The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Seattle Kraken at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, khay said:

I'm less worried about attaining balance because I think it's possible, although not easy as we are cap crunched. And yeah, I agree with you that there is very little chance of him coming in at 8 mil. Right now, I see the chance of him coming in at or under 8 mil as less than 1%. That's why I think we move on from him in the off season. The Rangers will lose Strome in the summer and they can more than replace him with Miller from us at 50% retained as long as they give us what we want (Schneider + 1st + forward).

Danault signed for 5.5 mil as a UFA. So Horvat at 6.5 mil seems reasonable. Considering the tough minutes that Bo would take on if he re-signs, I think 6.5 mil is fair even if he is penciled in as a 3C.

The issue with Horvat is that he is not a possession player and not a great PKer so 6.5 mil may be a bit much for such a player. 

I do agree that the most likely route is to trade either Bo or Miller. Bo seems more loyal to the Canucks while Miller is the better player. I think it all hinges on whether Miller wants to re-sign and if so, what cost. 

And EP is not established as a reliable 1C just yet. So ideally, we need another center between or ahead of EP and Horvat if we want to remain competitive. The moment we trade Miller, we lose one of our strengths, which is the depth down the middle.

they do, for sure and losing Miller will hurt for a bit.  However, they will have the cap space to sign someone or they might get a 3C in a Miller deal

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, khay said:

I'm less worried about attaining balance because I think it's possible, although not easy as we are cap crunched. And yeah, I agree with you that there is very little chance of him coming in at 8 mil. Right now, I see the chance of him coming in at or under 8 mil as less than 1%. That's why I think we move on from him in the off season. The Rangers will lose Strome in the summer and they can more than replace him with Miller from us at 50% retained as long as they give us what we want (Schneider + 1st + forward).

Danault signed for 5.5 mil as a UFA. So Horvat at 6.5 mil seems reasonable. Considering the tough minutes that Bo would take on if he re-signs, I think 6.5 mil is fair even if he is penciled in as a 3C.

The issue with Horvat is that he is not a possession player and not a great PKer so 6.5 mil may be a bit much for such a player. 

I do agree that the most likely route is to trade either Bo or Miller. Bo seems more loyal to the Canucks while Miller is the better player. I think it all hinges on whether Miller wants to re-sign and if so, what cost. 

And EP is not established as a reliable 1C just yet. So ideally, we need another center between or ahead of EP and Horvat if we want to remain competitive. The moment we trade Miller, we lose one of our strengths, which is the depth down the middle.

"Bo seems more loyal to the Canucks while Miller is the better player. I think it all hinges on whether Miller wants to re-sign and if so, what cost. "

This.

IMO, MIller is more valuable to the team's winning. And is more of an inspiration to younger players like Petey and Hughes. Or looking at it from the other side, the player who Petey and Hughes would most be upset with leaving.

But it all comes down to if he wants to stay here. As an American, and having lived through Bennings incompetence in losing so much of our best veteran core for nothing a couple seasons ago, to the ongoing COVID border issues, I could understand him wanting to play somewhere in the US.  Especially for a contending team.

But if......IF......he really does love the city, and does see progress in the team, and does want to be a part of the journey towards being a contender here, and if its between him and Bo?   No debate. We move Bo. Not for a bag of pucks obviously, we'd still have to get a good haul. But for all the talk of building a "culture" and retaining players with "character" we just can't let Miller go if he is actually willing to stay here.  But that is the 8 million dollar question.

I definitely don't want JR to be in any kind of hurry. I think we need to wait until the summer to decide on JT.  I really don't think you'd get that much less of a return than if you traded him before the TD this year.  He may not even know himself about staying until at least the summer, and he looks at the roster, and what JR did since then with it.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Back then there wasn't any pandemic concerns - and his long term deal as in 8 years was somewhere in that range.   Nobody was that disappointed by it, seemed like a fair deal at the time.   Meir got more years and what was it - a 10 million dollar QO offer?  If the cap kept going up it didn't seem all that bad.   Now it does of course.    Most contract reviews don't think he will sign a long term deal at that rate anywhere ... pretty easy to see why, his comps are 7-8.5% of the cap, and it's still got a couple years to go before it goes up more then one million a season.   5.5-6.5 seems to be about right.   All depends on term.   

I was.

it was a contract that was designed to walk him to free agency if he did not significantly increase his point production

So now here we are and Boeser looks like a free agent rental on the trade market at 24 years of age

I don't know what you expected, but this is exactly what I thought would happen the day that contract was presented

anyone holding his rights have the choice to overpay or let Brock walk

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think there are a total of three untouchables, one for each position:

Forward: Pettersson

Defence: Hughes

Goaltender: Demko

100% agree, to me there's also a second tier as well of young players who look to play a big part of this team's future:

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Rathbone

The development and progression of these three will be pretty vital. Especially if management takes a speed and youth approach, I really hope they do it right with these 3. Not saying they are untouchable... but one would think close to?

Edited by Harold Drunken

5 hours ago, Rdog said:

So, does anyone else feel that Mr. Harmonic, is completely uninterested in being here. The guys are clearly trying to make him feel included, and his responses is like ,"Meh"?!? If he's not fully completely dedicated and stoked to give it all with this team then please, just go. I'd rather see someone who feels it's a privilege to be where he is . Enjoy it Travis, you're a lucky man. 

I think he's just a very understated personality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

"Bo seems more loyal to the Canucks while Miller is the better player. I think it all hinges on whether Miller wants to re-sign and if so, what cost. "

This.

IMO, MIller is more valuable to the team's winning. And is more of an inspiration to younger players like Petey and Hughes. Or looking at it from the other side, the player who Petey and Hughes would most be upset with leaving.

But it all comes down to if he wants to stay here. As an American, and having lived through Bennings incompetence in losing so much of our best veteran core for nothing a couple seasons ago, to the ongoing COVID border issues, I could understand him wanting to play somewhere in the US.  Especially for a contending team.

But if......IF......he really does love the city, and does see progress in the team, and does want to be a part of the journey towards being a contender here, and if its between him and Bo?   No debate. We move Bo. Not for a bag of pucks obviously, we'd still have to get a good haul. But for all the talk of building a "culture" and retaining players with "character" we just can't let Miller go if he is actually willing to stay here.  But that is the 8 million dollar question.

I definitely don't want JR to be in any kind of hurry. I think we need to wait until the summer to decide on JT.  I really don't think you'd get that much less of a return than if you traded him before the TD this year.  He may not even know himself about staying until at least the summer, and he looks at the roster, and what JR did since then with it.

Sell at the deadline/draft, grab a bunch of prospects and picks, make a ton of cap space, go fishing in the 2022 UFA pool. There are some gems like Domi, Smith, and Rust. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

A lot of Jim Rutherford trades when he was GM of the Hurricanes involved eventual Canucks legends.

Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Zac Dalpe
Jeremy Welsh
September 29, 2013
Kellan Tochkin
2014 4th round pick
Carolina_Hurricanes.gif
Carolina Hurricanes acquire Date Pittsburgh Penguins acquire
Carolina_Hurricanes.gif Jordan Staal
June 22, 2012
Brandon Sutter
2012 1st round pick (#8-Derrick Pouliot)
Brian Dumoulin
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif
Florida Panthers acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Florida_Panthers.gif Sergei Samsonov
February 28, 2011
Bryan Allen Carolina_Hurricanes.gif
Carolina Hurricanes acquire Date New York Rangers acquire
Carolina_Hurricanes.gif Bobby Sanguinetti
June 26, 2010
2010 6th round pick (#157-Jesper Fasth)
2011 2nd round pick (#57-Tyler Wotherspoon)
New_York_Rangers.gif
Washington Capitals acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Washington_Capitals.gif Scott Walker
March 3, 2010
2010 7th round pick (#206-Ricard Blidstrand) Carolina_Hurricanes.gif

Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Andrew Alberts
March 3, 2010
2010 3rd round pick (#85-Austin Levi)

Carolina_Hurricanes.gif

Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Wade Brookbank
Josef Melichar
2009 4th round pick (pick forfeited)
February 7, 2009
Jussi Jokinen Carolina_Hurricanes.gif
Carolina Hurricanes acquire Date New York Rangers acquire
Carolina_Hurricanes.gif 2008 conditional 5th round pick (if Isbister plays more than 40 games in the remaining 06-07 season) (not exercised)
rights to Jakub Petruzalek
November 21, 2006
Brad Isbister New_York_Rangers.gif
Chicago Blackhawks acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif Radim Vrbata
December 30, 2005
2006 4th round pick (#99-James Reimer))
future considerations (2007 4th round pick (#96-Cade Fairchild) received as part of future trade for Danny Richmond)
Carolina_Hurricanes.gif
Columbus Blue Jackets acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Columbus_Blue_Jackets.gif Arturs Irbe
June 16, 2004
future considerations Carolina_Hurricanes.gif

So... Irbe was technically a member of the Blue Jackets. I'll be darned. :lol:

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1