The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did JR/PA do on TDL 2022? (10 being best, 1 being worst)

Rate this topic

HKSR

Scale of 1 - 10, how did JR/PA do on TDL 2022?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pods got sent down!  So we can add a 37 year old Richardson!!!  

It's been such a good TDL.  :sick:

Pods got "papered" down so that he can play in the AHL play offs, after the next 18 nhl games

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah I know the agree to disagree came out stupidly.

We 0% had to trade Motte; it is a huge loss to the team; the 2023 4th is virtually worthless - mathematical expectation almost zero (the 5% and 10% being tossed around may be if a player plays 10, 20, 50, or a 100 games, not several years of NHL games.)

We were not going to re-sign him at what he can command in UFA, that is moot.

The cap savings is negligible, but real, I'll give you that, but you might also consider the team, coaches, and paying fans (not computer warriors).

(Try taking your grandson to a game and explaining the teams sucks but isn't it neat we get to try to draft some one who probably will never play for us (but might) years from now.)

We're not holding anyone back; in fact, we're probably not holding enough young players back long enough.

I do my thinking with my head thank you very much; my heart is for pumping blood up into my raging face!

Lol Bud; I gotta get off this Marchanding computer.

The bolded is the epitome of why we had to trade him for something (anything). 

I think where we differ is that you think having Motte in the lineup for the remaining 18 games means we still have a chance at the playoffs whereas I do not.

It's time to accept that we aren't making the playoffs this year; nor should we, as we won't go far even if we do and all it'll do is see us end up with a worse draft pick. 

37 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Motte is not the catalyst for us "winning now", and we 100% did have to trade Motte because we cannot afford what he's asking for and thus will not be re-signing him. 

No one "wanted" Motte to be traded - players, fans, coaches, etc. - but the writing was on the wall for having to make this trade. The cap space and pick in a deep draft are worth more than 18 games in a failed season, especially if it also means we hold back a budding prospect from making the jump. If you think otherwise then you're thinking with your heart and not your head.

FWIW, agreeing to disagree means we agree to, well, disagree, so of course you don't have to agree with my position; therein lies the agreement. 

I doubt a 4th rounder from a playoff contending Rangers will be worth much. It's basically a high 5th rounder. The Motte trade was done to cut losses, nothing more. We did not improve this team, nor did we acquire anymore draft picks in this supposed "deep draft".

This was a poor performance in a deadline.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

There is room in the press box, if his play warrants it, there is also  room on the ice, or  simply put him on waivers so not an issue.

Just the statement your making as a management group that bothers me. I didn’t expect it from this “ forward thinking group”. Reminds me of the old  management.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

I doubt a 4th rounder from a playoff contending Rangers will be worth much. It's basically a high 5th rounder. The Motte trade was done to cut losses, nothing more. We did not improve this team, nor did we acquire anymore draft picks in this supposed "deep draft".

This was a poor performance in a deadline.

I think what we did was fine, but I would've liked to see them do more. I voted 2/10.

We got whatever we could for a player that isn't re-signing with us, so it's certainly better than nothing.

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We may NOT be in a rush to do anything at this point, but for a fan base that has literally seen this exact MO for almost 8 years; it is frustrating to have thought we'd be seeing anything different; only to receive more of the exact same.

100% this ^^^^ Bang on!

More of the same ... even the messenging. I've even noticed it in several interviews with JR and Allvin. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Itchyfinger said:

Just the statement your making as a management group that bothers me. I didn’t expect it from this “ forward thinking group”. Reminds me of the old  management.

Nothing has changed other than the people in the managers' chairs.  the guy directing the philosophy is still the same.  

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

We gave up a 3rd for a supposed PMD defenseman with 5 measly points playing with Marner Tavares Matthews Nylander Bunting Kerfoot etc. 

Also gave away our best bottom 6 player in Motte for a 4th rounder. 

The cap space we gained is insignificant with the likes of Poolman, Dickinson, Myers, Halak still on the books for the next 3 years.

Today was a massive disappointment. 

Poolman gets hated for no reason, but he serves a purpose. If he wasn't injured, he would've been useful for eating minutes.

Note how Dickinson received a 3rd rounder. (Different time period). Motte got a 4th. We traded Dermott for a third. Teams offloaded their unwanted players, especially if they were out of the picture. We bought and sold like a middleman.

I don't know how anyone can rationalize this deadline as being higher than a 2.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

No but try negotiating before the last minute.

There are people saying they didn't check in and people saying they have checked in for a while now. They knew what he wanted, tried to get him to sign for less, but his agent has said he wants 3rd line money as a 4th line player. It was time to move on.

I'm ok with it, but not going to give a rating.

I haven't watched Dermott a lot, and I feel we downgraded a bit there, but we are also paying a lot less salary. 

As for Motte, I wished we got more and I believe he's worth a bit more. With that said, it's better than getting nothing for him.

The fact that nobody else moved is ok with me. If we aren't making the playoffs then it doesn't really matter and they can move assets later if need be. I think our core is a lot better than most fans and "experts" make it out to be.

I kinda was hoping a contender might overpay for some names that were out there, and change is always exciting, but guess that will have to wait.

Just now, Jester13 said:

There are people saying they didn't check in and people saying they have checked in for a while now. They knew what he wanted, tried to get him to sign for less, but his agent has said he wants 3rd line money as a 4th line player. It was time to move on.

Ok, and where do we stand now after the trade? We saved 800 k this season, and we gain a low 4th round pick. We are so rich! What about our other players? How much does 1.5 mill (savings from Hamonic) + 800 k do for us?

36 minutes ago, gurn said:

No you don't. The press box has room, and if the prospect is good enough Richardson is put back on waivers.

On a minimum contract expiring after this year picked up for free? No reason to get excited about this move either way. Good for Brad.

Just now, Jester13 said:

Last week his agent said on TV they hadn't spoken yet. Last week, they've had months to negotiate.  Teams were handing out picks like candy... if they knew they weren't going to sign him last week, why not start looking for a better dance partner than someone offering a late 4th. 

For me this move is very Benningish. Waiting too long... are we back to living day to day? 

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Ok, and where do we stand now after the trade? We saved 800 k this season, and we gain a low 4th round pick. We are so rich! What about our other players? How much does 1.5 mill (savings from Hamonic) + 800 k do for us?

$2m+ savings plus a 4th is at least something, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here? I'm guessing you're upset they didn't do more, in which case I already provided my thoughts to you in my other post on how I feel about that as well.

Edited by Jester13

As I've always said, we are now seeing the true damage that Benning and Weisbrod caused.  His most ardent supports are drowning this forum with their tears, upset at the fact that this mess couldn't be fixed in half a season.  And here's the thing:  It's not going to be fixed any time soon.  It will be YEARS before this team sees the daylight.

Was this a good deadline?  Hell no.  But the fact remains the team came out of this with less money on their books going into next year, a younger player, and an asset for a player they weren't bringing back.  Small wins, small wins.  Way better than if Benning and Weisbrod were still here.  Knowing those two, they'd be salivating at the sight of being 4 points out.  They probably would have tried to bring in Rackell, Copp, etc. and hoping that they could sneak into 8th place and go on a miracle run.  Imagine how disastrous that would have been.

Look, this is the state the Canucks are in:  No money, no future, but for now, the guys in charge are chipping away and making small improvements.  May as well support them until they give us factual and tangible reasons to distrust them.

Just now, Jester13 said:

$2m+ savings plus a 4th is at least something, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here? I'm guessing you're upset they didn't so more, in which case I already provided my thoughts to you in my other post on how I feel about that as well.

It's something, but some people are overvaluing picks like a 4th round to justify the lack of action.