The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights re-sign Ben Hutton

Benning gave him $2.8M based on 25 points in his rookie year and 19 points to follow it up but he was -21 and -22 in those years respectively.  This is an evaluation issue.  Benning got it wrong and wasn't going to be able to lower his salary himself.  Sometimes paying a kid too much is doing him a disservice. 

He got his salary lowered and is a reasonable bottom pair player earning less than $1M.  He's lucky because he can pay in the league at that rate.  Def not 2.8

17 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning gave him $2.8M based on 25 points in his rookie year and 19 points to follow it up but he was -21 and -22 in those years respectively.  This is an evaluation issue.  Benning got it wrong and wasn't going to be able to lower his salary himself.  Sometimes paying a kid too much is doing him a disservice. 

He got his salary lowered and is a reasonable bottom pair player earning less than $1M.  He's lucky because he can pay in the league at that rate.  Def not 2.8

JB was an agents, dream when it comes to salary for non core players.

JB was too nice, to be a good GM

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 3/5/2022 at 11:02 PM, iinatcc said:

Toronto's problem is that they paid the big money in the forward position.

But like it or not Toronto is at least a consistent playoff team something Vancouver isn't. 

Besides as Ray Ferraro once said in TSN, he would rather overpay for star players (which was what Toronto did) than depth guys (which is what Benning did) 

Benning has won more playoff series than Toronto who are a consistent playoff team, as you say.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Benning has won more playoff series than Toronto who are a consistent playoff team, as you say.

Ah yeah both are true but keep in mind The Leafs were eliminated twice by a team that eventually made it to the finals that year and one against the President Trophy winners. And even if they get bounced this season can anyone really blame the leafs losing to Tampa or Florida?

Vancouver only made it to the playoffs once and made it to then 2nd round once since the Leafs started becoming a playoff team. And they eliminated a team that was ready to leave the bubble and wasn't even that motivated to win the series 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Ah yeah both are true but keep in mind The Leafs were eliminated twice by a team that eventually made it to the finals that year and one against the President Trophy winners. And even if they get bounced this season can anyone really blame the leafs losing to Tampa or Florida?

Vancouver only made it to the playoffs once and made it to then 2nd round once since the Leafs started becoming a playoff team. And they eliminated a team that was ready to leave the bubble and wasn't even that motivated to win the series 

Canucks beat the Blues the Past Stanley cup champs. Also, if BLM had not happened they would have beaten the Knights. That day off saved Vegas and helped them get back into it.

Also, Leafs have been losing playoff series more than twice. They also do it in spectacular fashion

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Canucks beat the Blues the Past Stanley cup champs. Also, if BLM had not happened they would have beaten the Knights. That day off saved Vegas and helped them get back into it.

Also, Leafs have been losing playoff series more than twice. They also do it in spectacular fashion

I think it was in TSN or Sportsnet that said it best Canucks beat a team that were reported to be the least motivated in the bubble (which made sense considering the won a cup a year prior) and Vegas I forgot who said it (might have been someone based in Toronto Steve Dangle, Tim and Sid, one of those), Canucks had nothing left againts Vegas and it was the goaltending keeping them alive. 

Edit as for the Leafs Habs, Bruins are the one that made it to the finals and Caps are the president trophy winners. I think the other playoffs they lost to was against the Bruins and they were also a very good team at the time 

Edited by iinatcc

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think it was in TSN or Sportsnet that said it best Canucks beat a team that were reported to be the least motivated in the bubble (which made sense considering the won a cup a year prior) and Vegas I forgot who said it (might have been someone based in Toronto Steve Dangle, Tim and Sid, one of those), Canucks had nothing left againts Vegas and it was the goaltending keeping them alive. 

At this point, I don't know if you are a fan of the Canucks? 

Going out of your way to defend other team's losses to the Canucks? "reported to be the least motivated" lol lol lol What does that even mean? reported to be the least motivated? The Blues' players went around the bubble with a sticky note saying "least motivated" on their foreheads? What a pathetic excuse for losing. 

When Canucks finally in the Stanley cup, what excuse you will come up with for the four teams that lost to us? I wonder what your excuse was for Chicago, Preds, and Sharks when we went to the cup final in 2011.

15 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think it was in TSN or Sportsnet that said it best Canucks beat a team that were reported to be the least motivated in the bubble (which made sense considering the won a cup a year prior) and Vegas I forgot who said it (might have been someone based in Toronto Steve Dangle, Tim and Sid, one of those), Canucks had nothing left againts Vegas and it was the goaltending keeping them alive

Edit as for the Leafs Habs, Bruins are the one that made it to the finals and Caps are the president trophy winners. I think the other playoffs they lost to was against the Bruins and they were also a very good team at the time 

Has a team ever won the Stanley Cup without goaltending?

6 minutes ago, khay said:

At this point, I don't know if you are a fan of the Canucks? 

Going out of your way to defend other team's losses to the Canucks? "reported to be the least motivated" lol lol lol What does that even mean? reported to be the least motivated? The Blues' players went around the bubble with a sticky note saying "least motivated" on their foreheads? What a pathetic excuse for losing. 

When Canucks finally in the Stanley cup, what excuse you will come up with for the four teams that lost to us? I wonder what your excuse was for Chicago, Preds, and Sharks when we went to the cup final in 2011.

Hey this was from the Vancouver media TSN 1040 and Sportsnet 650. If you are going to question my fandom maybe you also need to question theirs' too then

This is not my take but from the media that supports the Canucks and that are in the know of what's going on in the NHL

Edited by iinatcc

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Hey this was from the Vancouver media TSN 1040 and Sportsnet 650. If you are going to question my fandom maybe you also need to question theirs' too then

This is not my take but from the media that supports the Canucks and that are in the know of what's going on in the NHL

That's a very charitable view you have of local sports media. Personally I think they say and write whatever they need to fill column inches and airtime.

Edited by Biff Tannen

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Who listens to the media? The media has not actually published something factual since before the Vietnam war. Truth does not sell.

36 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

As Brady always said the best Championship is the next one. Least motivated sounds like something the media would say about the Canucks winning something.

19 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Fair enough regarding your fandom but we all know those media guys don't support the team. 

34 minutes ago, khay said:

Fair enough regarding your fandom but we all know those media guys don't support the team. 

I mean if that's your opinion fine. In any event my point is that I'm a Canucks fan for better or worse, even if people don't agree with how I feel with the media 

• Cheers 1