The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Olli Juolevi (claimed by Red Wings)

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather not have a gutless coward who turtles when it's time to answer the bell and throws tantrums when his teammates are sick of him disgracing the sport.  The beached whale that piece of trash calls a father didn't win anything either.  You can't have someone like Tkachuk on a respectable team.

But you can have Kane though… right?

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Olli is soft in the head. Not Virtanen (dumb) soft, but just lacks any internal compete.  He is likely the Fortnight guy mentioned in those earlier posts about some high drafted Finn who played that game way too much.  Everyone watching that OJ draft knew we should have taken Tkachuk.  Another Benning pick, where he overruled the scouts.  Just killed our chances for a good rebuild.  

LOL, Vancouver is proud to pick, from the London Knights..... Ollie Juolevi :wacko:

When I heard London Knights, I was ready for them to say Matthew Tkachuk lol

• Haha 1

Scouts:  Tkachuk should be our pick for sure!

Benning:  We already have our top line power forward locked up for a decade in Virtanen, so I am going to draft by position instead and take this ‘can’t miss’ Finnish D I watched once… I am the best at scouting and Weisbrod says so too.  This guy will step in and take over from Hamhuis who is washed up.

Narrator:  Benning did not, in fact, know how any of this works…

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL, Vancouver is proud to pick, from the London Knights..... Ollie Juolevi :wacko:

Same... I remember turning to my wife after PLD was picked by CLB that the Canucks were gonna get Tkachuk!  I was super stoked!  When I heard "From the London Knights..." I was standing up ready to cheer... then I heard  "Olli Juolevi" ... and immediately went "WTF??" ... literally the same face:

Brady Trettenero on Twitter: "Montreal fans don't appear to enjoy their  team selecting Jesperi Kotkaniemi at third overall https://t.co/gfRifyFMgw"  / Twitter

Ironically, I know how those Canadiens fans felt after not picking their Tkachuk in Brady Tkachuk,,,, and instead going with Kotkaniemi.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Same... I remember turning to my wife after PLD was picked by CLB that the Canucks were gonna get Tkachuk!  I was super stoked!  When I heard "From the London Knights..." I was standing up ready to cheer... then I heard  "Olli Juolevi" ... and immediately went "WTF??" ... literally the same face:

Brady Trettenero on Twitter: "Montreal fans don't appear to enjoy their  team selecting Jesperi Kotkaniemi at third overall https://t.co/gfRifyFMgw"  / Twitter

Ironically, I know how those Canadiens fans felt after not picking their Tkachuk in Brady Tkachuk,,,, and instead going with Kotkaniemi.

Too funny. 

Sometimes we are too smart for our own good. 

But then again, every now and then we find gems like Petterson. 

I had no idea he would be this good. 

Also Det... Shame on them for picking Zadina while Quinn was playing in their backyard all year... 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

The only caveat I have to that is Canadian World Júnior players. You see a lot of these guys playing on the 3rd, and 4th lines, or not even standing out turn into terrific players. Like Brayden Point, Jeff Carter, Corey Perry, Shea Weber, etc.. It seems like these tournaments actually push these guys to become better still after they realize they have some competition.

I remember watching the draft rankings and accepting we took a defence instead of MT. However when I went and watched his game footage I was absolutely appalled how he covered his front net area. It's like he continually lost his mark and positioning on purpose so he could wander around and claim innocence on any goals or accountability. I was very concerned.

For me it's always screwing with the rankings.  Whomever comes in and has a good tournament, moves way up the rankings.   And guys that are younger, who don't get the minutes like you just illustrated, their status fades a little.   Some guys are on their second or third crack at it on lighter teams (Euro's)... and get drafted when they shouldn't simply because they are a couple years older and have one good tournament later - against kids lol.    The draft had a long standing boner when it comes to the WJ's ... OJ was far from the only bust over the years.   Both Crosby and McDavid - generational players - were criticized their only time at it ... despite being clear cut number ones - because they weren't the best player on their teams.   Some overage player was.   

It's not like it doesn't matter because of course it does - the world juniors are an institution for decades now.   And for decades, every single draft - some team gets way overexcited and drafts a bust or a guy that just had a great tournament that's body of work has him in the second or third round or further even. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I had it taped and came home from work to watch. I thought for sure we would pick the next best available. My jaw dropped and I tried to throw my remote but it stayed in my hand by my side. I recall saying Juolevi over and over again in different pronunciations like I was in a catatonic state trying to make sense of the world. I must have stood there in disbelief for about 20 minutes until I got a phone call from my bro.

lol ... good times :(

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For me it's always screwing with the rankings.  Whomever comes in and has a good tournament, moves way up the rankings.   And guys that are younger, who don't get the minutes like you just illustrated, their status fades a little.   Some guys are on their second or third crack at it on lighter teams (Euro's)... and get drafted when they shouldn't simply because they are a couple years older and have one good tournament later - against kids lol.    The draft had a long standing boner when it comes to the WJ's ... OJ was far from the only bust over the years.   Both Crosby and McDavid - generational players - were criticized their only time at it ... despite being clear cut number ones - because they weren't the best player on their teams.   Some overage player was.   

It's not like it doesn't matter because of course it does - the world juniors are an institution for decades now.   And for decades, every single draft - some team gets way overexcited and drafts a bust or a guy that just had a great tournament that's body of work has him in the second or third round or further even. 

Nice observations. I can totally see where you're coming from and I'll be taking that into account more moving forward. Of course there was no world jrs this year so scouting is going to be on everything else. I've been in the 2022 Draft thread lately you get some very good observations from all across the spectrum (guys like highonhockey and hammertime) which includes the entire body of work. Not just the world junior tourney. These guys explain the whys and why nots and where their viewings and and such are based, as well as limitations. So I'll definitely be taking a holistic approach this year. Any favs at 15 so far?

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nice observations. I can totally see where you're coming from and I'll be taking that into account more moving forward. Of course there was no world jrs this year so scouting is going to be on everything else. I've been in the 2022 Draft thread lately you get some very good observations from all across the spectrum (guys like highonhockey and hammertime) which includes the entire body of work. Not just the world junior tourney. These guys explain the whys and why nots and where their viewings and and such are based, as well as limitations. So I'll definitely be taking a holistic approach this year. Any favs at 15 so far?

Thanks Gawdzukes.  Don't take my word for it - i'd have drafted PLD if he was available, then MT who was available, then either Glass or Valardi - then Bouchard (who actually is coming into his own) then Podz (who was the ONLY JB first i had correct - and said so before the draft he could slip from a consensus 3rdish pick all the way to us )..., last year i wanted Clarke really bad ... thankfully he wasn't available, although we could have traded up a spot.    Will get back to you on whom i like at 15 ... or in the 10-15 range.    I love the WJs,  my brother even more so it's almost becoming a religion at my house.   So don't get me wrong.   Got to see a gold medal game (we lost lol to the US) and some other games live in MTL...first thing you will notice is - "those are small bodies gentleman, small bodies"  TV adds 4 inches and 40lbs - they are just a bunch of kids.   It's still a great way to see how the best against the best can perform.     I wish i could say i picked EP (nobody did ... nobody, not on the CDC except for maybe Timrafan lol) and QHs (who i was completely against - same with Boqvist) but i did not. 

Edit:  So - if i was GM i'd have picked MT, Glass/Valardi, Bouchard (had him ahead of Dobson and argued until I was blue in the face why, but he'd have been my second choice), and Podz.    I'd say that my lineup isn't so bad though.   MT just broke 100 points.    Bouchard is proving himself in the regular season and the playoffs (and is a RHD),  Glass isn't - Valardi so-so and Podz is a draw. 

Edit 2: aGENT ... care to pipe in?  Was i really that wrong with Bouchard?    Guys had a pretty decent season, and isn't on the first PP unit ... yet. 

Edited by IBatch

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Thanks Gawdzukes.  Don't take my word for it - i'd have drafted PLD if he was available, then MT who was available, then either Glass or Valardi - then Bouchard (who actually is coming into his own) then Podz (who was the ONLY JB first i had correct - and said so before the draft he could slip from a consensus 3rdish pick all the way to us )..., last year i wanted Clarke really bad ... thankfully he wasn't available, although we could have traded up a spot.    Will get back to you on whom i like at 15 ... or in the 10-15 range.    I love the WJs,  my brother even more so it's almost becoming a religion at my house.   So don't get me wrong.   Got to see a gold medal game (we lost lol to the US) and some other games live in MTL...first thing you will notice is - "those are small bodies gentleman, small bodies"  TV adds 4 inches and 40lbs - they are just a bunch of kids.   It's still a great way to see how the best against the best can perform.     I wish i could say i picked EP (nobody did ... nobody, not on the CDC except for maybe Timrafan lol) and QHs (who i was completely against - same with Boqvist) but i did not. 

Edit:  So - if i was GM i'd have picked MT, Glass/Valardi, Bouchard (had him ahead of Dobson and argued until I was blue in the face why, but he'd have been my second choice), and Podz.    I'd say that my lineup isn't so bad though.   MT just broke 100 points.    Bouchard is proving himself in the regular season and the playoffs (and is a RHD),  Glass isn't - Valardi so-so and Podz is a draw. 

Edit 2: aGENT ... care to pipe in?  Was i really that wrong with Bouchard?    Guys had a pretty decent season, and isn't on the first PP unit ... yet. 

I did a big work up of who we would have had based on just going with the top player available based on a bunch of the major pundits lists.

Button and then Pronman were way ahead of the pack (and Benning).... so honestly, I would just go with who is highest on their lists that is left when we pick.  It is kind of all over the map with lists this year, JR also said basically #5-15 are pretty much the same tier of guy so there could be picks all over the board.

This year right around where we are and who might be available:
Pronman
#12 - Kasper (C) 
#13 - Gauthier (LW)
#14 - Mintyukov (LHD)
#15 - Nazar (C)
#16 - Pickering (LHD)

Button
#12 - Korchinski (LHD)
#13 - Pickering (LHD)
#14 - Kulich (C)
#15 - Miroschnichenko (LW)
#16 - Perevalov (LW)

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I did a big work up of who we would have had based on just going with the top player available based on a bunch of the major pundits lists.

Button and then Pronman were way ahead of the pack (and Benning).... so honestly, I would just go with who is highest on their lists that is left when we pick.  It is kind of all over the map with lists this year, JR also said basically #5-15 are pretty much the same tier of guy so there could be picks all over the board.

Pronman
#12 - Kasper (C) 
#13 - Gauthier (LW)
#14 - Mintyukov (LHD)
#15 - Nazar (C)
#16 - Pickering (LHD)

Button
#12 - Korchinski (LHD)
#13 - Pickering (LHD)
#14 - Kulich (C)
#16 - Perevalov (LW)

I usually wait and see what THN and ISS come up with - then go and see what guys like Button and McKenzie come up with.    ISS is a very good baseline.   If you see someone way to high or way too low on a media personality or lesser credible source then that's worth investigating.   In the end it's a crap shoot still.   These guys are just kids, some have late b-days which matter sometimes as well - others just play on really good teams or really bad ones.    None of the rankings are perfect.   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

Pronman
#12 - Kasper (C) 
#13 - Gauthier (LW)
#14 - Mintyukov (LHD)
#15 - Nazar (C)
#16 - Pickering (LHD)

Button
#12 - Korchinski (LHD)
#13 - Pickering (LHD)
#14 - Kulich (C)
#16 - Perevalov (LW)

Button has been surprisingly accurate on how well a player translates to the NHL.  I think he was one of the few that had Virtanen ranked way near the bottom of the 1st round.

EDIT:  Yeah, he was one of the only ones that had Virtanen ranked way lower.  I think in the 2nd round somewhere:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Notice how high he ranked Point too.  Button used to be laughed at for his rankings, but I take them pretty seriously now.

Edited by HKSR

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Button has been surprisingly accurate on how well a player translates to the NHL.  I think he was one of the few that had Virtanen ranked way near the bottom of the 1st round.

EDIT:  Yeah, he was one of the only ones that had Virtanen ranked way lower.  I think in the 2nd round somewhere:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Even Button had Juolevi at 9, and Sergachev at 8 in 2016. So old Jimbo wasn't nuts in picking OJ at 6 all things being equal.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Even Button had Juolevi at 9, and Sergachev at 8 in 2016. So old Jimbo wasn't nuts in picking OJ at 6 all things being equal.

No, Jim's mistake was not taking BPA... he went for position which was very costly.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I remember telling myself, please don’t pick anyone from that Finnish Gold team.

Mass Hype.

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

he was ranked pretty highly by most scouts: http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

Injuries really did mess with his development. He'd never live up to the Tkachuk pass on him but I do think he'd be on our 2nd pair by now had he never been injured. 

Don't forget he had Green as a coach.. someone like Boudreau could have definitely affected his development for the better.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

5 .... and prior to the WJs he was a mid first -early second round pick.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Too funny. 

Sometimes we are too smart for our own good. 

But then again, every now and then we find gems like Petterson. 

I had no idea he would be this good. 

Also Det... Shame on them for picking Zadina while Quinn was playing in their backyard all year... 

Shame on them too for picking low 20's consensus pick Moritz Seider... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1