The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Core Player NEEDS to be traded...

Rate this topic

HKSR

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

If Benning wasn't so "stupid" we wouldn't have Miller now, to sell for all those assets, that are worth far more than we paid to obtain him.

Well, hindsight is nice. B)

A different strategy would have been safer and not so stressed/stupid. 

But no complaint from me. 

Bennings strategy got both him and Green sacked. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Who knows since the result were to be visible in 2-7 years…

If we were to have simply used the Miller 1st round pick, we'd have missed Schneider as he was taken one pick ahead. 

If we can get something like Chytil, Schneider and a first for Miller, We'd end up with a better prospect, an additional young F and another, replacement pick.

More fruitful.

On 2/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, HKSR said:

Here's what a 4 year plan COULD look like keeping everybody we have and yet still upgrading our defence on the right hand side.

Shows we don't NEED to trade anybody in the core and still be able to improve our roster.  Hamonic should be back next year with covid hopefully in the rear view mirror.  He walks and then we can make our UFA signing of a stay at home RHD like Mayfield for 2023-24.

Re-signings

JT Mller at $8.5M AAV

Boeser at $7.25M AAV

Bo at $7.25M AAV

Petey at $8.5M AAV

Motte at $2M AAV

Hogs at $3M AAV (bridge)

Podz at $3M AAV (bridge)

Trades and Movement

Pearson traded by 2023-24

Dickinson traded by 2023-24

Poolman traded by 2023-24

Lockwood, Rathbone, and Klimovich/Karlsson joins the team

UFA Signing in 2023-24:  Scott Mayfield or equivalent RHD for $4.5M AAV

Cap-4RHD.jpg.1ca43510f51a1cb033c6f87bcf13505f.jpg

Lines by 2023-24:

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Podz-Miller-Motte

Garland-Bo-Klimovich

ELC/4F-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Mayfield

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko

EDIT:  If you're interested, I did the same exercise assuming Miller is traded for Chytil and Schneider here for comparison:

Will depend on what, is the perceived timeline of the core by the front office; and who they will consider to be the core.   Yzerman, traded Mantha, at age 25 cause he didn't matched his timeline for the roster, did not want to carry his cap; and sold high, on Mantha.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we were to have simply used the Miller 1st round pick, we'd have missed Schneider as he was taken one pick ahead. 

If we can get something like Chytil, Schneider and a first for Miller, We'd end up with a better prospect, an additional young F and another, replacement pick.

More fruitful.

Let's see first what happens.

Plus we don't know wich players Benning would gave picked of the at least 2 1st and a 2nd.

Here's what a 4 year plan COULD look like keeping everybody we have and yet still upgrading our defence on the right hand side.

Shows we don't NEED to trade anybody in the core and still be able to improve our roster.  Hamonic should be back next year with covid hopefully in the rear view mirror.  He walks and then we can make our UFA signing of a stay at home RHD like Mayfield for 2023-24.

Re-signings

JT Mller at $8.5M AAV

Boeser at $7.25M AAV

Bo at $7.25M AAV

Petey at $8.5M AAV

Motte at $2M AAV

Hogs at $3M AAV (bridge)

Podz at $3M AAV (bridge)

Trades and Movement

Lines by 2023-24:

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Podz-Miller-Motte

Garland-Bo-Klimovich

ELC/4F-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Mayfield

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko

EDIT:  If you're interested, I did the same exercise assuming Miller is traded for Chytil and Schneider here for comparison:

I’d think Demko is more of a core player than Boeser. I wouldn’t even consider Brock a core player, he can easily be replaced in free agency. 20 goal wingers are a dime a dozen. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I’d think Demko is more of a core player than Boeser. I wouldn’t even consider Brock a core player, he can easily be replaced in free agency. 20 goal wingers are a dime a dozen. 

Agree.  I've seen nothing of Boeser to suggest an upward trajectory in terms of being an all-rounder with more versatility.  $5.5M/yr would make him a great asset, but not $7.5M/yr+.  Trading Boeser is absolutely the right thing to do for the future of this club.  

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree.  I've seen nothing of Boeser to suggest an upward trajectory in terms of being an all-rounder with more versatility.  $5.5M/yr would make him a great asset, but not $7.5M/yr+.  Trading Boeser is absolutely the right thing to do for the future of this club.  

What about Boeser at 6 mil, and a long term of 6,7, or 8 years?  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about Boeser at 6 mil, and a long term of 6,7, or 8 years?  

Yup.....but would depend on the return in a possible trade of course.  If he could be turned into a couple of young guys that outperform their salary in areas of need for this team, that can't be ignored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Brock isnt a core player.

Not too sure what ppl are watching.  All i see is a slow and soft player that gets easily pushed off the puck and cant skate with the puck.  4 of the goals hes scored since bruce got here just happened to hit his stick.  2 others were shots that were going completey wide and deflected in.  

Wingers like Forsberg, Stone, Kaprizov, Raantenan, Huberdeau are core players..  Boeser is a 2nd liner that gets every chance under the sun to put up points yet doesnt. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/2/2022 at 2:43 PM, Maddogy said:

As I mentioned in other threads, the biggest hockey mistake made by J.B. and the ownership was to bet on the core players (especially Pettersson and Boeser) as well as some of our young players (e.g. Virtanen and Gaudette) to take the next step in their development and put the team on their shoulders. Pettersson and Boeser have failed miserably not as young players but as franchise players. Had J.B. and ownership known that their bet was premature they would have taken a very different approach. 

If J.B. ever gets another G.M. job he would likely preach patience to the ownership even if the core players on that team have exceeded expectations early on. 

As I have mentioned in previous threads Ol Jimmer was too impatient

You mentioned Gaudette and i would add Nic Petan as another guy who performed well in preseason and did not live up to Jim's hype

Funny you mention Gaudette though  as he is scoring at the same rate as most of our core this season.

PPG + or + than Bo, Pete, Garly and Boes

I guess the crystals are working for him 

On 2/2/2022 at 3:41 PM, Rabbit said:

I am also not confidence to our cores.

Miller need be traded for players who can play good with Pettersson.  Pettersson has no confidence at this moment, we need someone to help him, expect he has much higher performance.

Boser is our shooter, I prefer to keep him.

We might trade Garland if the return is in good RD.

Bo is our captain, should keep him in the roster.

What? so the one change you want to make is trade our leading scorer

if Boes is our shooter, he needs a shooter tudor

Petterssson skates himself into trouble and falls down, how is that his linemates fault?

our 1/2ppg captain

Ok you might trade Garland the 1/2 ppg mighty mouse, I don't see Garland as a core player

On 2/2/2022 at 8:59 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree in principle with only those 4 players being the theoretical core.  However, as I've previously mentioned, only QH & Demko will likely be considered untouchable.  Although EP40 has shown enourmous potential back in the 2019 season, he has fallen off the rails and regressed significantly.   Gods know why and I'd love nothing more for him to regain his stature but it is possible that JR shows no further patience and cashes out on him now - if he feels that this is all we'll get out of him ever again.    I would not be shocked is he's traded but hoping they give him another year to see if the damage T. green caused him (like sooooo many others) is irreversable and permanent. 

As for Bo, the only reason I say he's not untouchable is that JR and Co. may decide that given the massive change in direction of the management, that a leadership change is also required for a "fresh start" with the rest of changes that are likely coming.   However, they may stay the course with him if they feel that his leadership abilities are in sync with where they want this franchise to go, especially given the $ that will be freed up if he's traded and the good return they'll get back for him.   Love the guy as a person, but we all have to admit that he sort of got that "C" by default when the Sedins retired and he was about the only guy they could give it to.   So don't be surprised if he's gone too. 

I could totally see Horvat excel if he is traded

Like you said he was the default captain, really from the day he was drafted

I don't think that was ever a good thing

If he is traded the pressure would be off and he could just go play

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, Boeser was probably our best forward last year and it may be a blessing in disguise he's having an off year (and not alone), in a contract year.

Pettersson and Hughes haven't even sniffed their primes yet, so far too early to lament their career trajectories. And I think Hughes has proven this season, there's very little to worry about regarding him. Other than obtaining some more help for him on the right side.

As for Pettersson, he missed half of last season with injury, likely a lot of offseason training because of it, and then camp. And people are shocked he's having a down year...? Up until that point he was a record breaking, Calder winning phenom that had the entire league buzzing. And now he's a bust..? Ok.

Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and Horvat are the core. Management's job is to now throw everything they can at supporting their contention window, 2-7 years from now. 

I don't think any of our young core are real busts, they've all produced well and played well at times. My concern is this - is this core we have as good as other team's young cores? For example, is Pettersson as good as Barkov? Is Hughes as good as Ekblad? Simple answer is no.

Do they have to be? Probably not, but they have to be as good as the young cores they'll be contending against in a few years time. My main concern with this core is the playoffs, to we have the toughness and size to contend against taking a battering? Hughes is a small guy who is going to get targetted physically in a 7 game series big time. Pettersson the same. We saw Vegas grind them down in the playoffs, and many teams will do just this to our core. That's why I quite like Miller - he's a big, strong top line center who can take a beating and still score.

Hughes has been brilliant defensively this season, he's really used his skating and positioning well to beat out a lot of good forwards. But how is his small frame going to last 7 games x several series against big strong forwards hitting him into the boards every time he goes back for the puck? 

I think we need a big, strong, two-way defender in that core who can complement Hughes and draw attention away from him. We need a guy like Myers or a rich-man's Schenn in our prospect pool to insert into this young core. Rathbone is not the answer.

As for top-line centers, you live and die by yours. Petey has shown he can be pretty good defensively in his rookie year but that dropped off a lot lately. Is he as good defensively as the Cup-winning centers like Bergeron/Krejci, Kopitar and Toews? You need a solid two-way top line center because they're the ones matched up against opposing team's top units all the time.

• Cheers 2

Re-signings

JT Mller at $8.5M AAV

Boeser at $7.25M AAV

Bo at $7.25M AAV

Petey at $8.5M AAV

Motte at $2M AAV

Hogs at $3M AAV (bridge)

Podz at $3M AAV (bridge)

Trades and Movement

Lines by 2023-24:

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Podz-Miller-Motte

Garland-Bo-Klimovich

ELC/4F-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Mayfield

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Demko

Imo, the core of this team is:

Miller 

Petey

Horvat

Garland

Hughes

Demko

Discussions on trades can be had about anyone else on the roster but, for me, these are my untouchables.

Motte at $2M AAV

Wait what?  You don't pay 4th liners 2M, and in 4 years he will less effective because I doubt he will have his speed or be able to play that agressive.

And we have this core already, how well is it doing?  What makes you think it'll suddenly become better?

On 2/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Apparently, Dhaliwal reported a little while ago that JR met with Miller and Boeser camps yesterday, to get an idea what kinds of re-signing deals they want. Seems Miller is wanting 5-6 years at well over $7. 

So, Miller will be 35-36 when his next deal ends?  I don't like it, he'll be too old to be paying that kind of money to. The Canucks aren't in a position to go for it. 

Do you have a source or link or something to this affect - google search is like going through mud - so many suppositions out there just like the CDC lol.   Would be cool to know this happened....

18 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They need to put an internal team salary cap in place for 3rd line center (3 million), 3rd line wingers (2.5 million), 4th line forwards (2 million), and bottom pairing Dmen (2 Million). Overpaid depth players have hurt us a lot during Bennings time. 

You bet.   JBs biggest failure was his timing.    Didn't like being a cap team when what we needed was a future.