The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oscars Launch Formal Review of Will Smith After Chris Rock Slap

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Bill Maher is a well known proponent of anti woke culture.  He's a dinosaur quickly fading from relevance and is doing everything he can to retain any kind of power he might have had.  His comments were a bit so veiled condemnation of "hurt feelings"

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

You don't get to tell other people their feelings are right or wrong.  By doing so all you do is invalidate them further.  

Again, if it were something she made a conscious decision to do or wear, go to it, but not for something you have zero control over.  That's not comedy, that's just being an ahole to get laughs at the expense of someone else's suffering.  

We should never be ok with that

Interesting.  However you do realize the joke was "haha, you look like the lead from G.I. Jane".  Not "haha, you have alopecia".  I mean, are you actually advocating that anytime someone jokes about someone's baldness or hair styling that there should be a violent, physical response?  Should Will Smith have been punched here for example?

Perhaps the "woke" people need to realize how dumb it is when they call for equality of the sexes and then applaud a woman's husband punching the Oscar host for commenting on his wife's hair.  For multiple reasons.  

7 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

In what world is someone that was physically hit without being the one that first threw a physical punch not a victim?

So you are fine with me hitting you cause of whatbyoubsaid about Avery offended me? By your logic you aren't the victim. 

There is a bunch of people on here that have no clue, people claiming others are victim blaming Jada while victim blaming Chris Rock at the same time.

16 minutes ago, Coda said:

Interesting.  However you do realize the joke was "haha, you look like the lead from G.I. Jane".  Not "haha, you have alopecia".  I mean, are you actually advocating that anytime someone jokes about someone's baldness or hair styling that there should be a violent, physical response?  Should Will Smith have been punched here for example?

Perhaps the "woke" people need to realize how dumb it is when they call for equality of the sexes and then applaud a woman's husband punching the Oscar host for commenting on his wife's hair.  For multiple reasons.  

The ironic part is that guy also suffers from alopecia.

11 minutes ago, thrago said:

The ironic part is that guy also suffers from alopecia.

I mean, by stawns' logic the exact reason for the hair loss is irrelevant: it is all beyond the control of the person suffering hair loss.  Apparently by age 50 (Jada's age) 85% of men have significant hair loss of some kind.  Those that shave their heads inevitably get the "Mr. Clean" ribbing or worse.  Nobody I know goes around assaulting people who make those bad jokes, or get their wives/significant others to do so on their behalf.  

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Maher would defend Rocks right to say it, though. 

The victimization of everyone is getting to be too much. All this because Will Smith's ego is bruised. 

Maybe. But what I was disputing was the claim that he is being hailed as a "hero" for saying it. I can find no evidence to support that claim...

35 minutes ago, Odd. said:

People seriously comparing a joke about Alopecia and someone insulting a disabled person? 

Calling a disabled person or anyone for that matter a “retard” is an insult, not a joke. 

Regardless, we don’t just get to physically assault someone because of a joke or an insult, society doesn’t work like that. 

I can’t believe there are people defending Smith’s actions.

Because he's Will Smith... if he was Joe Smith it'd probably be a different story altogether.  

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

JPS is bald at the moment because she choose to shave her head. She still have hair, it is just patchy and have a receding hairline. It is not like she is bald cause all her hair fell off like a cancer patient going through chemo. 

She choose that hair style. Yes her medical issue aged a part in the decision but it isn't like she have 100% no choice but be bald. 

So as long as someone doesn't have a severe form of a disease they're fair game?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

So as long as someone doesn't have a severe form of a disease they're fair game?

You said if she choose it. She choose that hair style while there are ample other hair style she could have choose with the hair she have.

Edited by 24K PureCool

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe. But what I was disputing was the claim that he is being hailed as a "hero" for saying it. I can find no evidence to support that claim...

yeah I haven't seen that one. 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

the problem with your line of thinking is you are making up the rules. The US has freedom of speech and hate speech laws. If it fits in that, its fair game. 

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

In what world is someone that was physically hit without being the one that first threw a physical punch not a victim?

So you are fine with me hitting you cause of what you said about Avery offended me? By your logic you aren't the victim. 

You make about as much sense as a yapping poodle.

I am sensing this a threat so I do warn you.... back off...

Edited by GB5
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the problem with your line of thinking is you are making up the rules. The US has freedom of speech and hate speech laws. If it fits in that, its fair game. 

I have a higher bar for decent human behaviour........so should everyone

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You said if she choose it. She choose that hair style while there are ample other hair style she could have choose with the hair she have.

I mentioned in the worlds events thread that Chris Rock is very conscious of hair and the cultural pressure on black women.

He made a great documentary about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Hair

According to Rock, he was inspired to make the movie after his three-year-old daughter Lola asked him, "Daddy, how come I don't have good hair?" She has curly, wiry hair typical of many people of African descent. He realized she had already absorbed the perception among some black people that curly hair was not "good".[3]

Rock delves into the $9 billion black hair industry, and visits such places as beauty salons, barbershops, and hairstyling conventions to explore popular approaches to styling. He visits scientific laboratories to learn the science behind chemical relaxers that straighten hair.[3][4]

Chris has said he didn't know about Jada's condition.

Maybe, just maybe he thought she would like the joke? Maybe, he spotted that she wasn't worried about having 'good hair' and was showing that strong women can have any style that they want? maybe. Maybe he actually thought that looking like Demi Moore was cool instead of the overdone good hair styles that he discusses in his doc? Maybe.

What isn't a maybe is the idea to physically attack a person over a joke. 

Will has admitted he was completely wrong and has directly apologised to Chris. 

Maybe more people should give it the thought that Will did and see the error in their support of violence.

One thing that hasn't been said about the joke is that it's a bad reference because GIJane came out 25 years ago, not because it's teasing bald heads.

30 minutes ago, GB5 said:

You make about as much sense as a yapping poodle.

I am sensing this a threat so I do warn you.... back off...

Interesting...you seem to actually prefer a society where people don't hit others when they're offended by a joke or a comment.  It's almost like our criminal code exists as it does for a reason.  

I think females with bald heads can look really good. I think Jada looks good.

I had a friend that had that style for years in the 90's. She was an actor and got lots of parts, very pretty.

My wife used to consider it. We have always enjoyed people brave enough to rock a different look.

And as far as saying you look like  a bald Demi Moore. Wow what a huge diss. I know many girls that would have taken that as compliment. 

1 minute ago, Coda said:

Interesting...you seem to actually prefer a society where people don't hit others when they're offended by a joke or a comment.  It's almost like our criminal code exists as it does for a reason.  

Not a single pet's n in here has said they're ok with will smith's reaction.  Everyone is in complete agreement there

• Vintage 1