t. 

I never said that the Sedins didn’t have flaws, or that Linden didn’t have flaws (why is he mentioned, we ain’t talking about Linden). Using Virtanen as an example is just, well, a poor example. Virtanen’s not even producing a point a game in the KHL. Virtanen couldn’t produce in the NHL consistently enough. That’s not on the Sedins. Jared? Eh, he’s doing well in Seattle, I’m happy for the man. 

The Sedins have their own lives, even as twins. They are married to different women, they have their own children, etc, etc. What’s your point, and what does this have to do with Pettersson? 

I’m just saying that maybe the Sedins connecting with Petey could do Petey a world of wonders. That’s all that I’m saying. 

Why the &^@# would you need to see the Sedins in blue and green tights wearing a cape? WTF. 

Gretzky didn’t do that great coaching in Arizona. But it’s &^@#ing Arizona. Look at that organization from top to bottom. They’re a &^@#ing $&!# and gong show. Which coach has actually done well in Arizona? Gimme a break. 

I don’t even know what the point of your post was. Sounded like a rant to me, on something

5 hours ago, lmm said:

Linden has flaws

the Sedins have flaws

There isn't anything wrong with the Sedins helping with player development.   Actually agree that no they aren't super hero's, but also agree with the poster your replying too, that simply having EP over for dinner and them communicating their struggles as young players - or just talking about the game would be helpful.   There are a lot of stories and gratitude expressed from young players living in veterans houses, and how much that helped their careers, or spending a lot of time with the vets families.   Mario did this with Crosby.    Sometimes it's just sharing a home cooked meal, and feeling like part of the family/franchise that helps these guys.   Being able to speak Swedish.   Who knows.   And it's not always the stars.   The happier EP is off the ice, the easier he can cope with his on ice struggles.   Doesn't have to be the Sedins either could be any of the vets or players on the team.   OEL maybe.   It can be part of the mentoring process, it also strengthens the bond between teammates.   Coffey did this.   Offered his lake house to a lot of younger or less paid players (Probert was one of them).  Guerin did it, so did Owen Nolan (a wine enthusiast), Shanny - and Messier treated every young player like family (know nobody wants to hear that), it's part of team building.   I hope Horvat does too.   On Gretzky not sure why his coaching comes up lol.   Other then maybe you should actually put the time in and not assume it's that easy.  

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

There isn't anything wrong with the Sedins helping with player development.   Actually agree that no they aren't super hero's, but also agree with the poster your replying too, that simply having EP over for dinner and them communicating their struggles as young players - or just talking about the game would be helpful.   There are a lot of stories and gratitude expressed from young players living in veterans houses, and how much that helped their careers, or spending a lot of time with the vets families.   Mario did this with Crosby.    Sometimes it's just sharing a home cooked meal, and feeling like part of the family/franchise that helps these guys.   Being able to speak Swedish.   Who knows.   And it's not always the stars.   The happier EP is off the ice, the easier he can cope with his on ice struggles.   Doesn't have to be the Sedins either could be any of the vets or players on the team.   OEL maybe.   It can be part of the mentoring process, it also strengthens the bond between teammates.   Coffey did this.   Offered his lake house to a lot of younger or less paid players (Probert was one of them).  Guerin did it, so did Owen Nolan (a wine enthusiast), Shanny - and Messier treated every young player like family (know nobody wants to hear that), it's part of team building.   I hope Horvat does too.   On Gretzky not sure why his coaching comes up lol.   Other then maybe you should actually put the time in and not assume it's that easy.  

Loui did but people thought a 6mill mentor was too expensive... 

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Still gotta get through tomorrow (Friday) before game day on Sat. 

yeah feels something like the dog days of summer waiting for hockey but with snow on the ground, weird feeling... I guess like the all-star break, meh..