The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Taking Advantage of Vegas

7 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

oh didnt know that. it seems like that could be a tool to tank or punish players.

i would not do that as a gm unless its a last resort or the player is a obvious cancer. what player would want to play for a boss that treats its players like that. not a good look imo

I would take advantage of another team needing to do that if we can. Could off-load Ferland and acquire some assets(high pick/prospects). We'd have to be able to handle his cap-hit the rest of the way this year though. Get them to retain a bit. Dadanov at 3.5M-4M for 1 year(next year) would be a decent rental piece for us and could allow us to part with Boeser in the off-season while having a cheaper fill in for the year.

Vegas would have to pay extra too knowing we're both competing for the same playoff spot. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

My understanding is that the team MUST move out contracts to create the cap space to reactivate the healthy player.

As explained above, any players traded now after the TDL cannot play for the remainder of this season (exception would be if Dadanov waives to go to ANA as per original trade deal).

If VGK can't move out enough cap to be compliant they will have to be penalized in some way.

This is Vegas we're talking about...

Bettman:  Vegas has been fined the maximum amount for breach of cap compliance.  The team will be paying $50,000 in penalties for the remainder of the 2021-22 season.

lol

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I would take advantage of another team needing to do that if we can. Could off-load Ferland and acquire some assets(high pick/prospects). We'd have to be able to handle his cap-hit the rest of the way this year though. Get them to retain a bit. Dadanov at 3.5M-4M for 1 year(next year) would be a decent rental piece for us and could allow us to part with Boeser in the off-season while having a cheaper fill in for the year.

Vegas would have to pay extra too knowing we're both competing for the same playoff spot. 

i would seriously not take this lightly. Dadonov would be exremely pissed, might even demand a trade pissed. This might piss off our own players, that are still hoping for playoffs and might piss off EP40 and podkolzin who are his best buds. There is a reason there is almost zero of these trades made, the players want to play

6 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i would seriously not take this lightly. Dadonov would be exremely pissed, might even demand a trade pissed. This might piss off our own players, that are still hoping for playoffs and might piss off EP40 and podkolzin who are his best buds. There is a reason there is almost zero of these trades made, the players want to play

Yes I agree with this. I don't think VAN should go anywhere near this mess.

I can imagine if they really had to VGK could just waive Reilly Smith ($5m same cap as Dadanov) and he might get picked up by a team such as NYR. His contract expires this year. VGK have reportedly been working on an extension with Smith so if he's not too pissed with them, he might resign with VGK in the off season...

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Boeser's not getting move until the off-season. Best buds or not he's probably getting moved if we're keeping Miller. If not him than Garland or even both as more guys need raises.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes I agree with this. I don't think VAN should go anywhere near this mess.

I can imagine if they really had to VGK could just waive Reilly Smith ($5m same cap as Dadanov) and he might get picked up by a team such as NYR. His contract expires this year. VGK have reportedly been working on an extension with Smith so if he's not too pissed with them, he might resign with VGK in the off season...

Dadonov has another year left after this one :wacko: Vegas is in a real mess...

Just now, BigTramFan said:

One assumes that VGK will be able to find a trade for him in the off season outside his 10 team no trade list

Won't help them now though.  They need to move someone to activate Martinez who presumably is getting healthy.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Man it got quiet in here after the TDL passed lol... anyways...

Assuming Vegas' trade with Anaheim is revoked, I propose that the Canucks take advantage.

Vegas clearly need to clear cap.  So make them pay for it.

TRADE #1

To VAN:

Dadonov

2023 1st Round Pick

To VGK:

Hoglander

Vegas clears over $4M in cap doing this, it costs them a 1st, but they get a very good prospect back in Hoglander.

Vancouver does this to get that 1st round pick, and really, having Dadonov in the lineup for 2022-23 isn't a big deal as we expect to take a step back next year anyways.  He's off the books when Horvat needs his raise.  Hoglander is clearly in the doghouse.

On to the next steps... Boeser and Miller.

TRADE #2

To VAN:

Debrusk

Lysell

2022 1st Round Pick

To BOS:

JT Miller

Boston gets walloped this post season, so they want to load up for next year.  In comes JT Miller.

Vancouver gets highly touted A-tier prospect Lysell, disgruntled but effective Debrusk, and a 1st round pick.

TRADE #3

To VAN:

Zacha

2022 2nd Round Pick

To NJD:

Boeser

NJD get their offensive winger for Hughes.

VAN gets a decent 3C in Zacha, but also a very high 2nd round pick this year.

So what does this all look like moving forward?  LOTS of cap.  LOTS of flexibility to improve.

Canucks will also have two 1st round picks this year AND next year.  They also gain a missing 2nd round pick back this year.

Lines for 2022-23

Garland-Petey-Podz

Dadonov-Horvat-Debrusk

Pearson-Zacha-Dickinson

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Poolman

Dermott-Myers

Lines for 2023-24

Garland-Petey-Podz

Lysell-Horvat-Debrusk

Pearson-Zacha-Dickinson

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Top 4 RHD via UFA (Weegar, Cernak, Severson, etc)

OEL-Poolman

Dermott-Myers

Cap202526-TDL.jpg.3483aa74211b5ee128d3266dfb7f46e2.jpg

I like the overall thinking, but to be honest I don't think we have to give up Hogs. He's shown top-6 potential, just has gone through a sophomore slump. He's got wheels and works extremely hard, and does have good hands, its just been a tough year for him. 

Vegas needs to unload Dadonov if they want to reactivate Stone or Martinez, and whoever takes on Dadonov has to eat his contract this year even though he wont be allowed to play. 

Realistically it would look like:

To Van: Dadonov + 1st
To Vegas: Future considerations (or 7th round pick for show)

Remember that Dadonov too is negative value for us next year, he's not playing to his 5m contract, so we have to really be wanting a deeper rebuild and be willing to write off next year if we make that deal. Is that worth a late 1st? Honestly I think probably not.

Our core is young and just about to enter their primes, the focus should be on unloading older players (great start with Hamonic) like Myers & Pearson, and leveraging Brock's scoring abilities to land a bona fide top-4 defenseman that's defensively solid, can eat minutes, and run the penalty kill. Unload dickinson, or bury him in the minors and get back 1.6m in cap space. 

We can look to Europe or the college system to try to find one or two middle 6 players that can contribute more value than their ELCs. 

We aren't that many moves away from being a strong playoff team. The focus should be on upgrading the blue line, and shaving cap space off wherever possible to make it happen. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know where to start with this. I don't like how the D remains virtually untouched.

1. Dadonov is past his prime and we're giving up our future also we're not in a position to be taking cap dumps.

2. Miller trade is close, I'd add Brandon Carlo just to get me to listen. So Carlo Debrusk Lysell and a 1st or they can take a hike.

3. BB should be traded for a RD not a 3C imo

We should be solidifying our D maybe use BB + To pry Pelech off the Islanders or a similar right side defensive D 

Edited by Ferlands_Head

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Won't help them now though.  They need to move someone to activate Martinez who presumably is getting healthy.

Yes absolutely. Hence my earlier comment about waiving R Smith would probably sort the issue for this year.

But I thought your comment was that VGK still need to get rid of Dadanov's cap hit next year, which is likely true as well. My response was that at least they will have the time during off season to make a deal that considers his m-NTC. 

I don't like the Vegas trade, they are desperate to move cash to fit their main roster players in so I don't see why we have to give up Hoglander. I'd even be fine with making that pick a 2nd and changing Hog to be Dickinson or Poolman. Clear some cap for us and Vegas saves money next season by about 2.5 mil. 

The Boston trade is interesting. I know people think we should be getting the moon for Miller, and I think in reality a lot of people will be disappointed with the return.

I'd likely take the Boston deal if they tossed in another pick maybe a 2nd round. 

21 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Very real chance that 1rst rounder doesn’t become as good as Hogs! Not really taking advantage of them here. If you really want to take advantage of Vegas offer sheet Nic Hague 4.11 mill the max amount that remains just a 2nd round pick.

I'd be interested in Roy and Hague. If we were able to take advantage. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boknows08 said:

Any trade with Miller going to Boston, Carlo has to comeback. 

With Vegas we should offer sheet Nicolas Roy. Big rh centre. Perfect for the 3c. 

I like this plan. We could probably get him for an OS of $2.055m and only cost us a 2023 3rd.

Sign Nick Paul as UFA and put together our own version of Minny's GREEF line: Paul-Horvat-Roy

Put them up against any team's top line next season. And if for some reason we can't resign Miller and Horvat in 2023-24, then we have a couple of great candidates to center our 3rd line in Roy and Paul.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I like this plan. We could probably get him for an OS of $2.055m and only cost us a 2023 3rd.

Sign Nick Paul as UFA and put together our own version of Minny's GREEF line: Paul-Horvat-Roy

Put them up against any team's top line next season. And if for some reason we can't resign Miller and Horvat in 2023-24, then we have a couple of great candidates to center our 3rd line in Roy and Paul.

What a line that would be lol. I'm interested in Crowse as well. Big and can skate like the others. 3 way deal.

Van Crowse, pick

NJ Boeser

Ari pick, prospect

Although a forward or 2 has to go to fix the defence.