The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Ben Chiarot to Panthers for Ty Smilanic, 2022 4th-round pick, 2023 1st-round pick

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Makes me wonder what we could get for Schenn. Sell high? 

For me, and I never would have thought this in October, it would have to be pretty high.  I think his value to the Canucks is pretty significant

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

For me, and I never would have thought this in October, it would have to be pretty high.  I think his value to the Canucks is pretty significant

It is, no question. But we've got Poolman who will be coming back at some point, and unless they plan on trying to move him out sooner than later they're going to have to find a way to play him. Myers, Hamonic, Schenn, Poolman. Who do you sit once they're all healthy? Do we really staple 2.5M to the bench? 

Schenn may be valuable, but if he can bring back a 2nd I'd take it and run. Especially considering we don't have one this season. Even with one season remaining on his deal, I don't view him as a long term asset. 

Hamonic might have value, Myers is unlikely to go. Depth is good, but you don't pay someone 2.5M to be your extra guy. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It is, no question. But we've got Poolman who will be coming back at some point, and unless they plan on trying to move him out sooner than later they're going to have to find a way to play him. Myers, Hamonic, Schenn, Poolman. Who do you sit once they're all healthy? Do we really staple 2.5M to the bench? 

Schenn may be valuable, but if he can bring back a 2nd I'd take it and run. Especially considering we don't have one this season. Even with one season remaining on his deal, I don't view him as a long term asset. 

Schenn is signed for another year at less than a million.  Any offer in trade will not come close to the value he is to us.  

With Schenn we have a top pair making less than 9 million.  Last game they were a combined plus 8.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schenn is signed for another year at less than a million.  Any offer in trade will not come close to the value he is to us.  

With Schenn we have a top pair making less than 9 million.  Last game they were a combined plus 8.  

I'm fully aware of what we have, but that's exactly what makes him so valuable at his cap hit. What we currently have isn't likely to be a long term solution, Schenn will be 33 before next season is even half over. We need to find a real long term partner for Hughes. 

Schenn works for now but he's not a long term solution. He's a temporary asset. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hamonic might have value, Myers is unlikely to go. Depth is good, but you don't pay someone 2.5M to be your extra guy. 

It sounds like Canucks are going to move Myers this offseason. His full NTC turns into only a 10-team no-trade list on July 1st.

Just now, D-Money said:

It sounds like Canucks are going to move Myers this offseason. His full NTC turns into only a 10-team no-trade list on July 1st.

That'd be interesting, but it raises questions as to how we'd replace him. He's not a guy I see us extending, but they'd need something else in place in order to move him out. I don't see Schenn as that guy. 

14 hours ago, Rabbit said:

Panthers is the winner of the trade.  Agree?

If they win a cup they of course are winners.   They are also smart to be going for it.    That's one heck of a team in a very high end division at the top.   The EAST has some Beasts.    I'm just glad TO won't win a cup.   What's the over under on them getting past the first round this year?  lol 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To me we lose trading Schenn.   Motte maybe too even though he's a UFA soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

It isn’t just the fact that they gave up a 1st - they had to add more on top of it!

I don’t know why people are surprised. For months now   Respected hockey insiders have been saying the asking price for Chiarot was a 1st + and that multiple teams had interest.  

• Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That'd be interesting, but it raises questions as to how we'd replace him. He's not a guy I see us extending, but they'd need something else in place in order to move him out. I don't see Schenn as that guy. 

I suspect they'll target someone younger and hopefully more effective. But if they can't find that guy, then at least Hamonic-Schenn-Poolman is an NHL-calibre right side (not a good one though).

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t know why people are surprised. For months now   Respected hockey insiders have been saying the asking price for Chiarot was a 1st + and that multiple teams had interest.  

No doubt teams were interested in Chiarot, and no doubt the Habs wanted a 1st +, I just wasn't sure that they'd get it. Especially when Manson went for less.

28 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Schenn hughes chemistry and his overall team impact is worth more than 2nd.

try and dump poolmam instead, benning said lots of teams were interested right lol

I could see a team that struggles signing UFA's being interested in Poolman.  He's a big right shot D with term and decent cap hit who will play 16 to 22 minutes.  Won't be surprised if he ends up in Jersey or back in Winterpig.  

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

No doubt teams were interested in Chiarot, and no doubt the Habs wanted a 1st +, I just wasn't sure that they'd get it. Especially when Manson went for less.

How much difference is there between 28-32 overall and a second?  Sure, if the Leafs got Chiarot that's a top 20 pick.  Can see why the Leafs didn't want to give up another top 20 pick.  

Holy overpayment… I get it… solid D for a cup run…. But damn the rental market may actually not be that bad for sellers!

I may be in the minority, but sellers market + hertl contract = trade Miller

Edited by 70seven

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How much difference is there between 28-32 overall and a second?  Sure, if the Leafs got Chiarot that's a top 20 pick.  Can see why the Leafs didn't want to give up another top 20 pick.  

A big difference if the pick is a late 2nd.

That said, Helleson is a pretty darn good prospect, so I guess the returns are pretty similar.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Holy overpayment… I get it… solid D for a cup run…. But damn the rental market may actually not be that bad for sellers!

I may be in the minority, but sellers market + hertl contract = trade Miller

An overpayment (embarrasingly bad) was the Loser Leafs giving up a top 20 first for renting Foligno.  This Chiarot deal is fair, and actually (by comparison) a steal.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Trading a garland, motte, even Boeser is nothing but a lateral move......rearranging deck chairs.

True, but I see it as a mean of clearing cap space. E g. Motte for a pick and a 1 mil player to replace him (instead of signing him to 2.5 mil+), Boeser for a combination of pick/s and cheaper player/s. Hopefully management has a clear plan regarding this.

But agree, these moves in themselves aren't moving the needle, still feel though that we could get more now vs the off-season.