The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Brandon Hagel, 2022 4th-round pick, 2024 4th-round pick to Lightning for Taylor Raddysh, Boris Katchouk, 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 1st-round pick

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, Laffy would be huge I get what you're saying.

We'll see, I think Tampa making a move might nudge them. If Florida does that might too. They're gonna have to go through one of them at some point.

Tampa and Florida are locked and loaded. The Rangers are a one line team and are the worst scoring team out of all of the top contenders. A Miller deal could fix most of their problems. Especially if you add Motte and Schenn to the deal. 

However they would have to pony up. Lafreniere, Schneider, Kravtsov and a 1st should be the ask for those 3 players. Maybe we could get Lundkvist as well. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tampa and Florida are locked and loaded. The Rangers are a one line team and are the worst scoring team out of all of the top contenders. A Miller deal could fix most of their problems. Especially if you add Motte and Schenn to the deal. 

However they would have to pony up. Lafreniere, Schneider, Kravtsov and a 1st should be the ask for those 3 players. Maybe we could get Lundkvist as well. 

Given how much of a sellers market it's been we could potentially get the grandfather offer that it would take to trade Miller. If not we have other routes and no rush this year. 

Lundkvist + Schneider would solve our future succession at D. Two blue-chippers at RD that both are pretty much ready for NHL jump. This upcoming draft is deep and forward heavy so potentially get another quality forward.

Even look at what teams would offer for a guy like Garland. Rags, Bruins and Kings are interested in this guy and have yet to make a splash. 

The trade market has definitely made things interesting. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Lundqvist too would be pushing it, but I'd love the first four pieces for those players

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think Lundqvist too would be pushing it, but I'd love the first four pieces for those players

If you give them Miller (50%) + Motte + Schenn, Canucks should demand back Schneider + Lundqvist + Laf + Kratsov.

4 hours ago, Dannydog said:

He's having a Career year and is driving his return up through the roof. With a cup contender team, having JT signed slightly over 5 mil  for 2 kicks at the cup has got to have these GMs drooling. If the return is multiple firsts and A prospects how can you turn that down? There's no cup run coming in the near future for Van  so why not invest in the future?  I seen some projected contracts for miller at 9mil 8 years....no way that contract is going look good at lets say year 3 and a 33yr old JT let alone at 37. JT is at his best when he's hitting and flying at full pace, Physical type players as a whole see drops in production as time wears on and injuries take effect. I love the guy and what he brings to the team in grit and pure conviction but not sure that energy lasts anywhere near the length of his next contract

I agree he is having a career year

Remembering the 1st round picks will be almost 2nd round picks from contending teams (remembering not great picks avail when we were #1 in the league)

It will be more important what else is in the package

I wish we had got this Miller 2 years younger, but when was the last time a retirement contract from the Canucks was a good one?

We have never won a cup, so that is important You can build a great team without superstars using Vegas model

Then they sign a superstar and start falling ;) (Hopefully for us this a long term fail)

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Remembering the 1st round picks will be almost 2nd round picks from contending teams (remembering not great picks avail when we were #1 in the league)

I wish we had got this Miller 2 years younger, but when was the last time a retirement contract from the Canucks was a good one?

We have never won a cup, so that is important You can build a great team without superstars using Vegas model

Then they sign a superstar and start falling ;) (Hopefully for us this a long term fail)

Yup.

They had 4 lines that could score and everyone hustled.  Was in the Stanley Cup finals in their first year.  Then they went big name hunting.  Forgetting what got them there in the first place.  Also had an aging Franchise goalie in Fleury.  Now look at Vegas with subpar goaltending.

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

If you give them Miller (50%) + Motte + Schenn, Canucks should demand back Schneider + Lundqvist + Laf + Kratsov.

I see NYR being more willing to give us a 1st instead of both of their top D prospects 

But if we retain, yeah, the ask goes up

Tampa continues to make big time moves. They are contending with many good teams in the East(Toronto, Florida, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Washington). They obviously feel that they have what it takes to win again. I just don’t want to see that though. Let another team have a share of the fun for once.

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I wish we had a player like  miller in 2011. Cup would have been ours

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If this guy, tiny LW under minimal contract nets Chicago 2 firsts and Allvin/Rutherford are not screaming in to the phones trying to obtain assets for whatever we have I will be shocked

Shocked I tell you

Shocked

im-shocked-shocked-i-tell-you.jpg

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Given how much of a sellers market it's been we could potentially get the grandfather offer that it would take to trade Miller. If not we have other routes and no rush this year. 

Lundkvist + Schneider would solve our future succession at D. Two blue-chippers at RD that both are pretty much ready for NHL jump. This upcoming draft is deep and forward heavy so potentially get another quality forward.

Even look at what teams would offer for a guy like Garland. Rags, Bruins and Kings are interested in this guy and have yet to make a splash. 

So we'll trade him for a Worthers original candy and a story about how he used to wear an onion on his belt? :D. 

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

I wish we had a player like  miller in 2011. Cup would have been ours

I was one that thought it was finally our year, we had close to a dozen regulars out or badly injured and was not the same team near the end

Kesler at the time was our Miller and he was one of the badly injured made less effective with a groin tear and hip labrum tear

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bad alice french said:

How the hell does a team manage to pay for a list of players like this in the cap era?
Always baffles me. 

What the &^@# are we doing wrong?

Its almost like Tampa’s money is magic. 

Collective buy-in and no bad contracts (whether critics choose to play the "LTIR loophole" card is up to them, I personally won't, since they aren't the only team doing it).
Kuch/ Point/ Hedman/ Vasi/ Stamkos are all worth what they make despite their big tickets, Cirelli/ Cernak/ Killorn/ Sergachev are all steals, then they have players who've bought in on near-minimum contracts (Perry, now Hagel too, I'm sure I've missed some) who are steals that you get when you're the odds-on favorite.  It's similar to in the NBA in a sense -- stars and success beget veterans who want to win to join.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Gino Gino Gino said:

So we'll trade him for a Worthers original candy and a story about how he used to wear an onion on his belt? :D. 

Well, it was the fashion in those days...

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Even at $1 million per season that would still be $86 million by 2025.  Should be enough to cover Miller's extension and also Petey's extension.

Problem is the team also needs to re-up Motte and replace Myers most likely via free agency etc.    The way the team is playing now seems like enough but it isn't at all close to on paper with contenders.    Making the playoffs with some core ascension is ok...also need to re-up Hogs and Podz before too long...Holbty and Halak will be off the books by then, and Ferland which doesn't change much but does give us a little flexibility.     Horvat also needs a raise.    Feel that Brock is probably the odd man out.   He's not as useful as Garland is.   5 x 5.   And i'd say probably not much better on the PP even as his normal self .... Garland would probably be a PPG player if he got the time this year with this group of guys.   Don't know what the team should do.   I like Miller, he's exactly the type of player every team needs in their top six.   And sure he can keep it up until he's 33/34 in the 65-80 range that is.    Having EP/Miller/Horvat for another 6-8 years makes a very good top 3 C's and allows for 3 scoring lines.    If we had a pool left i'd be stoked...trading Brock might or Miller provide for a more flexible future. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Lundqvist isn't even ranking in the top 100 prospects (yet)...Rathbone and Woo both were to start this season  ... OJ too.   Both OJ and Woo dropped out mid season but Rathbone moved up 20 or so spots to around 60.   Not 20 or so spots ahead of Schnieder (guys that play some games but haven't proved themselves completely still stay in - that includes guys like Tippet and Schneider)....We don't think much of Rathbone, yet are drooling over other guys and automatically slotting them in...  Maybe your right.   Schnieder sure looks to be a guy who could become a top four .... Lundqvist maybe can too.    There was a time that Bourdon (RIP) on our own team was considered a lock - then this tall Swedish guy came in and beat him out of that spot...so you never do really know.    Miller by himself with retention has to come with a couple grade A prospects, a roster player and a first rounder.   You'd think given the market anyways. 

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Collective buy-in and no bad contracts (whether critics choose to play the "LTIR loophole" card is up to them, I personally won't, since they aren't the only team doing it).
Kuch/ Point/ Hedman/ Vasi/ Stamkos are all worth what they make despite their big tickets, Cirelli/ Cernak/ Killorn/ Sergachev are all steals, then they have players who've bought in on near-minimum contracts (Perry, now Hagel too, I'm sure I've missed some) who are steals that you get when you're the odds-on favorite.  It's similar to in the NBA in a sense -- stars and success beget veterans who want to win to join.

We also experienced some of this with the MG team.   Cost us clauses but he did everything right but win us a cup... and of course a lot wrong shortly thereafter. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Tampa continues to make big time moves. They are contending with many good teams in the East(Toronto, Florida, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Washington). They obviously feel that they have what it takes to win again. I just don’t want to see that though. Let another team have a share of the fun for once.

Personally i'm loving it.   This "loophole" is finally shaking some of the vanilla out of the cap era, and bringing back the powerhouse teams, which is how great rivalries begin.   Sucks if your on the other side of it, like us in the 80's having to play against the top two teams in the West .... CAL kept adding guns because they were trying as hard as they could to keep up with EDM...battle of Alberta were much watch games as a result..and the rare time one slipped, the other was there to go to the final (twice).    Even after EDM last harrah in 1990, CAL remained a top team for 5 or so years...in the 90's it was PIT/NYR - then DET/COL which was the best rivalry in pro sports then.   7 times they met, and whomever lost went to the conference final and 5 times the cup final...

See some similarities now in the East especially.   Vegas is playing rope a dope right now, maybe they will join in on the fun, COL is looking to as well.   Stone might be the most complete hockey player in the world right now - and it's showing how important he is too their team ... without them they still just beat was it Tampa Bay?   Wouldn't count them out yet - but sure would be great if we could play spoilers.    Florida, TB and CAR are quite the powerhouses ... WSH, PIT, TO and probably can't count Boston out either....

GMs have found a way to balance the books with guys like Corey Perry, Staal, Thornton, Spezza etc and of course use their "doctors notes" to sneak in an extra 10 or so million of solid or peak depth for their runs and think that's great.   The only thing that bugs me is that players take home so much more in some teams like TB, Florida, Dallas, Vegas and Seattle then teams like Vancouver, TO and MTL.    Makes it awfully hard to maximize value.  36.4% compared to 53% is a wide margin.   MTL managed a miracle run last season.   When was the last time a Canadian team has won again?   

• Vintage 1