The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

9 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

How exactly did we get rid of the win? Yes we got a third for Hamonic, but statistically 3rd rounders don't often amount to much let alone a Dman with high upside who's played 250+ NHL games. There's somewhere around a 20% of a third round pick plays over 100 NHL games and only around 50% they play a game period. So, a third vs. Dermott isn't an easy argument to make as a loss. He's an upgrade over Hamonic and is cheaper. He's also better than Poolman who's making $1m a year more. Getting rid of Hamonic and his $3m a year is a win regardless of what we got in return...we should be thankful a team was willing to take him and we didn't have to retain salary.

We didn't "choose" Dermott, he's what was available in their demographic which was a young/ish defenseman on a good contract with upside...the opposite of Hamonic in that regard., You don't just choose players to trade for, they have to be available and attainable. Dermott is an upgrade over Hamonic, Hunt and Poolman. You make it seem like a high % of third rounders are impact players who regularly make NHL rosters and stick around...that's not the reality of it. 

Literally. We had a third rounder and 3 million in cap space yesterday from the trade. Now we have no 3rd rounder and 1.5 million in cap space. I would say that leaves us with 25% of the assets left from what we obtained in the Hamonic trade. That's how we got rid of the big win (75%). I think that's why people, myself included had the reaction they did. It was kind of like a gentle slap to the face.

I guess it's debatable but does Dermott really move the needle here? We had an abundance of RD to begin with. We could have easily finished the season out with Myers, Poolman, Schenn, Juulsen, Bowey, Woo, or waiver pickups and saved both the third and the cap. That's the argument I guess.

With regards to saying we didn't choose Dermott I hope we didn't just take him because he was some scrap laying on the sidewalk. I hope they actually did choose him to some degree and put a little effort into the deal.

As far as third rounders go I agree they are not overly valuable so I'm not that bent out of shape or anything, and like I've mentioned before we need a cheap LD for sure moving forward anyway. I think that's the underlying thinking when you are seeing those comments. I don't disagree our D is garbage so yah he might be better than the guys you listed, but we certainly could have progressed without him and addressed that in some other way. I'm not really arguing with you I don't disagree with what you said or hate the trade.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Literally. We had a third rounder and 3 million in cap space yesterday from the trade. Now we have no 3rd rounder and 1.5 million in cap space. I would say that leaves us with 25% of the assets left from what we obtained in the Hamonic trade. That's how we got rid of the big win (75%). I think that's why people, myself included had the reaction they did. It was kind of like a gentle slap to the face.

I guess it's debatable but does Dermott really move the needle here? We had an abundance of RD to begin with. We could have easily finished the season out with Myers, Poolman, Schenn, Juulsen, Bowey, Woo, or waiver pickups and saved both the third and the cap. That's the argument I guess.

With regards to saying we didn't choose Dermott I hope we didn't just take him because he was some scrap laying on the sidewalk. I hope they actually did choose him to some degree and put a little effort into the deal.

As far as third rounders go I agree they are not overly valuable so I'm not that bent out of shape or anything, and like I've mentioned before we need a cheap LD for sure moving forward anyway. I think that's the underlying thinking when you are seeing those comments. I don't disagree our D is garbage so yah he might be better than the guys you listed, but we certainly could have progressed without him and addressed that in some other way. I'm not really arguing with you I don't disagree with what you said or hate the trade.

Yeah Fair enough on your first point, I think from what I hear this management team likely puts more emphasis on stock piling prospects, early round picks and young talent than mid round picks (like most I'm sure). At the end of the day it really works out to essentially Hamonic for Dermott - which is ok in my eyes especially while saving money, how much is kind of irrelevant as we have bigger fish to fry in that category. If that was a straight across trade people would be pretty happy still I would imagine. Like you said, I don't put much stock in a 3rd round pick at this point. We need 1st and 2nd's to turn this corner. You're not going to get a young, 2nd round defenseman on a good contract for anything less. 

obviously Dermott doesn't "put us over the edge" or what have you but he improves our bottom pairing D as I think most see him as an improvement of Poolman, Juulsen, Hunt. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Lol at least it's nice to know I'm not special. I had that poster blocked for months so when I unblocked them to see a directed post within a couple weeks was kinda unnerved. Not sure how often that was happening, and it doesn't really matter. Just, very strange.

I don't like blocking people but I got 4 or 5 real winners on there right now. ::D I don't have him blocked but if I see him in a thread spreading his lunacy and attacking people who don't agree with him I just leave. He wrote me a nice 4 page essay in drunken, broken, seemingly acid induced English condemning me to hell because I said Miller was a good leader but I thought he acted pissy at times. Haha Good memories!

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

We had Winterpeg's 3rd rounder (from the Schmidt trade) that we traded for Dermott.  The 3rd rounder we got from the Senators was our own that went around the block (the one we traded to Vegas for Schmidt).  

Confused yet?  :bigblush:

Lol, I'm usually so confused I think I may actually have it figured out this time! B)

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yeah Fair enough on your first point, I think from what I hear this management team likely puts more emphasis on stock piling prospects, early round picks and young talent than mid round picks (like most I'm sure). At the end of the day it really works out to essentially Hamonic for Dermott - which is ok in my eyes especially while saving money, how much is kind of irrelevant as we have bigger fish to fry in that category. If that was a straight across trade people would be pretty happy still I would imagine. Like you said, I don't put much stock in a 3rd round pick at this point. We need 1st and 2nd's to turn this corner. You're not going to get a young, 2nd round defenseman on a good contract for anything less. 

obviously Dermott doesn't "put us over the edge" or what have you but he improves our bottom pairing D as I think most see him as an improvement of Poolman, Juulsen, Hunt. 

Lol, I was going to say thirds are garbage but it weakened my point. :lol: No I totally agree with what you're saying and I'm actually liking the direction. I think we're slightly better too but I'm pretty sure I've given up on the playoffs so this year it's irrelevant for me this year. If he solidifies himself as a regular contributing player for the 3 LD next year it's a win. It's not like it's big money either if it doesn't work out. Now we just need a quick 3 RD's and we're set. ^_^

One thing I will mention is I was hoping in addition to getting younger adding multiple picks to stock the farm. It would be cool if nothing else to have like 10 picks in the top 3 rounds one year. I want it all. haha!

• Like 1

This is a brilliant move, basically Hamonic for Dermott which anyone would do in a second. I think a lot of this is personality-wise though and I like that. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors but it sounds like a lot of the Canucks were pretty sour with Hamonic...

Then a hard working guy like Dermott comes in who the Leafs loved, and sounds a lot like Stecher in his hard work ethic. He's also got decent advanced stats despite not playing much. He's a former relatively high pick, left handed but has played mostly on the right side, very versatile, 25 and on 1.5M. 

Every way you look at this, it doesn't seem like much but it's a very savvy move by the young Canucks management team. We shed cap, get rid of a player who's fallen out of favour and get a young defenceman who has a bit of potential.

As to where he plays, he'll probably start on our bottom pairing but I'd be keen to see how he goes skating-wise with Hughes, and I'm sure that will be tried out. If Dermott doesn't woo us enough, management should really go out and get a top flight young defenceman because Dermott certainly isn't that, but he's got tremendous upside. 

It says a lot when a former team and fans are sad to see a player leave (eg. Motte) and the Leafs reception to this was quite similar.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 3/20/2022 at 1:35 PM, Warhippy said:

Wait...how?  Didn't he just go to the kraken as per the Giordano trade ?

I'm genuinely nervous about this as we haven't see any cost or return with this being JR and PAs first real move and having yet another LHD like Dermott is kind of redundant after giving up Harmonic.

I'm blabbering here but ...could be meh, could be yikes.  Could be Halak and we all drink to celebrate.

Celebrate what exactly? That out D sucks so bad that non super human Demko's can't keep the puck out of the net when handed the puck on a silver platter by our guys? Really? 

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

I think we’re gonna like Dermott a hell of a lot more than that chump Hamonic.

Im skeptic about the Dermott deal, maybe it might work out. Could turn out to be Pouliot? or Erhoff? the guy just needed a change of scenery so who knows but changes need to be made. Poolman Hamonic and Schenn are basically the same type of players

And yeah, I agree Hamonic is a chump. Good riddance with that tin foiled idiot. But muh muh fReEduMs!

21 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

How exactly did we get rid of the win? Yes we got a third for Hamonic, but statistically 3rd rounders don't often amount to much let alone a Dman with high upside who's played 250+ NHL games. There's somewhere around a 20% of a third round pick plays over 100 NHL games and only around 50% they play a game period. So, a third vs. Dermott isn't an easy argument to make as a loss. He's an upgrade over Hamonic and is cheaper. He's also better than Poolman who's making $1m a year more. Getting rid of Hamonic and his $3m a year is a win regardless of what we got in return...we should be thankful a team was willing to take him and we didn't have to retain salary.

We didn't "choose" Dermott, he's what was available in their demographic which was a young/ish defenseman on a good contract with upside...the opposite of Hamonic in that regard., You don't just choose players to trade for, they have to be available and attainable. Dermott is an upgrade over Hamonic, Hunt and Poolman. You make it seem like a high % of third rounders are impact players who regularly make NHL rosters and stick around...that's not the reality of it. Dermott is almost certainly better and more likely to make an impact than any third rounder we would have chosen.

100% agree. The problem with most the people posting negative reactions to Dermott is he was a leaf. People on this forum seriously under value the leaf's defense. Someone went as far to post that all leaf fans disliked Dermott and saw him as a terrible player, which is totally false. He is a good mobile two way defenseman(2nd rounder,34th), who was taken over on the depth chart by two first rounders(17th&29th) with higher skills. (first rounders usually do surpass 2nd rounders).  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

That's not fair. He has a young daughter with serious underlying health conditions. It's okay for him to have his concerns and do what he thinks is best for his family. Don't act like he rented a truck and joined a convoy.

People seem to forget hockey players have families, one of the biggest factors in a trade(Why "no trade" clauses are asked). 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the Dermott and Hamonic trades more and more.

Hamonic missed a lot of games, and not all because he was injured. I don't think he gave his all in VAN, he didn't get in many fights anyway. From what I hear he didn't get along very well with his team mates, differences of opinion probably. He's also 31 and makes $3.

Dermott is 6 years younger, plays both right and left, is half the price of Hamonic, and they feel he has good analytics and upside. I think he'll do really well in VAN.

The 3rd round picks are a wash, but....VAN traded WPG's 3rd to TOR for Dermott, so if OTT finishes below WPG in the standings, that's an added small bonus of moving up a few spots in that 3rd round.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hamonic missed a lot of games, and not all because he was injured. I don't think he gave his all in VAN, he didn't get in many fights anyway. From what I hear he didn't get along very well with his team mates, differences of opinion probably. He's also 31 and makes $3.

Dermott is 6 years younger, plays both right and left, is half the price of Hamonic, and they feel he has good analytics and upside. I think he'll do really well in VAN.

The 3rd round picks are a wash, but....VAN traded WPG's 3rd to TOR for Dermott, so if OTT finishes below WPG in the standings, that's an added small bonus of moving up a few spots in that 3rd round.

They sent our own 3rd rounder back to us not their own

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah the main difference in players is that Hamonic seemed to be a prima donna at times and seemed to not be available when we needed him. Dermott seems excited to be apart of this group and ready to go. Can not afford any bad locker room energy, need some more of that Willie Mitchell big stick energy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1