The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in John Marino

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Lol, this is personal opinion.  I've watched both play, and albeit I don't think Myers is TERRIBLE, I'd definitely prefer Dumba over Myers.

OEL is no Brodin though.  Brodin is a high end defensive D with elite skating - his backward skating speed is something where he is even faster than many Fs skating forward.  He covers for Dumba's defensive gaffes.  At this point it doesn't look like OEL can hold that role.  Maybe injury or just age decline.  Last season Boudreau said he hoped OEL could go back to skating like earlier in his career but so far it doesn't look like it will happen. 

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Start of the season, everyone trying to figure their clubs out..

I think Brock caught this management at a time where they didn’t want to seem unpopular to the fan base.

Idealy , that RFA signing should have been a single year at his Qualifying..  

With still the option to trade.

I do appreciate Bo,.  As much as I think he might be the asset to move that might align our D core,  I’d rather see someone else go.

The question is,  What is Bo asking ?

His game has elevated,  which makes him valuable to us ,.  And possibly others.

All cards down,.  I’d like to think Boeser might be better off closer to home.. Minnesota.

Perhaps there is a hockey trade there that helps both clubs.

Dumba was a named mentioned last year, and both players are at roughly the same cap hit.

Wild's issue has been defence this season - not scoring.  Wouldn't help Vancouver either.  Dumba keeps afloat because he gets to play with Brodin but otherwise he's not reliable enough defensively.  This season he has been also particularly bad and Brodin somewhat not his steady self till more recently.  

Cap wise doesn't work either.  Dumba is on expiring deal while Boeser has term.  Wild still have to go through their buyouts and have several key players to extend - Boldy is going to get paid this off-season.  It's not like there's an obvious spot in the lineup for him either.

Btw Guerin has always been reluctant to add local players.  When he got to Minnesota he criticised their country club atmosphere where he felt they had far too many players who wanted to be there for personal reasons more than hockey reasons.  He actually shipped out quite a few with local ties.

It's only recently that he softened his stance.  Not that they are going to target locals but more that they won't just exclude them if they are indeed the best players to help them.  He realised that he was cutting himself from a large pool of talent - Minnesota the state with the most NHLers + there are the universities. 

7 hours ago, mll said:

OEL is no Brodin though.  Brodin is a high end defensive D with elite skating - his backward skating speed is something where he is even faster than many Fs skating forward.  He covers for Dumba's defensive gaffes.  At this point it doesn't look like OEL can hold that role.  Maybe injury or just age decline.  Last season Boudreau said he hoped OEL could go back to skating like earlier in his career but so far it doesn't look like it will happen. 

image.thumb.png.02154fc6e3dc879c010d365f8470c8f1.png

I still take Dumba lmao.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, mll said:

Are you suggesting Brodin lead the attack skating backwards?

• Haha 2

On 11/2/2022 at 10:58 PM, mll said:

It’s weird almost every game I’ve watched brodin  play I haven’t been that impressed. Haven’t watched majority of their games ofc but just so happens when I’ve seen him play I haven’t seen his best performances 

• Cheers 1

On 11/3/2022 at 6:58 AM, mll said:

When you ask him to play D first then how do you play loose and mobile. Then, Myers is miscast to be a D first D. It is bad for both of them. 

Lines are badly cast.

• Vintage 1

Marino clearly would have been the great add.

They messed up. Even worse considering the Pits connection unless it made the move more difficult. 

But Dickinson, Rathbone and a 2nd for Marino would have been a sick move if possible to swing or something.

Oh well they messed up. This is done dead. 

I get the frustration like I cant get over we never even make an offer to UFA Adam Larsson but oh well.

Now who's the next top 4 dman on a fair contract we can acquire/target? Or even better a young RHD like Scott Morrow we can add

I am going to say I would love to aadd:

Zach Whitecloud 

Scott Morrow

Feel like one would help us immediately in our top 4 and penalty kill on a fantastic cap hit. Solid kid, capable of a larger role I believe. Vegas can sometimes be easy to pull trades with.

and the other would be an upcoming future stud.

I would feel a lot better about our RHD future with Bear, Whitecloud, Morrow and getting rid of Myers and keeping Schenn for depth. Morrow's price tag probably immense though.

And even then we still would need a LHD on bottom pairing that can PK. I dont see Rathbone fitting in, but he's just had a rough start who knows maybe he's settles down learns a lot and really surprises us. 

Edited by R3aL

On 11/7/2022 at 9:18 AM, GB5 said:

Why does this meaningless thread keep getting bumped? Let it go already....

1000% agreed, NJ is NOT moving a signed top 4 RHD in his mid 20s...Canucks management missed the boat on this one. The one thing I can think of is maybe Marino told Pit he would refuse to report to a western Canadian team...don't see that often and it would be a breach of his contract but did Marino not refuse to sign with Edmonton that lead to him being traded to Pit?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

UFAs I'd take a run at

Severson, Graves, Dumba, Mayfield 

More band aid, wrong aged, mid level guys that don't really move the needle, aren't long term solutions to play with Hughes and would be destined to be the next dog for Canuck fans to kick for being "overpaid", just like Myers.

• Upvote 1

Fitzgerald just explained how the Marino deal came about - he was guest on the podcast Devils Insider.  

Says they all knew, the whole hockey world, that Pittsburgh was going to need to clear cap space to re-sign Malkin / Letang.  He called up 'Ronnie' just ahead of the trade deadline to plant the seed - telling him that he would be willing to give up a young prospect with a bright future.  Hextall got back to him several months later - about a month after the Penguins were eliminated from the playoffs.  Fitzgerald offered to add a pick to get the deal done but Pittsburgh not ready to do it on the spot.  It was then about being patient.  It dragged on a bit as Pittsburgh had a few other things going on and had to check a few boxes.