The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

16 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

Alf, hypothetical question. 

Would you be ok to use our 2 1sts to dumparoo bonzai Myers, OEL and Garland?

Nobody should be okay with that.

Garland is tradeable, even if you have to retain 20%. OEL is a buyout guy in 2-3 years, or whenever this team is actually competitive. Myers for whatever reason seems to have teams interested, and it's easy enough to retain salary on him for this year and next.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Nobody should be okay with that.

Garland is tradeable, even if you have to retain 20%. OEL is a buyout guy in 2-3 years, or whenever this team is actually competitive. Myers for whatever reason seems to have teams interested, and it's easy enough to retain salary on him for this year and next.

Why you ruining our fun my guy?

Also, nobody should be ok with that... so there is a chance FA requests it then...

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not liquidation mode specifically, we had a lot of talent, but we need to redistribute our lineup. We don't have the right mix here, but we do have enough core talent to compete.

Disagree 

hughes ep maybe Kuz are the core talent that’s not enough 

miller will age out before we’re competitive 

we have talent to stay just good enough to stay bad. 

All our middle-6 guys with big money (and Myers) ought to go.

49 minutes ago, rekker said:

If it's Toronto, Holl will be coming this way. That's not good. 

I'd rather Holl at $2 million and say Kerfoot at $3.5 million (much easier to move) than one Myers at $6 million.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

All our middle-6 guys with big money (and Myers) ought to go.

I'd rather Holl at $2 million and say Kerfoot at $3.5 million (much easier to move) than one Myers at $6 million.

Nah, you keep Myers until next year and trade him at the deadline with 50% retained (Pending UFA next year). Myers at 3 million is worth a decent return for a contending team. His 5 million dollar bonus will also not be an issue at that time, as it will be paid. 

Edited by MattWN.

35 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Nah, you keep Myers until next year and trade him at the deadline with 50% retained (Pending UFA next year). Myers at 3 million is worth a decent return for a contending team. His 5 million dollar bonus will also not be an issue at that time, as it will be paid. 

Holl's a pending UFA now at $2 million and having a solid season (6'4", 210 lb.; 53 GP, 2-9-11, +12, 21:32 in TOI, also on PK 1) whereas Myers (49 GP, 1-9-10, -7, 20:50 TOI; PK 1 but we know how Chaotic he is) can be a tire fire in his own zone, and you're correct in saying that he has 1 more year.  Why would you not trade him for a pending UFA who would likely still re-sign for cheaper than what we costs now and for a more reliable player?  Kerfoot's also a pending UFA ($3.5 milion off the books, 23 points in 53 games, plays both PP and PK, +8) and if his scoring and faceoffs (44.8%) aren't up to snuff we can just let him walk and free up all that money to find a replacement.  If the goal is to free up cap space at most in this case we'd only need to retain $500k on Myers to fit both these guys, so I think we'd be silly not to move him now (could probably also flip Kerfoot say for a 3rd this year).  There's no guarantee that even as a pending UFA Myers will perform to be worth that return either.   

Presuming we move and then re-sign Schenn, doesn't this look pretty good?  We'd have a good mix of defensive and roving D-men on each pair.
Hughes - Bear

OEL - Schenn
Rathbone(?) - Holl

Edited by Phil_314

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Holl's a pending UFA now at $2 million and having a solid season (6'4", 210 lb.; 53 GP, 2-9-11, +12, 21:32 in TOI, also on PK 1) whereas Myers (49 GP, 1-9-10, -7, 20:50 TOI; PK 1 but we know how Chaotic he is) can be a tire fire in his own zone, and you're correct in saying that he has 1 more year.  Why would you not trade him for a pending UFA who would likely still re-sign for cheaper than what we costs now and for a more reliable player?  Kerfoot's also a pending UFA ($3.5 milion off the books, 23 points in 53 games, plays both PP and PK, +8) and if his scoring and faceoffs (44.8%) aren't up to snuff we can just let him walk and free up all that money to find a replacement.  If the goal is to free up cap space at most in this case we'd only need to retain $500k on Myers to fit both these guys, so I think we'd be silly not to move him now (could probably also flip Kerfoot say for a 3rd this year).  There's no guarantee that even as a pending UFA Myers will perform to be worth that return either.   

Because we won't be a competitive team next year regardless.

Freeing up Myers space isn't enough to fix our D, and I'd rather pick up a nice high pick next year, than take two underwhelming albeit expiring contracts this year. I think Myers at a retained 50% would bring in a 1st round pick. Unless we're using that space to take a bad contract, I'd rather keep our trash and sell it for gold. 

11 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Because we won't be a competitive team next year regardless.

Freeing up Myers space isn't enough to fix our D, and I'd rather pick up a nice high pick next year, than take two underwhelming albeit expiring contracts this year. I think Myers at a retained 50% would bring in a 1st round pick. Unless we're using that space to take a bad contract, I'd rather keep our trash and sell it for gold. 

Well agree to disagree, but I'd rather free up that cap early, and agreed that if another team wants to trade a 1st and a bad expiring to us then we can utilize that cap space.  Better than holding onto hope for a mediocre player (worse having to retain when the promise isn't guaranteed).  Alternatively we could fill another roster hole with that $3.5 million so the possibilities are endless.

4 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Well agree to disagree, but I'd rather free up that cap early, and agreed that if another team wants to trade a 1st and a bad expiring to us then we can utilize that cap space.  Better than holding onto hope for a mediocre player (worse having to retain when the promise isn't guaranteed).  Alternatively we could fill another roster hole with that $3.5 million so the possibilities are endless.

3.5 doesn't get you anything that pushes the needle. And you'd probably be looking at more term for another mediocre player. One Myers bonus is paid, he is 100% a moveable asset. The fact that teams are kicking tires now is proof he has value. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

yet nobody can actually confirm this, they can discuss it and suggest it all day every day but nobody can tell anyone here with conclusive 110% evidence that this is fact. I mean management continues to say its not the case, then again nobody listens to management here anyways.

Media confirming this is not legit, other NHL people outside of the organization also are not legit in terms of confirming this. Just conjecture that is fun, something to rip on the guy about when not yelling at him to sell the team lol. Oh, and if you pay hundreds of millions of dollars to buy a franchise, then continue to pour millions upon millions to the point money is no object here at this time. By all means sit in on meetings, make it known you would like consultation on big dollar dealings, make suggestions of what you want for your team, has every right and don't think 31 other owners don't mingle, meddle, overstep, or just be active and interactive within their club management groups.

I think it’s pretty much confirmed by two previous GM’s that our owner meddles in hockey ops. Both Nonis and Gillis said as much. Been posted in threads here before. Then, recently Seravelli said our owner meddles in the coaching decision last summer. JR wanted to move on from Bruce, and our owner would t allow it. That created a big mess. 

So maybe our owner finally learned to stay out of hockey ops? He did allow a Bo trade (a key core player in his prime) where the key parts of the return were futures, so a rebuilding trade. He’s never allowed that before. IMHAO our owner is finally listening to and allowing management to do what they think is best. So his snout is now out.  Which is good for our club.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think it’s pretty much confirmed by two previous GM’s that our owner meddles in hockey ops. Both Nonis and Gillis said as much. Been posted in threads here before. Then, recently Seravelli said our owner meddles in the coaching decision last summer. JR wanted to move on from Bruce, and our owner would t allow it. That created a big mess. 

So maybe our owner finally learned to stay out of hockey ops? He did allow a Bo trade (a key core player in his prime) where the key parts of the return were futures, so a rebuilding trade. He’s never allowed that before. IMHAO our owner is finally listening to and allowing management to do what they think is best. So his snout is now out.  Which is good for our club.

In fairness the owner rejecting a Bruce firing likely had to do with paying 3 HC salaries at once.

• Cheers 2