The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Predators shopping Filip Forsberg

Forsberg on this team is a 80-90 point player. He has 26 goals on Nashville that is routinely a pretty stingy defensive minded team. 26 goals and 18 assists? His assist numbers go way up playing with a Miller, Petey, or Horvat. But trading for or signing Forsberg literally ends Boeser's time here. Garland is cheaper and does it all. Boeser for that sought after mid 20s RHD, Forsberg to replace him, Myers for whatever we can get as long as they take his entire cap.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

If the Canucks are allowed to talk to Forsberg to get an idea of what they want contract wise and if he has any interest in signing here, then perhaps something like this: 

Van gives: 

JT Miller 

3rd round pick

Nash gives:

Forsberg

1st 

This gives Nashville a point per game center/winger (at a great cap hit) for 2 playoff runs for a team in the age range to be competing. If they aren't looking to resign Forsberg they'll lose him anyway in a few months. This is why they add the 1st round pick, because at the moment comparing JT Miller and Forsberg you gotta give the edge to JT being a center and signed for another year at a great price. 

For Canucks they get a 27 year old scorer that we then sign for 6-7 years around 7-8 million I'd guess. Add another middle/late 1st round pick. 

Assets could be better served trading for  youth. He doesn’t fit the window if we’re retooling to a younger team. I’d risk leaving it and trying to sign him in the offseason. It would cost a pretty penny right now to get him under contract when he could possibly cash in as UFA.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Assets could be better served trading for  youth. He doesn’t fit the window if we’re retooling to a younger team. I’d risk leaving it and trying to sign him in the offseason. It would cost a pretty penny right now to get him under contract when he could possibly cash in as UFA.

Yeah fair if the aim is to have players more around 23-25 years old then maybe Forsberg falls out of that range as well (kinda like JT). He is 27 and will be 28 next season, so my thought was sign him for 6-7 years which will run him until 33-34 years old. If the team is confident of no major falloff production wise for the majority of that contract then he could be a valuable add. 

All this is dependent on him wanting to sign here of course and the price range (I'd be interested for sure if he wants to sign for 6years at 7-7.5 million)

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Yeah fair if the aim is to have players more around 23-25 years old then maybe Forsberg falls out of that range as well (kinda like JT). He is 27 and will be 28 next season, so my thought was sign him for 6-7 years which will run him until 33-34 years old. If the team is confident of no major falloff production wise for the majority of that contract then he could be a valuable add. 

All this is dependent on him wanting to sign here of course and the price range (I'd be interested for sure if he wants to sign for 6years at 7-7.5 million)

Yeah i hear ya. imho I think he’ll fetch 8-8.5mill per, maybe even a bit more,  as UFA. Definitely worth that for the right team who is positioned, with him, to contend.

He’d help us for sure but we’re just not there right now. Would love to see him with EP though. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Yeah i hear ya. imho I think he’ll fetch 8-8.5mill per, maybe even a bit more,  as UFA. Definitely worth that for the right team who is positioned, with him, to contend.

He’d help us for sure but we’re just not there right now. Would love to see him with EP though. 

Yeah totally fair. 

At that price (which is very possible and may be what he's looking for) I agree it's better for Van to pass then and if they move Miller do it for 1 or 2 promising young prospects (preferably D) and a pick or two. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Provost said:

Probably cheaper than Miller by a little.

More like a Boeser QO replacement in terms of dollars I would think. 

The calculus though would be… how much better off would you be with Schneider, Kravtsov, a 1st round pick, and Forsberg… than you would be to re-sign Miller at the same cap hit?

Miller is probably slightly better than Forsberg mainly because he cha play centre.  Miller is not better than his trade value PLUS Forsberg.

Yeah. That makes sense. 

We’d definitely be better of with a package of prospects and picks coming back AND getting Forsberg if we can land him. The thing with UFA’s is that we’d have to overpay for them. The Canucks aren’t contenders, so I doubt that Forsberg takes a discount to play here. 

16 hours ago, RWJC said:

Yeah, I think Forsberg will get $8.5M or so over 6 or 7 years. 

17 hours ago, Bobby James said:

Yeah totally fair. 

At that price (which is very possible and may be what he's looking for) I agree it's better for Van to pass then and if they move Miller do it for 1 or 2 promising young prospects (preferably D) and a pick or two. 

Get a crap tonne of assets for Miller, Boeser and Myers, (including some top 4 RHD) while clearing cap, use that cap to sign Forsberg...

Wouldn't be awful and would accomplish the younger, cheaper, faster...

5 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Not even for Boeser+? With a signed UFA deal for Forsberg? Be hard not to consider it...

if the team's stated goal is getting younger and cheaper, how does going older and more expensive move in that direction?

3 hours ago, tas said:

if the team's stated goal is getting younger and cheaper, how does going older and more expensive move in that direction?

Assuming both a Miller and Boeser trade I'd guess. If Miller returns players younger, cheaper (and faster) than Boeser, and you replace Miller with Forsberg... On aggregate, you get younger, faster and cheaper.  Forsberg's next deal is likely less than Miller's, and with more likely years of peak productivity.

That said, I'd prefer just moving both for the appropriate returns and take my chances in free agency (Forsberg or otherwise), or a capped out team jettisoning a good, young'ish player for cheap (how we got Miller in the first place).

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

On 2/25/2022 at 4:24 PM, tas said:

If I recall the comments Rutherford made were that we were not a fast team and needed to shed some cap space...

Boeser is slow... And Boeser will cost just about as much as Forsberg... You are correct he is two years older than Boeser though

I think Forsberg is the better player though, in his prime, depends on where the Canucks feel they are development wise I guess

9 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

If I recall the comments Rutherford made were that we were not a fast team and needed to shed some cap space...

Boeser is slow... And Boeser will cost just about as much as Forsberg... You are correct he is two years older than Boeser though

I think Forsberg is the better player though, in his prime, depends on where the Canucks feel they are development wise I guess

Boeser is not going to get between 8-9M.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Boeser's QO is like 7.5 mill? something like that, I can't recall.

Doesn't mean he's getting that kind of contract.  A team has to be willing to qualify him at that amount and there might not be any, with the risk that he signs that 1-year deal.  Forsberg is a UFA producing upwards of PPG and already has 27 goals on the season.  

• Cheers 1

On 2/24/2022 at 10:22 AM, appleboy said:

If they are looking to trade Filip that means they know he will not resign. He may be looking to go to open market. Maybe he wants to play on a Canadian Swedish team.

You mean a US/Swede team, playing in Canada ....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Doesn't mean he's getting that kind of contract.  A team has to be willing to qualify him at that amount and there might not be any, with the risk that he signs that 1-year deal.  Forsberg is a UFA producing upwards of PPG and already has 27 goals on the season.  

And if he isn't qualified - he becomes a UFA...  feel the team won't have much choice but take him to arbitration.   Too bad covid and the new rules regarding that kind of screwed us.   Brock for sure is a good support player at the very least - and still could be a core player depending how things go from here.    Still don't know why if he wants to stay, why he wouldn't sign a deal that's in his range of comps.    That's not top dollar.  Kind of sucks but we might have to trade him to keep the space for other players.   Isn't Brock a UFA after next season too or do i have the math wrong on that one?   

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

And if he isn't qualified - he becomes a UFA...  feel the team won't have much choice but take him to arbitration.   Too bad covid and the new rules regarding that kind of screwed us.   Brock for sure is a good support player at the very least - and still could be a core player depending how things go from here.    Still don't know why if he wants to stay, why he wouldn't sign a deal that's in his range of comps.    That's not top dollar.  Kind of sucks but we might have to trade him to keep the space for other players.   Isn't Brock a UFA after next season too or do i have the math wrong on that one?   

Two more seasons IIRC.