The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

1 hour ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Look at capfriendly NJD. and look how well they did with that space. Imagine another Hughes as defense, Luke and Jake already there. eating the OEL contract, and maybe Myers too? no problems.

Devils will have only a 2-3 million left in cap space after they sign all their RFA and ufa in Graves. And already traded Severson cause they know there is no way to fit him under the cap. Here is a link to devils next year done by some poster after signing their RFA and graves 

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4272739

9 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Devils will have only a 2-3 million left in cap space after they sign all their RFA and ufa in Graves. And already traded Severson cause they know there is no way to fit him under the cap. Here is a link to devils next year done by some poster after signing their RFA and graves 

Yes I had a close look. But they have alot more negotiable room with some RFA as I am sure other teams are not lined up with offers. NJ has been sensible with thier contracts not like the canucks. They will not make the same mistakes and Jack Hughes is the only one currently earning his contract

39 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

This is poor management on the part of all us fans. There shouldnt be a trade Garland post, he was the sweetener for us to take the OEL contract. Garland earns his contract. Keep the sweetener, (dont throw the baby out with the bathwater {OEL}  if you can dilute the bathwater with hughes sell that instead for twice as much)

Actually the sweeteners in the deal were the Canucks giving Phoenix the 9th OA 2021. A 2nd rd  pick in 2022. And a 7th rd pick this year. Putting that into context the Canucks would undoubtedly want more than pure cap savings and a pick (26oa this year). for losing Hughes , OEL  lol. 

Edited by chon derry

20 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Severson was let go for last years 2nd overall pick Simon Nemec to join the team. Luke Hughes will play full time next year and can replace Graves as well. All they need to do is fill out their bottom pair and they’ve probably saved around $10.25 in cap space while upgrading their second pair or at least break even. 

1 minute ago, KyGuy123 said:

Severson was let go for last years 2nd overall pick Simon Nemec to join the team. Luke Hughes will play full time next year and can replace Graves as well. All they need to do is fill out their bottom pair and they’ve probably saved around $10.25 in cap space while upgrading their second pair or at least break even. 

also TIMO MEIER aint gonna get more than Jack Hughes on his new contract, I bet he goes somewhere else for 4.5. Buddy estimated 8 but he must be a player manager or something. His points per game is under 1

35 minutes ago, mordekai said:

JESPER BRATT is another contract I bet NJ will let go. He is overpaid due to arbitration and there is no way NJ is giving him 2 or 3 million more on a contract. Your armchair GM source will be a first draft contender soon.

1 hour ago, mll said:

You seem to be forgetting that they have some rather key players to extend and need to ice a team.  

Timo Meier has a 10M qualifying offer.  His deal is expected to start with a 9.

Bratt was already asking for upwards of 8M last off-season.  That's 16-17M already and you are leaving them with only 13M and not even a complete roster.  That would put them at 17 players when minimum is 20 but teams typically go with 22-23.  

Do they want Meler for more than 6.5.... I think they will let him walk. What do you think the Canucks would offer Timo? exactly. if he has a 10 mil offer any team should let him go, knowing you can stock more on your team for less.

5 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

you need to update your playstation NHL 2012 cause obviously your trades need to be sensible to the opposing team as well. And why would Van give up a hard fighting wall guy who gets the puck off the defenders for less than 6mil per year?

Wow original comment re Playstation. Good one.:lol:

The reason we need to trade some wingers is that we have too many, and we don't have enough Dmen. Why would I trade Garland and Beauvillier? They don't score enough to be top 6 players and are too small, too expensive and ineffective as 3rd line guys.

Edited by BigTramFan

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I still remember the argument Garland will be better than the #9 pick lol. I'd like to see Garland return a #9 pick now in 2024 or 2025. 

To be fair Dylan Guenther looks like a total bustaroo. But still much rather have him bust than have Garland. 
Benning :picard:

10 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

also TIMO MEIER aint gonna get more than Jack Hughes on his new contract, I bet he goes somewhere else for 4.5. Buddy estimated 8 but he must be a player manager or something. His points per game is under 1

I can't tell if this is satire or I'm reading it wrong. Are you saying you expect Meier, who would be top 3 in hits for forwards on most teams, puts up nearly a ppg a season, and plays a coveted role as a power forward, is going to take a significant haircut off his current contract?

If this proposed swap were to take place, I don't see how we don't add. It would be a cap dump and a young player with tons of upside. Doubt it happens. I would do this deal no questions asked if it were simply 1:1.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Arthur Staple, Senior Writer for the New Rangers, is proposing this trade:

To Vancouver:

Alexis Lareniere

To NY Rangers:

Conor Garland (% salary retained)

https://theathletic.com/4596641/2023/06/10/rangers-trade-targets-chris-drury/

this is an interesting take.  At first people say, nah are you crazy laf was first overall!

The issue is this. Laf is going into his 4th season. He has not shown 1st overall talent. Now is that because of development, or he just doesn't have it? What are they weaknesses in his game? Personally, I don't watch him enough to know, but like many are always 'wowed' by the first overall issue so you don't look deeper.

What I did notice is this. Laf has played 216 games in the NHL and has a .42 ppg and has seen more pp time than Garland.

We know Garland barely gets pp time and thus his .60 ppg career average is actually very impressive. Even last year he was right on that average despite not having a great year. .60 ppg is actually top 6 in ppg average if you check league numbers. So here's a guy getting 3rd line ice scoring at a top 6 clip.

This is the point the "throw him away with the sweetener" crowd don't get, that he's better than a cap dump. Also teams are just holding us hostage until the draft and ufa season are over. After that, they will be looking for players because they may not get the UFA's they want, at the same time we are out of the crazy season so we haven't been to improve, so other team's leverage is gone. Teams are using our desire to improve as leverage, we don't NEED cap space (we can run it back and make some small moves and be compliant). What they are trying to leverage is management / ownership impatience to improve THIS year. If we accept that maybe we can't improve in the offseason, and wait, we are out of cap problems by moving Myers post bonus, Garland later etc). At worst a bunch of contracts roll of next season and we have alot of room. Its a game to take advantage of us,

Long story short, Garland has value, just not before UFA and the draft, where the financial flexibility we get is why teams hold us hostage.

In the end, its a 21 year old who may be showing he's not 1st overall talent at 0.42 ppg to a team in a rebuild on the fly, for a 27 year old 0.60 ppg player who's done most of that 5 on 5 and a team 'going for it' and who needs more scoring from the bottom 6.

To me it actually makes sense if NYR don't believe Laf is not much more than a 40-50 pt player.

Edited by NuckLuck19
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NuckLuck19 said:

this is an interesting take.  At first people say, nah are you crazy laf was first overall!

The issue is this. Laf is going into his 4th season. He has not shown 1st overall talent. Now is that because of development, or he just doesn't have it? What are they weaknesses in his game? Personally, I don't watch him enough to know, but like many are always 'wowed' by the first overall issue so you don't look deeper.

What I did notice is this. Laf has played 216 games in the NHL and has a .42 ppg and has seen more pp time than Garland.

We know Garland barely gets pp time and thus his .60 ppg career average is actually very impressive. Even last year he was right on that average despite not having a great year. .60 ppg is actually top 6 in ppg average if you check league numbers. So here's a guy getting 3rd line ice scoring at a top 6 clip.

This is the point the "throw him away with the sweetener" crowd don't get, that he's better than a cap dump. Also teams are just holding us hostage until the draft and ufa season are over. After that, they will be looking for players because they may not get the UFA's they want, at the same time we are out of the crazy season so haven't been to improve, so other team's leverage is gone.

Long story short, Garland has value, just not before UFA and the draft, where the financial flexibility we get is why teams hold us hostage.

In the end, its a 21 year old who may be showing he's not 1st overall talent at 0.42 ppg to a team in a rebuild on the fly, for a 27 year old 0.60 ppg player who's done most of that 5 on 5 and a team 'going for it' and who needs more scoring from the bottom 6.

To me it actually makes sense if NYR don't believe Laf is not much more than a 40-50 pt player.

Those are good points.  In a normal market where cap space is not as tight as it is now because of the fact the cap hasn't gone up in years, then yes I agree that Garland could easily be traded for a positive return.  Probably Beauvillier too and maybe even Boeser.  I think Myers would have some value too as a RHD.  In this cap climate however, money is tight and it's gonna be hard to move these contracts.

As you said, however, if teams don't get what they want in free agency then that is when the phone might start ringing.  So hopefully Allvin doesn't make a panic move and waits it out until other teams start calling...

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

If this proposed swap were to take place, I don't see how we don't add. It would be a cap dump and a young player with tons of upside. Doubt it happens. I would do this deal no questions asked if it were simply 1:1.

NY Rangers need more right wingers.  Lafreniere basically plays on their 3rd line.  Garland could play in the top 6 on the right side.  It's an interesting move.  Cap wise, Rangers couldn't do it one for one with zero retention unless they were able to move out Goodrow.  So maybe if they have another trade lined up with Goodrow they can make it work.  They also have Brennan Othmann in their system who is also a left winger, so they may be higher on him than on Lafreniere...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

NY Rangers need more right wingers.  Lafreniere basically plays on their 3rd line.  Garland could play in the top 6 on the right side.  It's an interesting move.  Cap wise, Rangers couldn't do it one for one with zero retention unless they were able to move out Goodrow.  So maybe if they have another trade lined up with Goodrow they can make it work.  They also have Brennan Othmann in their system who is also a left winger, so they may be higher on him than on Lafreniere...

I like my idea of helping them out with their cap. We take Goodrow and Laf, clearing cap for them, they get Garland and a prospect.  We get Laf for taking Goodrow off their hands.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those are good points.  In a normal market where cap space is not as tight as it is now because of the fact the cap hasn't gone up in years, then yes I agree that Garland could easily be traded for a positive return.  Probably Beauvillier too and maybe even Boeser.  I think Myers would have some value too as a RHD.  In this cap climate however, money is tight and it's gonna be hard to move these contracts.

As you said, however, if teams don't get what they want in free agency then that is when the phone might start ringing.  So hopefully Allvin doesn't make a panic move and waits it out until other teams start calling...

I would argue that many think there are still flat cap issues because 'in season' there were. If you look at how many trades happened in season there were very few for that reason (and alot of those trades were us!).

However, in the offseason, those issues decrease. Teams don't resign players, they may not get a UFA they want etc. In season people are up against the cap, off season cap room opens. Yes its not as good as a 5 mil cap increase but its also not as bad as in season because of player movement.

I 1000% believe teams are holding us hostage because they want to take advantage of our desire to improve THIS season. We aren't in cap hell, we can make minor moves and be compliant. That's why I am sure post Myers bonus, and post the draft and UFA season, teams will come back to us and say ok let's give you a 3rd for Garland....he's performing at a top 6 clip (albeit lower end) at a reasonable hit...its all the 'game' right now. I hope management is patient enough to wait it out. Nothing wrong with running it back for one more year. Let's not make a Benning error here

Edited by NuckLuck19
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1