The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 19, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Dreadful game all around, not much to cover really. Everyone was pathetic in the 1st period, we had 5 good minutes in the 2nd and 5 good minutes in the 3rd. To a man, everyone looked lazy, tired, couldn't connect on passes, couldn't skate fast enough and were 3-4 steps back of the play. The only guys who played with a bit more tempo and effort were Schenn, Demko, Garland, Hughes, Motte, Lammy, Highmore and Podkolzin. None of them were great, they were just 1 step behind the play as opposed to the rest of the team.

The team just played one of their worst games against a fired up team who had just played one of their best games so 5-2 isn't too bad all things considered.

This homestand was always going to decide our fate and we're 2-3-0. Terrible. You hope they can beat Buffalo tomorrow but who knows with this team.

As much as everyone wants to sell, every team has a bad game. Calgary played like crap and got shut out by Buffalo. If we win against Buffalo that's a .500 homestand, and we head into a grossly difficult road trip. Regardless, I don't think JR will sell but if there's a lateral trade to be had (Boeser for a young RD) then it'll happen.

I like reading your game recaps.  One of the most grounded in reality ones. 

Just now, grumpyone said:

didn't listen to ANY of the game.... used headphones and listened to playlist from youtube while watching the debacle

What finally did it for me was when I would un-mute (??) when the play started back up, and she was still carping away; Hey Zeus!  Just shut up!

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I get that, but Calgary is a legit Cup team and Vancouver isnt.  When they're on the top of their game Vancouver can beat them, but they're in trouble when they aren't.  It stings, but an L is an L, regardless of how they got it..........at least that's what I'm going with.

Calgary is a legit regular season team...they haven't done squat in the playoffs yet and their recent track record shows them just as likely to get ousted in the first round. 

Tkachuk on his butt with Schenn towering over him as he slashed away at him like a baby crying because Mom wouldn't pick him up was my favourite part of the night. Except the refs didn't penalize him for multiple slashes, as they should have. I guess Tkatantrums are allowed/expected? That stuff helps teams carry their momentum forward. Put Myers in his place and he's in the box. 

We beat them 7-1 less than a month ago, so...

Had enough "rah rah Calgary" last night from a bunch of drunks. 

That was a terrible non effort from our team until the end of the game (again), where they fought to get back in. Too late.

No whining, I'm all out crying over that one.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Seriously, it's disturbing how fast people jump off this train.  They've been one of the best teams in the league for 4 months.......they're going to have some stinkers in there and Calgary is a legit contender.  

I'd say most people projected this game as an L,  cut them a little slack.

I agree they have been playing well under BB. The exception is their home record. It's an issue and they get rattled when other teams come out strong in the first. No identity at home, or worse yet, a soft identity at home is what's killing this team's play-off hopes and my passion for this group.

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Well I guess we’ll see in 4.3 years....

Still a few years away. You’re right. But it doesn’t feel like a long time, considering that our players aren’t getting any younger…and you hope that in 4 years, the team is starting its upward trajectory and starting to compete…

Edited by N4ZZY

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Calgary is a legit regular season team...they haven't done squat in the playoffs yet and their recent track record shows them just as likely to get ousted in the first round. 

They are also whiners (Tkachuk in particular) and he gets away with a lot (again, put Myers in his place and he's in the box). Slashing like a hacker at Schenn because he's a cry baby.

We beat them 7-1 less than a month ago, so...

Had enough "rah rah Calgary" last night from a bunch of drunks. 

I find it funny how "they're whiners" yet you and everyone else that supports this team is whining about the spanking they just gave us. They're a better team right now. We'll get there one day. 

• Upvote 1

And I get what BB was doing, but I can see why Halak was mad as it means he won't get his start today, most likely.

Miller can puss and moan, slam his stick, slam the door and he has "passion for the game" and is a real leader, but halak loses a starr and seems to show a frustrated reaction and he's a villain?  

Again, I didn't say it was the wrong move, or that I wouldn't do the same,  just that it's a CS move to out halak in and take his start away from him. 

First of all, Miller has paid his dues on the ice and has come through, big time, for the team...Halak has not. So Miller's "passion for the game" has an upside...we're waiting to see Halak's. If Miller had ONLY shown his moody side then sure, compare it. But Miller's earned the right to have moments and has balanced out his gate slams with some pretty incredible play, Halak has not.

Halak is a member of this team and....a "back up". Which means, when called upon, his job is to "back up" Demko. So he just wants to sit and watch and collect his bonuses and pay cheques? As Demko does headstands and works through fatigue and injury to keep this team relevant? No passengers, Halak.

You do what your team needs you to do .... the "worrying about HIS STARTS" is very much an I in team thing. To see his display when being put in? That was Tkachuk level cry baby to me.

• Cheers 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

First of all, Miller has paid his dues on the ice and has come through, big time, for the team...Halak has not. So Miller's "passion for the game" has an upside...we're waiting to see Halak's. If Miller had ONLY shown his moody side then sure, compare it. But Miller's earned the right to have moments, Halak has not.

Halak is a member of this team and....a "back up". Which means, when called upon, his job is to "back up" Demko. So he just wants to sit and watch and collect his bonuses and pay cheques?

You do what your team needs you to do .... the "worrying about HIS STARTS" is very much an I in team thing. 

Moving the goal posts, as usual.  The myth of JT Miller grows

23 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

What finally did it for me was when I would un-mute (??) when the play started back up, and she was still carping away; Hey Zeus!  Just shut up!

I don't really have an issue with HS, but CC has been unbearable.  Put HS with a better colour person and it'd be fine.......I will say they were not as bad as usual last night, imo 

• Upvote 1

And I get what BB was doing, but I can see why Halak was mad as it means he won't get his start today, most likely.

Miller can puss and moan, slam his stick, slam the door and he has "passion for the game" and is a real leader, but halak loses a starr and seems to show a frustrated reaction and he's a villain?  

Again, I didn't say it was the wrong move, or that I wouldn't do the same,  just that it's a CS move to out halak in and take his start away from him. 

surely you see a difference between on-ice behaviour and publicly pouting with your coach? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

First of all, Miller has paid his dues on the ice and has come through, big time, for the team...Halak has not. So Miller's "passion for the game" has an upside...we're waiting to see Halak's. If Miller had ONLY shown his moody side then sure, compare it. But Miller's earned the right to have moments, Halak has not.

Halak is a member of this team and....a "back up". Which means, when called upon, his job is to "back up" Demko. So he just wants to sit and watch and collect his bonuses and pay cheques?

You do what your team needs you to do .... the "worrying about HIS STARTS" is very much an I in team thing. 

And halak has done more in his career than Miller has

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I find it funny how "they're whiners" yet you and everyone else that supports this team is whining about the spanking they just gave us. They're a better team right now. We'll get there one day. 

It's kind of how it works on the "Canucks" fan forum. Those who don't support this team conveniently dismiss the 7-1 result that was weeks ago. And the fact that Calgary's made up of many Canuck cast offs. 

But let your Flame flag fly. For now. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not on this team. I don't care about what he's done before that....he has a job to do and throwing a tantrum because he's being put in is not shining a great light on him (for me).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

What has Halak done in his career exactly?

Miller has more regular season and playoff games played and been to the Eastern Conference finals twice.

Currently leads his team in scoring by a large margin.

• Vintage 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

Not on this team. I don't care about what he's done before that....he has a job to do and throwing a tantrum because he's being put in is not shining a great light on him (for me).

Can you show me this "tantrum"?  I certainly didn't see one

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It was a two second, instinctual reaction on the bench, at the end of the peeiod.  Not like he pulled a Roy here folks. 

Halak has had a helluva career and has been nothing but a professional........how about people show a good person and good goalie some leeway and respect.  Is that really too much to ask?

man when you hate a player you're all in. First, this has nothing to do with Miller. Can we at least begin there?

Yes it was unprofessional, and the icing on a lousy year. He got his bonus and he needs to waive, thats what a pro would do. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I think you can get over Halak's performance last night; just as you got over Millers bs start to the year.

If they beat BUF tonight, should that change things?  I don't think so, this team isn't good enough. I find it interesting that JR and Allvin are going to wait and see how the game play out and then decide tomorrow. Maybe they should decide today, because nothing going to change by tomorrow.  Tear it down, keep Miller if they must but only if he re-signs for $8 and no more than 5 years.  If he wants to moon, then say goodbye in the off season.  They got to make trades tomorrow, and more than Motte.