The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Up - Boeser -- Re-Sign or Trade

Rate this topic

HKSR

How Much Will Boeser Get?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 minutes ago, BPA said:

For the trade Boeser camp, what do you want as a return?  Pick and a prospect?  

Wanting won't factor into it.  Getting will be hard enough.

Sniper Brock has a mere 5 goals more than Pearson.  If, that's if, he stays injury-free,

Brock's not likely to reach even 50 points, despite his favorably offensive ice-time.

He floats away from the puck, can't hit or back-check so to me, he's worth even less

than Pearson's already over-valued salary.

Thing is, trading Brock might see another emotional off-season sulk from his buddies.

He could use a hard spell in Abby for once, to find his game, otherwise you gotta see

JR as viewing the cap space way more useful toward restructure.

Be lucky to get a pick or prospect; offered both, JR should grab it and run.

55 minutes ago, BPA said:

You would still say no if by next years TDL a team offers a 1st + prospect for Boeser at 50%?

OK.

I wouldn't, if we're trading established young NHL players I do NOT want picks as a centrepiece of a trade. The prospect won't make any impact for a while either. 

We need an established young player preferably a D if not just keep him. Better than getting a low first and a project.

Just now, grandmaster said:

He is a perimeter player who rarely drives a play. Good shot and decent spurts of speed. Just weak on the puck. 

>5M per or nothing 

At this point what he's going for him is his age and potential to get better.  Plus a pedigree.   Not from his draft slot of course, but what he's managed.   Remember this guys playing against the top players in the NHL.   Allvin can do anything he wants with him and it could or could not work out for us.   I'd err on the side of caution.   To me that's offer him a fair deal that works for the team, if it doesn't then arbitration.  

4 hours ago, grumpyone said:

sign him at 5/season with performance bonuses that could net him another 2.

ie: 40 goals or 70pts

This would be ideal. Look at the rest of the Canucks and compare Brock internally. Most of our forwards producing around his level are making 5M, how does he deserve 7M which is Petey/Hughes money (and really only because they have such high potential). Brock fits in with the Garland/Horvat crew instead.

I'd be happy to sign him to 5.5-6.5M but ideally under 6M and get some sneaky bonuses in there. If he's asking for 7M (which he may well do looking at Hertl) then we're stuck, you don't want to lose an RFA. The option then would be to sign and trade him, but a big contract like that will only drop his value more and then I think we'd be looking for a 1-for-1 hockey trade.

If that's the case, we try and flip him to a contender for a young defenceman in his early 20s who's played a season or two.

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

He is a perimeter player who rarely drives a play. Good shot and decent spurts of speed. Just weak on the puck. 

>5M per or nothing 

Exactly.  Let Boeser walk and sign Kapanen to 3 mil.  That's a huge cap savings.  We have to stop signing guys to these less than value contracts.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Toffoli is a more complete player that provides about the same offence. That can change if BB is a late bloomer but for now TT > BB

Tofu is a far superior defensive player and much harder to play against too.  And a proven winner. 

• Upvote 1

I think Boeser has too much value to let walk away. That would be a mistake in my opinion. 

I think you re-sign him for something between 5.5-6.5 million per year. The higher end gets him shorter term and the lower gets him more. 

This gives him options between a bridge to prove he has more in him and this was a down season or take some financial security and term. On the Canucks end this gives them a couple options, either Brock can remain apart of the team and hopefully we start to find some more success across the board or they can also trade him for prospects/picks in a year or two if it isn't working out/a great offer comes in.  

• Vintage 1

Just a reminder of what a rock star Brock actually was before his injuries.  Check out his first year goal highlights.  He was a completely different player - lateral movement with total ease, his shot was incredible (no we weren't imagining it - it was incredible), total ease of movement.  He - and we - got robbed of him being an amazing player for us.  Poor kid.  Just watch this vid, the difference is night and day from how he does his best now.  The kid was incredible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Let Boeser walk and sign Kapanen to 3 mil.  That's a huge cap savings.  We have to stop signing guys to these less than value contracts.

Last year Brock was better then Miller was for us, at age 23/24.   So i wouldn't be too quick to judge how things have gone for him this year.   Don't know his stats with Bruce, but like EP i'm sure they've improved.   We do have Garland whom i think has played really well for us (better then Brock this year for sure) ... so a trade makes some sense too.   Feel we try and re-sign him to a similar deal as Garland has (a bit more) but if that's not what he wants then arbitration time.   Both help our team. 

29 minutes ago, Barefoot said:

Just a reminder of what a rock star Brock actually was before his injuries.  Check out his first year goal highlights.  He was a completely different player - lateral movement with total ease, his shot was incredible (no we weren't imagining it - it was incredible), total ease of movement.  He - and we - got robbed of him being an amazing player for us.  Poor kid.  Just watch this vid, the difference is night and day from how he does his best now.  The kid was incredible. 

Rookie year looked like an assassin. That wrist shot was his main weapon.  
He got it off quickly, had velocity and was accurate. Torqued the shoulder down, bent the stick and shot from in feet. 
Two wrist surgeries later, he doesn’t have that deadly wrister. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Barefoot said:

Seriously.  What happened to Brock?  Watching these highlights its like night and day.  He's playing like he's 35 not 25.  Slow, and missing or flubbing shots. No confidence. He's also the player who passed the puck into Horvats skates to cause the counter rush by the Red Wings resulting in their only and winning goal against us.  He is mostly always the one on the line who caused the turnover, can't win a puck battle.  What happened to our All Star pick who won the MVP prize?  So much promise.

Sadly, I just don't see much of a rebound happening. He has steadily declined over a period of time now.  He can still score, but he has to be in the right place at the right time. He doesn't create the scoring chances, he just finishes them....or is supposed to. If he starts even missing those chances, then its time to think about what we could get for him before the rest of the league catches on.

Heck ,I don't want to trade Boeser, but because of the past GMs incompetence, We are in a position that we desperately have to find more cap space, and/or find more picks.  So if I had to chose one of the "core" I'd choose Boeser.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Thanks JM

So if BB gets his qualifying offer this year we still have him as an rfa after that.

That should change things a bit, both for whether or not we want to keep him as well as his trade value. 

it should, team control even for 1 more year matters. 

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Rookie year looked like an assassin. That wrist shot was his main weapon.  
He got it off quickly, had velocity and was accurate. Torqued the shoulder down, bent the stick and shot from in feet. 
Two wrist surgeries later, he doesn’t have that deadly wrister. 

Yup - complete ease of movement.  It ain't just the wrist surgeries - it's the back surgery.  Look how effortlessly he moved around.  Totally fluid.  Completely different now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why walk away if some team will give us something back in return.

If we can at least get a 1st rounder, we should do it.

I would personally prefer 2-3 year short term deal south of 7. Give him motivation to play well so that he can get paid, we milk out good production at least during those 2-3 years.

2 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

He also sticks up for his teammates can play PK and a  stanley cup winner on top of providing 25 Goals and 50 + Points.

And this supports what Allvin found out talking about Boeser's value with other GM's this TDL.  He said he learned.  IMO he learned Boeser has no trade value.  I'm hoping we can sign Boeser to a Tofoli level deal, or we just let him walk as a UFA and clear cap.  I'd be pissed if we trade him for another guy, like him, who is overpaid and we are stuck again with a crap contract.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Why walk away if some team will give us something back in return.

If we can at least get a 1st rounder, we should do it.

I would personally prefer 2-3 year short term deal south of 7. Give him motivation to play well so that he can get paid, we milk out good production at least during those 2-3 years.

If we could get a first for Boeser don't you think he'd have been traded at this TDL?  His QO kills his value.  He's a guy teams walk from.  Or they trade him for another team's equally bad contract circumstance.  JR and PA said we need to clear cap.  If we have to let Boeser walk v having another bad contract, I am hopeful we chose letting Boeser walk.

And  then I think another team will sign him to 4.5 per.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Resign him long term while his value is at its lowest, we can trade him down the road after he pots 30 in a season for a Dman. 

Not a bad idea actually