The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Mar. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

As long as they have a Smurfy attitude and have fun! - well, everyone except for Grouchy anyway

I've noticed the struggle for the smaller players, especially against teams like STL and MIN. If the Canucks are serious about playoffs, they need to get tougher. Maybe then they'll get some swagger. 

This year has proven that matching a coach to the roster, is as important as, acquiring players.  The team had toughness, in the forward group but Green preferred, the veterans.  Anyways and [hopefully], the dysfunction in the front office, is loooong gone ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

This year has proven that matching a coach to the roster, is as important as, acquiring players.  The team had toughness, in the forward group but Green preferred, the veterans.  Anyways and [hopefully], the dysfunction in the front office, is loooong gone ?

I mean, you can only hope and imagine that the dysfunction in the front office is gone. But who knows really. Can’t be worse than Benning and Weisbrod. Those two have to be one of the worse in recent Canucks history.

I’ve said it a few times, but I don’t think Benning gets a GM gig again in the league. He had one chance to prove if he could do well, and he sucked ass for almost 10 years. That’s horrible. Chiarelli for the same reasons, I think, in Edmonton, has not gotten another front office gig to my knowledge and awareness at least. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, you can only hope and imagine that the dysfunction in the front office is gone. But who knows really. Can’t be worse than Benning and Weisbrod. Those two have to be one of the worse in recent Canucks history.

I’ve said it a few times, but I don’t think Benning gets a GM gig again in the league. He had one chance to prove if he could do well, and he sucked ass for almost 10 years. That’s horrible. Chiarelli for the same reasons, I think, in Edmonton, has not gotten another front office gig to my knowledge and awareness at least. 

Valid points.  JB has proven, he is a good assistant and not the top dog.  As for Weisbrod, we didn't hear anything from him but good chance, he had his hands in everything: both the good & bad.  JR has taken his time to build his team and it will be interesting, what there legacy will be like.  A big part of the new crew, is consisted of JRs' old Penguins front office and we can only assume certain things based on there moves & results, while they were there.  I always, add luck cause planning is one thing but execution, is another with so many unknown factors - especially, injuries or a pandemic.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

24 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Chiarelli is VP of hockey ops for St Louis.  He interviewed for the GM job in Chicago.

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, it feels like for fans it’s game to game. Against Colorado, he scored that beauty goal, and everyone it seems was back on the Brock wagon. 

Didn’t score a goal against St. Louis, and everyone’s off the wagon again. 

You just know that there would be a meltdown on here, if we simply let in walk in FA. You astutely stated what the issues were in your previous post.

JR and PA are caught between a rock and a hard place. 

A team has to commit to putting BB on a line with a setup man and a worker bee to hunt pucks. Otherwise they will not be able to maximize his skill set. 

Maybe the Pens?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, Brock’s contract definitely a headache. That’s why JR and PA are being paid the big bucks. But couldn’t Brock sign for less and longer term and security? Worse case scenario is if he becomes a UFA, then we lose him for absolutely nothing, and he can sign with any team for whatever amount. Benning really &^@#ed us up big time with a contract like that. It’s obvious to me that he thought of preserving himself rather than looking at the organization. 

The good news is JR/PA are not going to let him walk for nothing. They'll do anything they have to, even if we dont want to keep him. Potentially sign-and-trade like Boston's plan for Jake Debrusk. 

But being unwilling to let Motte go for nothing is a good sign re: their asset management plan imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, it feels like for fans it’s game to game. Against Colorado, he scored that beauty goal, and everyone it seems was back on the Brock wagon. 

Didn’t score a goal against St. Louis, and everyone’s off the wagon again. 

Agreed, but watching Brock all year...the amount of times he misses the net completely or hits the goalie right in the crest is pretty frustrating. Brock isn't a creative offensive player...he's scores with his shot and that's about it. of his 19 goals this year, a large amount of them have been tap ins and rebounds in front of the net...most of them aren't overly impressive or from hard work or creativeness.....that's my main thing with him is he doesn't really impress with anything other than the odd nice snipe. 

Brock doesn't have a lot of value unless he's scoring. He's not physical, he's not "fast", doesn't kill penalties and he doesn't set the tone so to speak like Miller. Unless Brock is scoring somewhat consistently, to me he doesn't have a ton of value. There's just not much about his play this year that's overly inspiring, in a contract year too that's pretty surprising and not a great sign. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

You just know that there would be a meltdown on here, if we simply let in walk in FA. You astutely stated what the issues were in your previous post.

A team has to commit to putting BB on a line with a setup man and a worker bee to hunt pucks. Otherwise they will not be able to maximize his skill set. 

Maybe the Pens?

100% bang on, Brock needs a particular situation to flourish. 

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Me too. I do wish Podkolzin was a bit more involved offensively or with his body though. He has the size and talent for it. I don't see any reason why he can't be involved offensively like he has the past couple games offensively all of the time. 

Defensively, I think hes ahead of the curve. That's where I see ROR in him. But some of his IQ in the offensive zone for little things like movement away from the puck, having the anticipation for offensive moments, etc. is something he will have to figure out how to be consistent with. Having said that, usually that's something you're bred with. Rarely do guys figure it out once they're mature players. 

I agree, but every time I start thinking that way I remember he's only 20 years old...he's got a lot of learning and maturing to do even physically yet.  

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Islandclarky said:

Lots of chatter about how we have to get faster and more physical , unfortunately those 2 things are not Brocks strengths.                  Do you really get inspired when he is out there anymore?                       Alf  you said he could be traded, which  teams do you feel would use that kind of money  over 6 I imagine he'll  be asking for ?                              I think that money should be spent on players with  faster motor, with a heck of a lot more intensity

He needs to be traded to a team lacking goal scoring that needs a #1 right winger. At $6 million+ teams won’t be trading for him to play on the 2nd line. He’s slow and doesn’t hit much but if he is your #1 winger and can get you 30 goals then a team would pick him up. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Maybe the Pens?

Miller   Pettersson   Boeser 

The Lotto line was great in it’s day. Unfortunately we cannot pay a winger $8.5 million+ in order to keep Brock and that line together. 

There is the possibility you can put Podkolzin on that line as the left winger and make it work. Miller then becomes your #2 C. However, for cap purposes I don’t think we can afford both Miller and Boeser. One has to go for sure. Maybe both go. Who knows. 

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Maybe the Pens?

Yup, cause he has become another disappointment....just like Jake Virtanen .....hasn't been the same really since his back injury....and yes thanks to JB they are now stuck with this conundrum....can only hope JR/PA can do something

18 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Yup, cause he has become another disappointment....just like Jake Virtanen .....hasn't been the same really since his back injury....and yes thanks to JB they are now stuck with this conundrum....can only hope JR/PA can do something

Last year was after his back injury wasn't it?   Of course it was.  Man part of me hopes we trade him for a bag of pucks and he turns into Brett Hull lite on a different team just so i can rub it in.    No he's not having a good year.   And doesn't have enough games to turn it around either.    What he does have is a big enough sample size to say he does belong.    Somewhere anyways.   Jake nope. 

Edited by IBatch

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Petey? Uhhh…no. 

Brock probably gone, unless management can come to terms with his agent on a long term deal at a lower cap hit. It’s obvious to pretty much everyone that he’s not going to be signed at 7.5M cap hit moving forward. Brock just hasn’t earned that kind of deal. 

Pearson I can see moved this off-season for a pick. 

Petey isn’t going anywhere. 

Miller is 50/50 in terms of either moving on (traded), or signing here long term. 

Either way, we’re going to see what this management group is made up of. Some think there might not be a lot of player movement this off-season, but I think there’s going to be quite a bit on this team. In fact, I dare say that next year’s version of the Canucks could look vastly different from the team that we’re seeing play on a nightly basis here this season. 

Agree. To be honest, I think the team takes a stutter step backwards for a year before leaping forward. But then do we still have Bruce?

15 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Like Motte? 

I liked Motte's game but he is not an O'Reilly calibre player (guy was a conn smythe winner in '19). Motte is a dime a dozen. Having an elite, impact player with that skill set in the top 6 is what is a rare commodity.