The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Time for JR to make his first big move (Boeser)

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree. He's too slow and $7+ is a lot IMO.  I think the Canucks would get a very nice return in a trade, and get a player with speed (and possibly size) that could help this team be better.  

Yeah totally. Like… a Boeser-type player.

Hey wait a minute.

What if, the Canucks… had a player like that…

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

True.  I don't remember Boldy to be too quick neither.  Am I wrong?

The Canucks need size and speed in one player, not two different players.  But a solid D would be a higher priority IMO.

No but he's also not gonna cost 7+ and will prob get you 20 goals.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Yeah totally. Like… a Boeser-type player.

Hey wait a minute.

What if, the Canucks… had a player like that…

You're kidding, right?!!!  Boeser has size but look how many hits he throws.  It irritates me every time he pulls up when he should throw the hit.  He has 15 hits!!!!  Podz has over triple that with 2/3 the ice time.  And don't even get me going with speed.  Boeser is not molasses slow but he's not $8M/yr fast neither.  Nowhere close.  How many times have you seen Boeser use his speed and size to create a play on his own?  A lot less than guys like Bo, Miller, Petey and Huggy.  

Brock at $5.5M/yr would be perfect.  $6.5M/yr if he's hitting 30 goals/yr reliably and has some intangibles.  That won't happen though so our hand should be forced.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

So you'd rather pay ~$8M/yr hoping that Boeser hasn't peaked yet than keep Miller at $5.25M/yr who is actually peaking right now?  I think that only holds if you're seeing a huge upswing in Brock......we are not.  IMO Brock has definitely peaked already.  I'm basing that on the fact that his conditioning has not improved over the years, nor has his versatility.

I'd trade Boeser for a 2nd and a prospect and lock Miller up until he's 33-34 at 8ish mill.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

This thread has some very funny posts.  At least we aren’t so dumbo as to suggest trading Brock for Dumba.  That’s wasn't even funny.  

JR is a very smart hockey guy, who knows how to build a winner.  He will build around Demko, Petey, and Hughes.  Everyone else is a potential trade chip providing the return is what JR wants.  The guys who will go first though will be Miller, Motte, and Dickinson.  The first two will return assets; the latter is to get cap space. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

This thread has some very funny posts.  At least we aren’t so dumbo as to suggest trading Brock for Dumba.  That’s wasn't even funny.  

JR is a very smart hockey guy, who knows how to build a winner.  He will build around Demko, Petey, and Hughes.  Everyone else is a potential trade chip providing the return is what JR wants.  The guys who will go first though will be Miller, Motte, and Dickinson.  The first two will return assets; the latter is to get cap space. 

Keeping Brock at his coming contract and losing a guy like Motte would move this team backwards.  This team needs more Motte.  Agree with you on Dickinson.  Hoping to keep Miller at a price point that's somewhat reasonable.  Hopefully less than $8M/yr. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Miller has years left in the tank he's 28 show me a Championship team without a few vets on it. 

Miller is a UFA in 2023.  It’s best we move him before this 2022 TDL so the acquiring team gets him for two Cup runs.  That gets us the best return.  Bye bye Miller.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Keeping Brock at his coming contract and losing a guy like Motte would move this team backwards.  This team needs more Motte.  Agree with you on Dickinson.  Hoping to keep Miller at a price point that's somewhat reasonable.  Hopefully less than $8M/yr. 

We control Brock; we don’t control Miller. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Miller is a UFA in 2023.  It’s best we move him before this 2022 TDL so the acquiring team gets him for two Cup runs.  That gets us the best return.  Bye bye Miller.  

Hmmm I'd rather have him for the canucks cup runs. He's built for the playoffs and The Canucks will need veteran leadership. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Was someone hijacking your login before or am I mistaken?!!!  I thought you were not liking Demko.  Or perhaps you were just keeping the sarcasm going?!!!  Either way, agree....he's our MVP.

Demko was crappy for three games.  That was why we lost.  That doesn’t mean he’s a bum.  Bubble Demko is top five on the planet.  At his contract, he’s number one.  We need to score too though.  Bess is one of those rare guys who can score when the goalie sees the shot clean.  Petey and Pods have shots like that too.  

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Hmmm I'd rather have him for the canucks cup runs. He's built for the playoffs and The Canucks will need veteran leadership. 

Miller hasn’t even invested in a condo, let alone a house, here.  IMHAO he is leaving after this contract is up.  

• Upvote 1

100% this is a move not only to create cap To re up horvat and Miller guys your gonna win with the package I’d look at it is with New York rangers 

Rangers Recieve:

Tanner Pearson Brock boeser 4th round pick

Canucks recieve: Schiender,Kravtsov 2nd round pick 

Reasons Canucks do it create cap space and get 2 young prospects 

Reasons Rangers do it kravtsov wants out they get 2 good players to make run now for cup

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

100% this is a move not only to create cap To re up horvat and Miller guys your gonna win with the package I’d look at it is with New York rangers 

Rangers Recieve:

Tanner Pearson Brock boeser 4th round pick

Canucks recieve: Schiender,Kravtsov 2nd round pick 

Reasons Canucks do it create cap space and get 2 young prospects 

Reasons Rangers do it kravtsov wants out they get 2 good players to make run now for cup

So we give up Bess for Schneider?  This Schneider better be one heck of a prospect, and become a top four guy ASAP, or we are getting bent over the barrel, taken to the woodshed, and slapped silly.  

47 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

So you'd rather pay ~$8M/yr hoping that Boeser hasn't peaked yet than keep Miller at $5.25M/yr who is actually peaking right now?  I think that only holds if you're seeing a huge upswing in Brock......we are not.  IMO Brock has definitely peaked already.  I'm basing that on the fact that his conditioning has not improved over the years, nor has his versatility.

Boeser has peaked at 24 but Miller is just peaking now at 28?  I don't think that's accurate.  We don't know what the peak for Brock is.  It could be 40 goals.  Miller is having a career year and could be at this level for several more years.  So both players in my opinion still have alot to give before their careers are over.

In terms of performance, I am only going to look at what each player has done since Boudreau took over:

JT Miller - 4 goals 12 assists = 16 points in 14 games

Brock Boeser - 6 goals 3 assists = 9 points in 12 games

Obviously Miller has the most trade value right now.  However, Boeser is ahead of everyone in points since Boudreau took over except for Miller, Horvat and Hughes.

If JR does want to trade one core player this year then Miller would be the one that gets the best return and has the most interest from other teams.  

I have a felling we will be in a playoff position within the next 2-3 weeks, so that will complicate any Miller trade.  If JR can get a guy who can come in and play as a 3C plus get a top prospect and a 1st round pick for Miller, then I think JR may pull the trigger even if we are in a playoff spot.  The NY Rangers seem to be the most interested and have the collateral to pull the trigger on a Miller deal.

Motte is another guy that could be traded if the value is there.  If we can get a 1st round pick for him or a 2nd plus a good prospect then JR will need to look at that as well.  We will see.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2