The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumors) Canucks Trade Deadline Betting Odds

RWJC

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine being a coach and having a .700 record and then watching half of your team get traded at the deadline.  Would Boudreau even show up to work the next day?

Guess it depends what was laid out to him when he was hired. Hard to predict this club would be where it’s at now given the first half of the season. A fair forecast under Bruce may have yielded a .500 winning percentage based on previous play. He has them outperforming their own shadow, even the bubble club. It’s also on them as a group as well. Just needed the right handler.

Goes to show you what a very experienced, and successful, coach can bring to the table. His record/utilization/knowledge of the game kind of commands a respect that I don’t think was present with Travis. He wasn’t a leader…the team kind of sputtered, imho, because they lost belief in him and his obviously diminishing capacity to run a game effectively given the talent at hand. Wasted opportunity. Exhausting.

Bruce at least gives them a point of reference. His career as a coach, his brand of hockey, not to mention his personality type, is a little bit of a beacon, but also provides a clear and defined direction. That was sorely lacking the past few seasons. 

Last aspect I think is trust. 

As far as the NHL gig goes, Bruce can be trusted based on pedigree.

Travis is still too “green” to have one. 
(apologies for that bad pun but I had to).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Guess it depends what was laid out to him when he was hired. Hard to predict this club would be where it’s at now given the first half of the season. A fair forecast under Bruce may have yielded a .500 winning percentage based on previous play. He has them outperforming their own shadow, even the bubble club. It’s also on them as a group as well. Just needed the right handler.

Goes to show you what a very experienced, and successful, coach can bring to the table. His record/utilization/knowledge of the game kind of commands a respect that I don’t think was present with Travis. He wasn’t a leader…the team kind of sputtered, imho, because they lost belief in him and his obviously diminishing capacity to run a game effectively given the talent at hand. Wasted opportunity. Exhausting.

Bruce at least gives them a point of reference. His career as a coach, his brand of hockey, not to mention his personality type, is a little bit of a beacon, but also provides a clear and defined direction. That was sorely lacking the past few seasons. 

Last aspect I think is trust. 

As far as the NHL gig goes, Bruce can be trusted based on pedigree.

Travis is still too “green” to have one. 
(apologies for that bad pun but I had to).

Agreed.  Boudreau is 67 years old and has never won a Cup.  He has taken Benning's team, which was supposedly a borderline playoff team, and turned it into a .700 hockey team, which would put us at the top of the division.

I don't think Boudreau is interested at all in going through a rebuild.  If JR pulls the plug on the season and trades half the team I think Boudreau goes back into retirement.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think Boudreau is interested at all in going through a rebuild.  If JR pulls the plug on the season and trades half the team I think Boudreau goes back into retirement.

Are you kidding? The man eats sleeps and breathes hockey. He kept track of all the teams in the league after he was fired by Minnesota and wanted nothing more than another NHL coaching job. Boudreau is a pro if I've ever seen one. If there are substantial trades made ,he will take the players he'll be given and will make them a team. Why would he walk away from that?

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Are you kidding? The man eats sleeps and breathes hockey. He kept track of all the teams in the league after he was fired by Minnesota and wanted nothing more than another NHL coaching job. Boudreau is a pro if I've ever seen one. If there are substantial trades made ,he will take the players he'll be given and will make them a team. Why would he walk away from that?

Why would a 67 year old coach with one year left on his contract be interested in coaching a team that just traded half of its players for picks and prospects?  Do you honestly think that was the plan that was given to Boudreau and he agreed to it?  

I'm pretty sure he saw alot of potential in this team and so he came here to win a Cup.  He didn't come here thinking that the team would be blown up and starting from scratch.

Boudreau is coaching at a .700 clip right now.  That's with guys like Brad Hunt and Jason Dickinson in the lineup.  Imagine if we had 2-3 more quality players and a good backup goalie?  We could do damage in the playoffs.  

I'm not interested in a full rebuild.  Neither are most other people.  Most fans are cheering the team on to make the playoffs.  I am one of those fans...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I agree with EP.    When asked last Friday by SN if he woke up and if he saw 3 of his vets traded would he say one word about these media rumours floating around.... his response "it would be a four letter word".... Bruce isn't looking to coach a rebuilding team at his age.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would a 67 year old coach with one year left on his contract be interested in coaching a team that just traded half of its players for picks and prospects?  Do you honestly think that was the plan that was given to Boudreau and he agreed to it?  

I'm pretty sure he saw alot of potential in this team and so he came here to win a Cup.  He didn't come here thinking that the team would be blown up and starting from scratch.

Boudreau is coaching at a .700 clip right now.  That's with guys like Brad Hunt and Jason Dickinson in the lineup.  Imagine if we had 2-3 more quality players and a good backup goalie?  We could do damage in the playoffs.  

I'm not interested in a full rebuild.  Neither are most other people.  Most fans are cheering the team on to make the playoffs.  I am one of those fans...

Me too.   I'd also let them rinse and repeat next season if we missed by a point or two (and as a long time fan would just call that Canuck luck)....at some point the ledger needs to be balanced.    We can have good things and well we actually are having them right now.   Even the Mighty Bruce isn't going to make it work if Allvin goes out and keeps up the type of roster change the clubs been through the last couple of seasons.    ONE smart trade to clear cap and re-invest in the team seems like a reasonable course of action - and one that doesn't make it tough on our quest for playoffs either.     IF the club also believes that we are indeed a .700 club, with our best days still coming, we actually have a chance at doing something special.   You don't mess with that too much. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine being a coach and having a .700 record and then watching half of your team get traded at the deadline.  Would Boudreau even show up to work the next day?

He also isn’t stupid and knows the team isn’t close to being a Cup contender.

It has also been made really clear that Rutherford isn’t planning on a full rebuild.  Players traded away will be for other players and cap side to sign other players.  The intention is to spend the next couple years getting better and actually be able to compete.  We are a cap strapped bubble team and that isn’t a good place to be,  Boudreau will know that.

This isn’t the last regime where we had to guess what the plan was and then have it change every few days.  They have been consistent with the vision.  The team needs improvement and they want to build it into a team that is a perennial contender.  Their horizon is thinking about a couple years from now and not doing what they can to squeak into the playoffs this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I agree with EP.    When asked last Friday by SN if he woke up and if he saw 3 of his vets traded would he say one word about these media rumours floating around.... his response "it would be a four letter word".... Bruce isn't looking to coach a rebuilding team at his age.  

Boudreau was so happy to be back in the NHL that I doubt he cared whether the Canucks were rebuilding or a playoff team. If you remember he interviewed for an assistant coach position a year and half prior. He might not like losing a Miller or Boeser but I suspect he gets up the next morning and starts to plan his team around whoever he has. I would be shocked if he and Rutherford haven’t had a few pops over the Canuck outlook over the next 2-3 years. I still think tha5 is the timeline and that the existing roster doesn’t get them to Cup contention. There has to be changes. Moving Miller at maximum value is likely the smartest option. That means by the TDL not this summer as many want.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Boudreau was so happy to be back in the NHL that I doubt he cared whether the Canucks were rebuilding or a playoff team. If you remember he interviewed for an assistant coach position a year and half prior. He might not like losing a Miller or Boeser but I suspect he gets up the next morning and starts to plan his team around whoever he has. I would be shocked if he and Rutherford haven’t had a few pops over the Canuck outlook over the next 2-3 years. I still think tha5 is the timeline and that the existing roster doesn’t get them to Cup contention. There has to be changes. Moving Miller at maximum value is likely the smartest option. That means by the TDL not this summer as many want.

We don't know what the asks will be.   I've proposed that Miller with retention is worth a couple of firsts a grade a prospect and a player - a kings ransom. What is actually being floated is anyones guess - the market also has other rentals available from SJ and PHI (they can also retain and take bad cap back)...    I have zero issue with the team trading anyone if the return makes sense.   But do have doubts what we think we will get back is a lot more then we actually could get back too.    And that the difference between this draft and next years TDL is as much as we think it could be.   

Edit: To me the right trade is the grade A prospect and whom that is more then the player back and the lottery ticket.   Late firsts (past 22 or so) aren't much different then most of the second round.   We'd be waiting a couple years to see what that is.    Who the player back matters more then the other things.  In the end it's the cap that probably matters the most,  how it's spent that is.   It's a pickle that's for sure. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

the plan is to get the cap hit down, get faster and improve the right defense. they need to do whatever they need to do to accomplish that. won't be easy so good luck to management.

Yes and to try and keep our center depth as well.   

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We don't know what the asks will be.   I've proposed that Miller with retention is worth a couple of firsts a grade a prospect and a player - a kings ransom. What is actually being floated is anyones guess - the market also has other rentals available from SJ and PHI (they can also retain and take bad cap back)...    I have zero issue with the team trading anyone if the return makes sense.   But do have doubts what we think we will get back is a lot more then we actually could get back too.    And that the difference between this draft and next years TDL is as much as we think it could be.   

Edit: To me the right trade is the grade A prospect and whom that is more then the player back and the lottery ticket.   Late firsts (past 22 or so) aren't much different then most of the second round.   We'd be waiting a couple years to see what that is.    Who the player back matters more then the other things.  In the end it's the cap that probably matters the most,  how it's spent that is.   It's a pickle that's for sure. 

Totally agree that if Miller is moved it is all about the player who forms the nucleus of what comes back. IMHO it has to be a RD. I also hope that Rutherford is the crafty old curmudgeon that he appears and won’t be swayed away from the return you outlined.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Me too.   I'd also let them rinse and repeat next season if we missed by a point or two (and as a long time fan would just call that Canuck luck)....at some point the ledger needs to be balanced.    We can have good things and well we actually are having them right now.   Even the Mighty Bruce isn't going to make it work if Allvin goes out and keeps up the type of roster change the clubs been through the last couple of seasons.    ONE smart trade to clear cap and re-invest in the team seems like a reasonable course of action - and one that doesn't make it tough on our quest for playoffs either.     IF the club also believes that we are indeed a .700 club, with our best days still coming, we actually have a chance at doing something special.   You don't mess with that too much. 

Agreed. I’m not opposed to trading Boeser to get a RHD to play with Hughes. That would balance out the lineup and we could go out and sign a free agent like Kuzmenko to fill the gap on the wing. 

I’m totally on board for JR to make a hockey trade to improve the team. And I am sure Boudreau is on board as well.  But if we are trading our core players for picks and prospects that don’t have any immediate help then that is where we are going to get into trouble.

This team isn’t that far off. We are a .700 team with Boudreau. A few tweaks here and there and we should be able to do damage in the playoffs. 

Unless it is a Kings ransom Miller should not be traded. Just pay the man. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

I don't see any "rinse and repeat" next year happening. This team has major structural and succession issues, isn't fast enough, is too cap heavy, too reliant on goaltending covering warts...

You don't fix those issues standing pat.

We may only see a couple smaller moves this TDL (Motte re-sign/trade, Halak?, Chaisson?) and an outside chance at one or two of Miller/Boeser/Garland. But this summer I expect they'll be pretty busy starting to chip away at those roster issues. And it will likely continue the following season and summer.

But yeah, the team is not going anywhere near a "rebuild". There's too many otherwise solid pieces in place to crater the whole thing.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't see any "rinse and repeat" next year happening. This team has major structural and succession issues, isn't fast enough, is too cap heavy, too reliant on goaltending covering warts...

You don't fix those issues standing pat.

We may only see a couple smaller moves this TDL (Motte re-sign/trade, Halak?, Chaisson?) and an outside chance at one or two of Miller/Boeser/Garland. But this summer I expect they'll be pretty busy starting to chip away at those roster issues. And it will likely continue the following season and summer.

But yeah, the team is not going anywhere near a "rebuild". There's too many otherwise solid pieces in place to crater the whole thing.

It's more about core ascension then standing pat...will they get better?   I'm a fan of improving the team via a trade and fixing the cap, but it can't just be pure futures, historically they don't often work out.    Sure would be nice to get a multi player trade like Butcher or Linden for the team right about now...but get those are also rare.    At the end of the day we might end up doing a rebuild anyways.    Depends on how things shake out, but certainly i agree we don't need to go there on purpose either. 

Edit:  The "rinse and repeat" means that rinse - so maybe some minor tweaks here and there and see how things go - we can always make a trade at the draft or next year still.    It still depends on how things go the next several games.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree that if Miller is moved it is all about the player who forms the nucleus of what comes back. IMHO it has to be a RD. I also hope that Rutherford is the crafty old curmudgeon that he appears and won’t be swayed away from the return you outlined.

If we could get a couple of firsts, a grade A prospect and a player ... hard to resist that isn't it?   That requires retention ... I'm on the fence.   Don't want to sign Miller to a deal he can't live up too, but sure would do a five year deal.    Hard to say how things will go.   Still 105 games or so before before he's a UFA a lot could happen yet. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 Trades:

Trade #1

To Van:

John Marino+ 2nd round pick 

To Pit:

Boeser

Trade #2 

To Van:

Cal Foote

To TB:

Luke Schenn

Trade # 3

To Van:

Fabian Lysell+ 1st round pick

To Boston:

Connor Garland 

Our D would look much stronger next year

Hughes Marino

OEL Myers

Rathbone Foote 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

3 Trades:

Trade #1

To Van:

John Marino+ 2nd round pick 

To Pit:

Boeser

Trade #2 

To Van:

Cal Foote

To TB:

Luke Schenn

Trade # 3

To Van:

Fabian Lysell+ 1st round pick

To Boston:

Connor Garland 

Our D would look much stronger next year

Hughes Marino

OEL Myers

Rathbone Foote 

How the heck does that make us stronger?   We lose Garland AND Boeser ?!!!  Who's playing on the RW?!  Dickinson can't do it and he's already had every line to try out with.   Is Jake Virtanen coming back? Oh wait we already tried him on all the pairings too for 300 plus games and nobody was happy.   Lysell well he'd be awfully good.  And i'm not sure that's a better D actually suspect it is worse, but do get your thinking long term here.   

Sorry to pick on you but i think one trade is all we need to make and that starts with one of either Miller or Boeser.  Garland has shades of Martin St. louis and Theo Fleury in him - or Ronning - you don't mess with that.