The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) DeBrusk willing to work on extension to facilitate trade

RWJC

Just now, Gollumpus said:
Have we heard anything about whether or not Pearson wants to be traded this year?

regards,  G.

I doubt he does as he just signed his extension to stay here a couple months ago. However this is a new front office that didn’t sign him to that contract and he’s an overpaid 3rd liner for our deep winger roster. I’d rather DeBrusk with a bit more sandpaper to his game. Oh this will probably all be moot as I see this year Pearson has a NTC, next year it’s a Modified NTC and the final year there’s no clause at all.

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I doubt he does as he just signed his extension to stay here a couple months ago. However this is a new front office that didn’t sign him to that contract and he’s an overpaid 3rd liner for our deep winger roster. I’d rather DeBrusk with a bit more sandpaper to his game. Oh this will probably all be moot as I see this year Pearson has a NTC, next year it’s a Modified NTC and the final year there’s no clause at all.

He could also stymie a Boston trade by including them on his M-NTC list, so there's that.

I'm not really understanding the Pearson dislike that some have for the guy. He seems to be a bit streaky, but that could be said of quite a few other players. His career stats show that he has produced at about a point every two games (which he is currently doing this season) which isn't too bad, and he has broken the 20 goal mark twice in his career (most recently in 2019 - 20).

If the most significant reason that people have for wanting Pearson off the team is for contract/cap reasons, then I would suggest that the team would do better to move some of the other guys who aren't producing at a pace which they might otherwise be expected to perform. Chiasson isn't really what was expected, not that his being gone would help the cap situation all that much. Some want Hoglander to get more TOI, but has he really shown that he will be anything more than another streaky type of player (54 games, 8g 8a which is down from 27 pts in 56 games last season)? <insert comments regarding Hoglander's line mates and TOI here, but Pearson doesn't always play top-6 minutes> True, Hoglander is young, and he has time to develop, or not.

Need food.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

He could also stymie a Boston trade by including them on his M-NTC list, so there's that.

I'm not really understanding the Pearson dislike that some have for the guy. He seems to be a bit streaky, but that could be said of quite a few other players. His career stats show that he has produced at about a point every two games (which he is currently doing this season) which isn't too bad, and he has broken the 20 goal mark twice in his career (most recently in 2019 - 20).

If the most significant reason that people have for wanting Pearson off the team is for contract/cap reasons, then I would suggest that the team would do better to move some of the other guys who aren't producing at a pace which they might otherwise be expected to perform. Chiasson isn't really what was expected, not that his being gone would help the cap situation all that much. Some want Hoglander to get more TOI, but has he really shown that he will be anything more than another streaky type of player (54 games, 8g 8a which is down from 27 pts in 56 games last season)? <insert comments regarding Hoglander's line mates and TOI here, but Pearson doesn't always play top-6 minutes> True, Hoglander is young, and he has time to develop, or not.

Need food.

regards,  G.

Also one of our few wingers that's shown chemistry with Horvat.

He's not the fleetest of foot, but I'm in no hurry to dump him. Particularly without a replacement.

Dickinson on the other hand... Saves them a hair of cap and swaps one ill fitting player for another. Boston plays a not dissimilar game to the Stars, where he had (defensive) success before... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Would Pearson for Debrusk be somewhat fair?

Contingent on Debrusk signing an extension at similar cap hit to Pearson

I belive I heard the Bruins' broadcasters say that Bruins want a 1st, player and prospect for him...yikes. They are homers but that is the current ask from their point of view.

7 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I belive I heard the Bruins' broadcasters say that Bruins want a 1st, player and prospect for him...yikes. They are homers but that is the current ask from their point of view.

I heard that too on the game broadcast but I think it was a joke regarding the current rumours in the NHL and trade deadline. At least that’s how I took it mean. Boston homerism is pretty rampant with their announcers, but Debrusk at that value has to be parody.

Edited by RWJC

10 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I heard that too on the game broadcast but I think it was a joke regarding the current rumours in the NHL and trade deadline. At least that’s how I took it mean. Boston homerism is pretty rampant with their announcers, but Debrusk at that value has to be parody.

Hope they get it...

Miller then equals prospect, player, 1st, 1st, 1st  hahaha

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Also one of our few wingers that's shown chemistry with Horvat.

He's not the fleetest of foot, but I'm in no hurry to dump him. Particularly without a replacement.

Dickinson on the other hand... Saves them a hair of cap and swaps one ill fitting player for another. Boston plays a not dissimilar game to the Stars, where he had (defensive) success before... 

And yet, for some, the chemistry between Pearson and Horvat (and also Pearson playing fairly well with Miller and Boeser) is seen as him being a passenger on the coat tails of these other, formerly under producing guys (see Boeser in particular).

Ah well, back to book.

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

a 1st, a player and a prospect

to BOS - 1st (2022), Jason Dickinson and Toni Utunen

to VAN - 1st (2022), Jake DeBrusk

3 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

And yet, for some, the chemistry between Pearson and Horvat (and also Pearson playing fairly well with Miller and Boeser) is seen as him being a passenger on the coat tails of these other, formerly under producing guys (see Boeser in particular).

Ah well, back to book.

regards,  G.

What was the food?

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

We are not trading our first. Certainly not for Debrusk.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

What was the food?

This is one of the important questions in life.

Curry. A chicken tikka masala, w/rice and a basic naan. Warm and filling, but too heavy.  :)

regards,  G.

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

he’s an overpaid 3rd liner

Pearson is

-6th in ice time amongst Canucks forwards (5 seconds a game behind #5)

-6th in scoring amongst Canucks forwards (5 points back of #3 and wayyyyy ahead of #7)

Premier League No GIF by Liverpool FC

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Gollumpus said:

This is one of the important questions in life.

Curry. A chicken tikka masala, w/rice and a basic naan. Warm and filling, but too heavy.  :)

regards,  G.

Haha totally! Verrrry nice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Pearson is

-6th in ice time amongst Canucks forwards (5 seconds a game behind #5)

-6th in scoring amongst Canucks forwards (5 points back of #3 and wayyyyy ahead of #7)

Premier League No GIF by Liverpool FC

Yeah, trade that slug. ASAP.

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The only way that Vancouver gets out of that deal (if offered) is that Sweney thinks he's being trolled by Dubas, and he hangs up the phone.

regards,  G.