The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks and Laffs (Liljegren)

Just now, DeNiro said:

They are desperate for goaltending.

Dont believe Dubas when he says they’re goaltending is fine. That’s just Leafs kool aide.

Given Halak’s most recent games and the fact that he has bonuses(Can the Laffs handle that?). Then the ultimate fact that he has a NMC I don’t think he’s going anywhere or even that the Laffs would be interested if he could. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe this Liljegren rumour is just to help motivate PIT to do a (Marino) deal.

Not sure they can move Marino without security at RD which they could get in the off-season the earliest. Right now the only other guy is an aging Letang who’s also an upcoming UFA. 

20 minutes ago, J-P said:

Earlier in the season you had a point. While Hunt still has flaws I don't think anyone watching the recent games can argue he's fine as a bottom pairing D.

Schenn is good but not part of our contender, if laffs takes on halaks bonus then halak + schenn for TL and a pick is a trade I'd do anytime, maybe even without the pick. Gamble on upside on TL is worth it.

Watched the games, still don't consider his play in good own zone to be remotely acceptable, and don't think there's much hope of Liljegren ever learning how to play defence.  If we're trading Schenn, I want something of actual value to come back instead of AHL trash.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, AngryElf said:

Would definitely take more than Motte but Leafs have been in on Garland, Boeser and Motte. He'd pair well with OEL imo. 

I would not trade Motte for him and ruin our 4th line. Dangle hates him. Also, He has no place on our team. We have Poolman who has played well with Hamonic and Boroughs coming back soon.

Then, we have the fact that is Dhali so it is  trash rumor anyways.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Who has shown zero sign of learning how to play like an NHLer in his own zone at any level. He's their OJ only even more of a liability.

This exactly. The only reason he hasn't played enough games to make it out of the rookie category, is because he's lacked the ability to play at this level. He's worth a flyer, but we should hamper expectations. He's another Juulsen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Poolman for Liljegren straight up?

I don't think Toronto would want to absorb that contract when they need to add other pieces. There's better cheaper Dmen out there, similar to Schenn who can round out a bottom pair and provide depth. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Watched the games, still don't consider his play in good own zone to be remotely acceptable, and don't think there's much hope of Liljegren ever learning how to play defence.  If we're trading Schenn, I want something of actual value to come back instead of AHL trash.

I agree, Liljegren seems to be in the same category of Juulsen and Bowey,

RHD's that some folks have wanted for years but they have yet to prove themselves as reliable NHL defenders. If anything the Canucks need a steady minute munching RHD and this is not him.

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Who has shown zero sign of learning how to play like an NHLer in his own zone at any level. He's their OJ only even more of a liability.

Lol. At this point I'm pretty sure you think 28% of the  league has shown 'zero sign' of defensive play

Liljegren has not been that bad defensively this year; he's had some gaffes for sure, but he's a rookie playing a context of a pretty bad defense corps that constantly being shuffled. I said in my original post I wouldn't want to risk many assets on him (maybe Halak and a mid round pick), but I do believe he has a higher ceiling than he's shown so far in Toronto this year.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Imho, Would rather draft this type of player than expend resources acquiring them.

Use the resources for definitive need. Not projects that are similar to assets we already have. 

Exactly, Rathbone is already better than Lillypad. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Lol. At this point I'm pretty sure you think 28% of the  league has shown 'zero sign' of defensive play

Liljegren has not been that bad defensively this year; he's had some gaffes for sure, but he's a rookie playing a context of a pretty bad defense corps that constantly being shuffled. I said in my original post I wouldn't want to risk many assets on him (maybe Halak and a mid round pick), but I do believe he has a higher ceiling than he's shown so far in Toronto this year.

I will fully admit to having absolutely zero tolerance for a defencemen who can't play defence.

• Cheers 1