The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JR speaks again... speed and skill? Balanced scoring?

Rate this topic

HKSR

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

he made it abundantly clear... The Canucks will not be trading any major pieces ala Miller/Boeser as long as the Canucks are in the mix for the playoffs.

First, this is the fatal mistake that Benning was guilty of (admittedly he had his orders from Aquillini) which kept us in perpetual mediocrity. 

Second, are we actually in contention - we've played more games than most any other team on the playoff bubble right now and yeah, we're winning a few but how many things have to happen for this club to make it?

Third, even if this club makes the playoffs, what use is a first or second round exit - Benning used to say it was critical to get the young guys some experience, they have that now so.......

• Cheers 3

Just now, Fanuck said:

First, this is the fatal mistake that Benning was guilty of (admittedly he had his orders from Aquillini) which kept us in perpetual mediocrity. 

Second, are we actually in contention - we've played more games than most any other team on the playoff bubble right now and yeah, we're winning a few but how many things have to happen for this club to make it?

Third, even if this club makes the playoffs, what use is a first or second round exit - Benning used to say it was critical to get the young guys some experience, they have that now so.......

To be fair, that's not EXACTLY what JR said... he said more along the lines of what I iterated in my OP.  The HFBoards guy interpreted it a bit differently. 

I think it's more along the lines of keeping enough of the good players on this team to remain competitive and bring in some young guys to transition in.  Doesn't mean Boeser and Miller won't be traded. 

Wish I could find a link to the whole interview.  It'd be a lot more clear. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To be fair, that's not EXACTLY what JR said... he said more along the lines of what I iterated in my OP.  The HFBoards guy interpreted it a bit differently. 

I think it's more along the lines of keeping enough of the good players on this team to remain competitive and bring in some young guys to transition in.  Doesn't mean Boeser and Miller won't be traded. 

Wish I could find a link to the whole interview.  It'd be a lot more clear. 

Even if he does intend on trading Miller... you don't annonuce the plan to the public... it creates a media circus.  If teams know we are fine to keep Miller, they will need to up the ante if they want to pry him away... I take anything said with a grain of salt.

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So anyways, I think we're barking up the wrong tree here... after those comments, I think we see young forwards coming back more than young defencemen.

Perhaps he targets young D who need time/seasoning? Thus he's okay with the current D, yet as their contracts elapse, he blends in the newly acquired(over 2-3 yrs) ones.

• Vintage 1

What I dont get about the previous regime is you have 2 smallish sized forwards in the lineup - maybe 3 - Highmore, Garland and Hoglander. You won't win championships without a balacne of skill, speed and snarl/size!

I get Boeser going, and if there's a haul for Miller/Horvat, do that too...but is JR and Co following the same Benning drum now?

Ah so i guess he's shipping out Pearson (again) and probably Dickinson.

Looks like Garland isn't going anywhere.

Maybe Boeser goes?

Tinkering on Blue line, no overhaul, going to build around OEL. Hopefully ships out Pool guy and gets a decent stay at home shutdown guy.

• Like 1

"Working with" this defence group probably means working with Hughes, OEL, and Myers.  Everybody else is up for debate.

Sounds like his focus is on the forwards though.  The slower guys are gonna be moved... Boeser, Pearson, etc.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

What I dont get about the previous regime is you have 2 smallish sized forwards in the lineup - maybe 3 - Highmore, Garland and Hoglander. You won't win championships without a balacne of skill, speed and snarl/size!

I get Boeser going, and if there's a haul for Miller/Horvat, do that too...but is JR and Co following the same Benning drum now?

Horvat has both speed and skill.  Plus he's our captain, he's great on faceoffs, plays in all situations and is 210 pounds and can drop them on occasion.  He would be one of the last players to be traded along with Demko, Hughes and Petey...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

"Working with" this defence group probably means working with Hughes, OEL, and Myers.  Everybody else is up for debate.

Sounds like his focus is on the forwards though.  The slower guys are gonna be moved... Boeser, Pearson, etc.

He can also work with Hamonic, Schenn and Poolman.  The problem is not actually the defence, it's the lack of speed that doesn't allow us to play puck possession and pressure the other defencemen.  Look at Florida's defence.  They don't have Norris trophy candidates on there other than Ekblad.  Heck they have 2 of our leftovers playing in their top 6.  But their forward group has tons of speed and skill which is how they dominate.  Same with Carolina.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1