The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion- garland and Miller trades.

With deadline just around corner teams are swirling. Teams are wanting miller and we traded a first round pick, 3rd and a goalie for a project player when we picked him up he was a 3rd line guy. Now that he is leading scorer canucks should be asking for a lot more, like another top scorer from another team or top d man. If teams can’t offer that then we shouldn’t trade him. As for garland he’s been another great addition and we paid a kings ransom for him and oel and oel is paid way too much so if we trade garland then again we need a kings random coming back. A couple picks is nothing. If we are looking for cap relief I said trade Myers or Pearson. What do u think?

Myers has been a difference maker under Boudreau.  Do not want to see him moved.  

If the Canucks trade Miller/Garland/Poolman/Hamonic, Canucks need to acquire either through trade or UFA:

a top 4 RH D and a top 9 C.  

EP, BH and another solid C would be great down the middle.  Re-sign Lammikko for 4th line C and we good.

Hughes/Myers

OEL/mobile RH

Rathbone/Schenn/Burroughs 

Lots of cap space and assets to figure out your wingers as well.

I wouldn't rule out Garland trade but only if it gets us an NHL player on a good contract or near NHL roster player to fill another area of need, like RD along with a first round pick.

I'm not trading Garland just for a B level prospect and a late 1st like what a lot of the contenders are going to offer. Garland for B. Schneider + 1st is something that I would consider. But otherwise, I'd rather keep Garland.

Miller needs to get us 3 pieces: a young roster player, prospect, and a 1st.

1st will be a late one so it may not be worth that much. A young roster player should be performing below Miller's current level hence, the contending team acquires Miller as an upgrade; but he should be able to fill a need on this team immediately so as to fill the void left by Miller be it on C or LW. The prospect should have high upside and should also fill a need in the future like RD.

I just don't get the sense that Miller wants to re-sign here. All the players that have re-signed in the past have given a strong indication of their desire to stay here. If he isn't going to re-sign, then we might as well maximize the return and that time is before TDL.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

There are a couple of things that Rutherford has been talking about

1. cap space
  2. filling holes in the line up

I think that long term, they're heavy on forwards and light on D.  I don't think that this is unusual.  

I can't tell which he would address first but he has said that cap space give a team the flexibility to make deals.  So maybe that's what they'll try to do first.  Cap flexibility.  Ironic that Benning was stuck on maxing out his use of the cap.

7 hours ago, khay said:

I wouldn't rule out Garland trade but only if it gets us an NHL player on a good contract or near NHL roster player to fill another area of need, like RD along with a first round pick.

I'm not trading Garland just for a B level prospect and a late 1st like what a lot of the contenders are going to offer. Garland for B. Schneider + 1st is something that I would consider. But otherwise, I'd rather keep Garland.

Miller needs to get us 3 pieces: a young roster player, prospect, and a 1st.

1st will be a late one so it may not be worth that much. A young roster player should be performing below Miller's current level hence, the contending team acquires Miller as an upgrade; but he should be able to fill a need on this team immediately so as to fill the void left by Miller be it on C or LW. The prospect should have high upside and should also fill a need in the future like RD.

I just don't get the sense that Miller wants to re-sign here. All the players that have re-signed in the past have given a strong indication of their desire to stay here. If he isn't going to re-sign, then we might as well maximize the return and that time is before TDL.

I am with you on that I also get the sense that Miller doesn’t want to re-sign here. So if there is no confirmation on that front, then the smartest thing to do is the move the asset for multiple assets coming back. I think it’s pretty much guaranteed that Miller is gone. He’ll be wearing a new uniform come late March. 

Garland to me, is a 50/50 chance he gets moved or remains a Canuck. I think management would be foolish to move him, because he’s on a great contract for the next 4 years at just under 5M. That’s pretty good value and worth for a top six player. And you need players like that on those kinds of contracts. One of the better contracts that Benning signed a player to. 

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

There are a couple of things that Rutherford has been talking about

1. cap space
  2. filling holes in the line up

I think that long term, they're heavy on forwards and light on D.  I don't think that this is unusual.  

I can't tell which he would address first but he has said that cap space give a team the flexibility to make deals.  So maybe that's what they'll try to do first.  Cap flexibility.  Ironic that Benning was stuck on maxing out his use of the cap.

I didn’t understand Benning’s strategy (if he had one…). Just because you have cap space, doesn’t mean you should use all of it. Especially given where the team is at in its competitive window and cycle. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Next 10 games will tell us if Canucks will hold or fold (trade). 

If we keep scratching and clawing for points, don't be surprised to see us do nothing.  

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I am with you on that I also get the sense that Miller doesn’t want to re-sign here. So if there is no confirmation on that front, then the smartest thing to do is the move the asset for multiple assets coming back. I think it’s pretty much guaranteed that Miller is gone. He’ll be wearing a new uniform come late March. 

Garland to me, is a 50/50 chance he gets moved or remains a Canuck. I think management would be foolish to move him, because he’s on a great contract for the next 4 years at just under 5M. That’s pretty good value and worth for a top six player. And you need players like that on those kinds of contracts. One of the better contracts that Benning signed a player to. 

I trust Allvin/Rutherford will be all over this already and will continue to work on it over the next few weeks. If they believe Miller will not resign then they will trade him. If they believe he will resign with VAN long term, then I believe they will make the cap space to keep him.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

I trust Allvin/Rutherford will be all over this already and will continue to work on it over the next few weeks. If they believe Miller will not resign then they will trade him. If they believe he will resign with VAN long term, then I believe they will make the cap space to keep him.

I guess we’ll see soon enough!

Garland isnt going anywhere as his cap hit will be an issue for most teams. Anaheim and Nashville would be the only teams that are competing that have space to add salary.

Miller could be traded but it all depends on the return.

Right now the only untradeable players from our standpoint are and should be Demko and Hughes.

Miller and Horvat to me are right there but depending on the return i would listen to any proposal but it would really have to bl,ow the socks off to move them

Everyone else including Petterson  should be on the table. More likely players to be traded are Boeser, Motte(only because he will be in high demand) and backup goalies Halak and even Martin.

Its hard to deal from weakness. We are not a first place team with teams lining up to take our players outside of our best players and they have to be able to take on extra salary as well.Its up to Allvin and Rutherford at this point and we will see what they want to do. The only thing is if you move Miller you may as well move Horvat also and start looking for younger players to take their roles on.

The next couple months will tell us what direction they are heading in. If we can close the gap on the teams ahead of us I believe they will stay with the current roster.

I also get the sense that Miller may not want to re-sign, but there's a lot of smoke, mirrors and misdirection at this time of year as part of the bargaining process over trades and extensions. 

The recent addition of Garland to the rumour mill is particularly hard to read.  Does management really not like the player, or the player at that salary?  Hard to believe given their stated quest for speed up front, but maybe.  Is it a way of creating leverage in prospective Miller trades (i.e. "fine, we won't trade him then and can move someone else to get what we want")?  Or of creating cap space to sign him?  A straight-up hockey trade might be the least likely scenario with Garland. 

Miller needs to be traded. He isn't going to re-sign in Vancouver long term it's best to move him this year and get a larger return as he still has term left. I'd personally keep Garland but I understand cap space is needed to add/improve that horrendous d-core. I have a feeling moves will be made soon and the majority of people on this board are going to lose their minds.. I can't wait! 

Edited by North Kariya
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

As much as I'd hate to trade Garland, he's our most valuable piece next to Miller.

Would only trade him if we're getting a similar aged already established second pair RD in return.

Miller, given his contract situation, will likely go to a contender which probably means more youth pieces, like a 1st + A prospect + "B" piece.

9 minutes ago, hero11 said:

If Canucks can trade away Garland, Pearson, Poolman and Dickenson  that would free up $14-$15 million in cap space.

Valuable cap space!

Any pieces coming back would be a bonus.

Since when did just over 13 become 14-15? More to the point you'd have 4 holes you'd need to fill so that's at least 4 million back on the cap. All in you're probably left with less than 9 million and the team would be worse. Cap space is useful, but I'd want an actual return for Garland at least.