The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Russian players be banned in the NHL?

Rate this topic

I am concerned with the amount of Russophobic sentiment building out there. Obviously if they are in support of what the Russian government is doing that's obviously wrong and should be condemned. But I'm seeing a lot of animosity towards the average Russian person, not dissimilar to what happened to Japanese Americans and Canadians in WW2, or Ukrainians here in the early 20th century, or any other groundswell of hostility to an ethnic group that has happened in history.

Edited by McBackup

17 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Panarin is critical of Putin from what I recall. Considering what is happening right now especially of people protesting against the Russian government couldn't he ask for refuge or political asylum in the United States?

That's the best outcome.  Give everyone a firm choice that if they go back to Russia, they are not coming back to civilization until Putin is in a coffin.  We should be able to allow players to defect, but giving citizens of enemy nations work visas is not a good idea.

3 hours ago, -NucksFan said:

The Capitals have now sent out a notice stating that Ukrainian flags will be forbidden at Capitals games. 
hope Rogers arena is filled with Ukrainian flags when the Capitals play here 

I don't know why we should really care.  Yes, I'm sad for all the people who have lost their lives due to this war, but this is the same for every war.  People die from wars around the world everyday.  Why is this one any different or should be treated differently?  The Ukrainian government has been killing its own citizens in an ongoing civil war for the past 8 years.  Are we gonna ban all Ukrainians from our country because of these atrocities committed by their government?  No.  The only reason the West cares about this war is because it has direct influence on the power NATO has in the world and could prevent them from dominating Russia more than they already do.

10 minutes ago, Podzy said:

Did you just call Russia uncivilized lol?  Don't give citizens of enemy nations work visas?     

Donald Trump is that you?

Absolutely, and the sanctions will turn them further into the stone age.  Look at the subhuman piece of garbage they call a president.  Their army is committing numerous war crimes, and you're calling that ****hole of a country civilized?  They are absolutely the enemy until someone puts a bullet in Putin's head.

21 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I don't know why we should really care.  Yes, I'm sad for all the people who have lost their lives due to this war, but this is the same for every war.  People die from wars around the world everyday.  Why is this one any different or should be treated differently?  The Ukrainian government has been killing its own citizens in an ongoing civil war for the past 8 years.  Are we gonna ban all Ukrainians from our country because of these atrocities committed by their government?  No.  The only reason the West cares about this war is because it has direct influence on the power NATO has in the world and could prevent them from dominating Russia more than they already do.

This, for me, just says we should be desensitized to war but I don't agree. Every war should be treated for what it is (horrific). "People die from wars every day" doesn't mean we shouldn't respond emotionally or care. Just because one is currently thrust into focus doesn't dilute the magnitude of others. I don't get this argument...that because people are expressing outrage, horror, concern, empathy others are quick to throw out "yeah but what about _______". We have the capacity to care about all people, but it happens that this is currently in the forefront as something escalating rapidly and on a pretty big magnitude. It's doesn't diminish the severity of other wars and atrocities. It's not an either or deal.

"The only reason _______ care" - you can't speak for others. You don't know why we care.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Podzy said:

Wow dude now you realllllyyy sound like Trump.  It's a ****hole country and everybody is the enemy because their government makes crazy decisions? 

This is some blatantly racist stuff, oh my. 

You know, Trumps a racist because he wanted to stop people from certain countries coming to the U.S because they keep poor records of each individual and expect Trump to just trust they are good people, a lot of them openly hate the west, many are extremist, many do come here and cause harm, they come from countries where their governments openly prosecute gay people even throwing them off of buildings, allow marriage between a man and a child, and these countries literally live in the stone age and attack other countries and provoke war daily.  But You'll sit there and call Trump a piece of garbage for not wanting to let them into his country?  ANd here you are doing the EXACT same thing.... The hypocrisy.  Lol

I'm 100% fine with them coming over, as long as they don't go back.  Same deal as when the guys defected from the Eastern Bloc in the 80's.

Edited by King Heffy

4 minutes ago, Podzy said:

Lol what is the difference?  What if they want to go back to get or visit their families/friends? 

Are you okay with people going to a ****hole country like Iran then coming back over here?  You know who Iran want's to destroy?  Here's a hint, it's us.

You’re wasting your time. This guy is known to be unhinged and uses this place to rant. Earlier he was calling for the death of Pettersson and Hughes agents because the negotiations were taking too long. This is nothing new, just ignore and move on.

do you ban US players when USA invaded country all around the world ? 

do you ban Ukrainien players during the last 8 years when their gouvernment bombed its own population in Donbass ? 

you just want Russians players to be banned because we don't have russians superstars in our lineup and we will benefit from it. 

pathetic. 

5 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

do you ban US players when USA invaded country all around the world ? 

do you ban Ukrainien players during the last 8 years when their gouvernment bombed its own population in Donbass ? 

you just want Russians players to be banned because we don't have russians superstars in our lineup and we will benefit from it. 

pathetic. 

Russians working abroad will continue to work.

You posted about Ukraine bombing its own people in Donbass.  You need to post evidence  of this.  Waiting...

• Upvote 1

You seem to view this quite differently than most of us in Europe.

There are many reasons for banning Russian players, even though, in a nice world, they shouldn’t be punished as individuals due to what their country is doing. (And banning them does not equal kicking them out or doing bad things against them like forcing them to speak out). They can still chose to stay in NA or go home in peace)

Is it fair that Ukraine athletes has to stop their careers for getting back and fight (even die) for their country, family and friends, freedom, while Russian athletes can continue their careers just like nothing has happened? 

Another even stronger argument is that Putin absolutely LOVES hockey, and so does many Russians. It’s their national sport and Ovi is a living legend! If the Russians were banned from playing, Putin would get a massive reaction from his countrymen! It’s one of the biggest leverages the west has and should be done now! All over Europe, athletes refuses to go up against Russian athletes in protest! (And please don’t compare this to “normal” workers. Banning them has no leverage at all.)

But I guess North Americans doesn’t see this as it’s not close by!? Is it perhaps more important that their team wins? 

And the fake news that Ukraine has been aggressive towards the people in the two separatist cities is just BS, Russian propaganda, which every free European journalist can prove (and also UN observers). Never thought I’d see that BS in here. Makes me sad…

I loved Hasek’s tweet. So true in so many ways. 

Now Putin threatens all European countries that supports Ukraine that they may see this as an act of war against Russia. The WW3 is getting closer by the hour. Just make it stop, please make it stop!

9 hours ago, -DLC- said:

This, for me, just says we should be desensitized to war but I don't agree. Every war should be treated for what it is (horrific). "People die from wars every day" doesn't mean we shouldn't respond emotionally or care. Just because one is currently thrust into focus doesn't dilute the magnitude of others. I don't get this argument...that because people are expressing outrage, horror, concern, empathy others are quick to throw out "yeah but what about _______". We have the capacity to care about all people, but it happens that this is currently in the forefront as something escalating rapidly and on a pretty big magnitude. It's doesn't diminish the severity of other wars and atrocities. It's not an either or deal.

"The only reason _______ care" - you can't speak for others. You don't know why we care.

Yes I agree.  I am very sympathetic for the Ukrainian citizens.  However my point is should we be banning people from our country because of it?  No, because we haven't done that for any war not involving our country in the past.  That's not how neutral countries work.

10 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Why is this one any different or should be treated differently

Because we have to start changing things at some point, so why wait for the next war?

10 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

The Ukrainian government has been killing its own citizens in an ongoing civil war for the past 8 years. 

link please

36 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

No, because we haven't done that for any war not involving our country in the past

So do nothing to change, and just carry on?

Some things that have changed for the better

Equal rights

Women get the vote

no segregation

Things change, not changing things because "this is how we did it before" is just not wise

• Like 2

I know 3 Russians and all 3 are against the war and Putin. The average millennial doesn’t support Putin. Most Russians I would argue are against the war and Putin but are in a state of fear from him and his government. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Yes I agree.  I am very sympathetic for the Ukrainian citizens.  However my point is should we be banning people from our country because of it?  No, because we haven't done that for any war not involving our country in the past.  That's not how neutral countries work.

Agreed. Saudies are not banned here even though their government is committing war crimes in Yemen for years now.. 

34 minutes ago, gurn said:

Because we have to start changing things at some point, so why wait for the next war?

link please

So do nothing to change, and just carry on?

Some things that have changed for the better

Equal rights

Women get the vote

no segregation

Things change, not changing things because "this is how we did it before" is just not wise

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbas

If you don't trust wikipedia feel free to do a quick google search and you can see the civil war going on between Ukraine and its Donbas state.  While there has been influence from Russia, this is still Ukrainians fighting Ukrainians.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbas

If you don't trust wikipedia feel free to do a quick google search and you can see the civil war going on between Ukraine and its Donbas state.  While there has been influence from Russia, this is still Ukrainians fighting Ukrainians.

Did you even read your source?  This isn't a civil war, as per your source.  It's a precusor to the Russian Invasion we are seeing today. 

There is no reason for Putin (the little baby whiner) to invade Ukraine.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Did you even read your source?  This isn't a civil war, as per your source.  It's a precusor to the Russian Invasion we are seeing today. 

There is no reason for Putin (the little baby whiner) to invade Ukraine.  

Pro Russian does not equal Russian.  They are Ukrainians who favour Russia over the EU.

Just now, Rindiculous said:

Pro Russian does not equal Russian.  They are Ukrainians who favour Russia over the EU.

They can move to Russia.  Much like the baby whiners who occupied Ottawa and blocked our borders, because they didn't like the election results.  Then leave.  Go elsewhere.

Just now, Alflives said:

They can move to Russia.  Much like the baby whiners who occupied Ottawa and blocked our borders, because they didn't like the election results.  Then leave.  Go elsewhere.

You are basically saying that Albertans should all move to the US.  Leave that part of the country barren of all life?  That's not how it works.  Peoples entire livelihoods are in that region.  Ukraine is a very split political nation with many extremists on both ends.  It might be one of if not the most divided country in this current day an age.