The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Same old story

Rate this topic

Bathgate

5 hours ago, Bathgate said:

I'm a canuck fan prior to 1970, most seasons are the same. Play well enough to be in the 9-14 draft spot. The team plays well after a poor start or plays poorly after a good start. To top that off, if we are in the 3-5 draft spot, we loss a couple of spots in the draft draw. Now we are starting a new tradition, being close enough at trade deadline not too trade for picks or prospects. We fire Benning, replacing the front office at a rate of 3 to 1, but with the same results. Is this the curse of Trevor Linden?

Typically a seller at the deadline is moving pending UFA's you don'\t intend to re-sign. The best pending UFA we have is Motte. I'd rather re-sign him than than get a long shot mid round pick. Chaisson might get a late round pick as cheap insurance. The only other guy is Halak but he's reportedly declined to waive. If he changed his mind after getting put in the Calgary game (and likely not to start todays game as a result) I'd happily trade him for a 7th rounder if they take his bonus money as well. Hell, I'd trade him and our 5th for a 7th if they take the bonus money. Particularly if we could get a 6th for Chaisson. 

Schenn I wouldn't move. You keep guys like him on cheap contracts. Playoff teams don't tend to trade for guys like Poolman or Dickenson unless they are pending ufa's and both are injured anyway. The only guy with value under contract I'd move is Boeser. Mainly because at 25 even teams out of the playoffs would have interest. Meaning a much better 1st rounder in the return package. But that can be done for the draft if not now.  Plus imo he's the most expendable of our high cap players.

Considering the teams record under Boudreau cleaning house, moves for the sake of just doing something, at this point would be a fools game.

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

ownership has given JR/PA and management full autonomy to make hockey ops decisions. 

JR has re-iterated this fact. 

where did people get the idea this has suddenly changed smh

That's easy. If JR/PA aren't doing what some want they are either idiots or it's the owners fault. They haven't been here long to write off as idiots yet so obviously the owner gets the blamed for not doing what they want. :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

It’s incredible how this fan base is always so quick to turn on the team after a bad loss or two. Yes, these losses were poorly timed seeing how were on the cusp of a playoff spot and right before the deadline, and yes, the team has looked lackluster a few games recently. But here’s some things to remember. Also before I move on, even with the recent losses, we still have an overall winning record in March, so before you go nuts over a few losses, take a step back. 

1. We have overall killed it under Boudreau. This team was horrible before Boudreau took over. The team had no confidence, no direction, no leadership, and nothing positive early in the year. We are 22-11-6 since the coaching change. This takes into account the stretch of games with many players in covid protocol where we were literally down to 1 or 2 available goalies from our entire organization for multiple games. We’ve had a lot of injuries and a lot of inconsistencies within the day to day lineup. 

2. This team is not in need of another rebuild. Our core group is awesome. Demko is among the best out there. Hughes is one of the best young dmen in the game. Miller has established himself as one of the best forwards in hockey. Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Garland are all top end forwards that play great hockey. Have they been inconsistent at times, yes. But overall that’s a great young core. Take into account that Podkolzin and Hoglander are both incredibly young and not even close to their peak. Our core forwards look set for long term success. 

I think we need to address two areas. Special teams and defense. I think our penalty kill and PP need to improve, and I believe that’s a coaching area because I truly believe our personnel can do better. I think we need a small retool on defense. I like our defense but obviously something is missing back there. 

Personally, as the trade deadline looms, I would try to move out small pieces and that’s it. We should not move any core pieces like Boeser or Garland. I would look to move Halak, 1 of Poolman or Hamonic, maybe try to find a more consistent improvement on a depth player like Chiasson. I would also look to get Rathbone back in over Hunt. Maybe try to give Lockwood a shot too. I would not make any big moves until the offseason though. I don’t think it’s smart. 

Anyway, my two cents. Calm down, relax. Enjoy the ride. Whatever happens, happens. You can’t win every game. 

Its not going nuts over two loses, its the way they lost the game... 

The discussion was if the team could make the playoffs, then it should, if not then so be it... but expected the team to show hunger to make the playoffs and that was not the case...

So if that is the most hunger they can muster, then the team isn't ready for playoffs... And if they is the case, then changes are needed...

• Cheers 1

imo, it may take moving 2 top players to get the speedy, younger, more skilled line up in place. they won't get those players by trading, pearson, dickinson, poolman or hamonic. he players we want to keep are the players, other teams want. if we can get the right players back, i'm okay with moving anybody.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

That's easy. If JR/PA aren't doing what some want they are either idiots or it's the owners fault. They haven't been here long to write off as idiots yet so obviously the owner gets the blamed for not doing what they want. :lol:

Lol

You can act smarmy now, but deep down, you know that I'm right.

The market has never been more of a sellers market than it is right now.  Rutherford came into this job and communicated that the team wasn't good enough, and needed to make changes.  Boudreau doesn't ever miss an opportunity to bash how bad the team is.  For months, there has been smoke surrounding a plethora of our players - way more than ever before, and certainly more than I can remember.  Yet, there's a real chance nothing gets done by Monday because of where the team sits in the standings.  I can tell you right now, if nothing gets done, it won't be because of a lack of suitable interest in our players, or because the management team decided to pull a 180 on how they felt about this team.  Hell, the whole thing about bringing in Jim Rutherford is that he was an executive that shared no attachment to his players  at any of the teams he was involved in.  Do you really think it'll be his idea and his call to stand pat, or make minimal moves by Monday?

3 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

ownership has given JR/PA and management full autonomy to make hockey ops decisions. 

JR has re-iterated this fact. 

where did people get the idea this has suddenly changed smh

Because this whole schtick about autonomy is something that gets thrown out on the first day every time a GM or executive is hired with this team.  The truth is, this "autonomy" to make meaningful changes is only granted when the team is a clearly a seller, or in more seldom cases, a buyer, and there's a slightly more leniency in the off-season.  All that's needed is a quick look to previous seasons to see this "same old story" play out.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Its not going nuts over two loses, its the way they lost the game... 

The discussion was if the team could make the playoffs, then it should, if not then so be it... but expected the team to show hunger to make the playoffs and that was not the case...

So if that is the most hunger they can muster, then the team isn't ready for playoffs... And if they is the case, then changes are needed...

I didn’t hear any complaints when we beat Calgary 7-1. We show a lack of passion for one game and this team is now sh@t.

Management is using this time to analyze.

We have gone on a great run under BB, this roster is overachieving. 

I will reserve my judgement until next season. Hoping for big changes.

We still might make the playoffs, I have a feeling JR and PA will make the right changes for the future, but that doesn't mean that the players on the ice won't fight until the last game.

Every season has ups and downs, can't play .700 hockey forever. We were behind the 8 ball after that start with the last regime.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, AV. said:

Lol

You can act smarmy now, but deep down, you know that I'm right.

The market has never been more of a sellers market than it is right now.  Rutherford came into this job and communicated that the team wasn't good enough, and needed to make changes.  Boudreau doesn't ever miss an opportunity to bash how bad the team is.  For months, there has been smoke surrounding a plethora of our players - way more than ever before, and certainly more than I can remember.  Yet, there's a real chance nothing gets done by Monday because of where the team sits in the standings.  I can tell you right now, if nothing gets done, it won't be because of a lack of suitable interest in our players, or because the management team decided to pull a 180 on how they felt about this team.  Hell, the whole thing about bringing in Jim Rutherford is that he was an executive that shared no attachment to his players  at any of the teams he was involved in.  Do you really think it'll be his idea and his call to stand pat, or make minimal moves by Monday?

Because this whole schtick about autonomy is something that gets thrown out on the first day every time a GM or executive is hired with this team.  The truth is, this "autonomy" to make meaningful changes is only granted when the team is a clearly a seller, or in more seldom cases, a buyer, and there's a slightly more leniency in the off-season.  All that's needed is a quick look to previous seasons to see this "same old story" play out.

And you know this how? All speculation and your opinion.

However, not saying you’re wrong, only time will tell.

10 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The only thing constant here is this bickering that only appears after losses.

I love that people who fall in love with mediocre teams get angry when people point out how disappointed they are that they want to win a cup and being mediocre is unacceptable. Fans fall in love with these players who have gotten us where. Below the playoff bar. It’s pathetic. We need to aspire to want more from this organization. Sometimes I wonder how much fans care about winning a cup. They just want to make the playoffs at times. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

I have read the comments, and believe that some are focused too.much on the here and now. Since Nov. I have stated we are in cap trouble, with bb, jtm, bh in line for raises we can't  budget. We need speed on the wings and mobility on defence. Why are we not trying to create space and picks at the best time.

Ps, I have given up hope of seeing a cup in my lifetime.

Edited by Bathgate